Don't lose hope, there is still $$$ in dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inos369

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recent grad here, I haven't been on sdn for quite some time till now and I've noticed a lot of negativity and worries about the challenges new dentist face. I wanna chime in and shed some light on my experience, hopefully it will lift some of up.
Disclaimer- this thread is directed to everyone not in nyc or California (sorry don't know what to say to you guys)

This is my first year and I'm on track to break $250k, maybe even $300k. I don't work in a rural area, but a nice city with an affluent population. These types of places are all over the country, you just have to look for it. You couldn't pay me enough to go work in rural North Dakota, I didn't join this field to live that kind of lifestyle.

My advice
1. Get in anywhere and just graduate. Trust me, it doesn't matter where you go. My rank was in the bottom third of my class- C's make DMDs
2. Get use to the stress of learning on the job and practicing on real people who actually pay money to see you. I don't care where you went to school, you will not be clinically skilled at all when you enter the work force. Push yourself to attempt more difficult procedures little by little, but don't go Rambo or you're gonna end up with a lawsuit.
3. Don't just be a single crown and simple restorative dentist.. If you wanna survive with the new wave you better do oral surgery, endo, removable, prosth and implants. Know when to refer though!
4. Be kind and caring to your patients, but don't be a push over! If you know a patient needs a crown and they insist on a big filling, do not budge! They will be back when the tooth fractures or causes pain.
5. Do CE and learn things the right way
6. Enjoy life outside of dentistry and have fun!

I know all this sounds cliche, but it's the truth

I know a number of people are doing as well, if not better.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 26 users
That's what people need to hear on this site. Thank you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Love how people believe every single thing they read on here

I work corporate. I've got a good gig going so I'm gonna ride it out for a few years till I'm ready to make a change

Love how people believe every single thing they read on here
If I were you I'd be suspicious too, but hey this actually is the real deal so take it or not. Doesn't affect me

I work corporate. I've got a good gig going so I'm gonna ride it out for a few years till I'm ready to make a change

Is the primary purpose of joining corporate dentistry after graduation to gain speed? Debt payment? Both?

Is the primary purpose of joining corporate dentistry after graduation to gain speed? Debt payment? Both?
This particular job I got just happened to be the best one available- I got lucky. A lot of corporate jobs suck so you have to be careful. A lot of private practice jobs aren't that great either. Location is everything.
Corporate gives you speed and an umbrella of protection so use them. Private practice is hard cause it's totally dependent on the owner who may not be that business savvy or concerned about your interest.

This particular job I got just happened to be the best one available- I got lucky. A lot of corporate jobs suck so you have to be careful. A lot of private practice jobs aren't that great either. Location is everything.
Corporate gives you speed and an umbrella of protection so use them. Private practice is hard cause it's totally dependent on the owner who may not be that business savvy or concerned about your interest.

I gotcha. Thanks again!

Although I don't think this is unbelievable, the problem this post creates is that every person reading this is now thinking, "This is going to be me!" What people need to realize is that for the majority of individuals reading this, this isn't going to be you. Just keep your expectations in checks so you can plan accordingly and don't get disillusioned later in your career choice.

Reactions: 5 users
Although I don't think this is unbelievable, the problem this post creates is that every person reading this is now thinking, "This is going to be me!" What people need to realize is that for the majority of individuals reading this, this isn't going to be you. Just keep your expectations in checks so you can plan accordingly and don't get disillusioned later in your career choice.

party pooper storm trooper just marched in.

Reactions: 8 users
My advice
4. Be kind and caring to your patients, but don't be a push over! If you know a patient needs a crown and they insist on a big filling, do not budge! They will be back when the tooth fractures or causes pain.
In your State, it appears that the patient does not have the right to choose what he/she considers to be the best treatment option for him/her.

Nobody said this is going to be us. It's a little refreshing is all.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In your State, it appears that the patient does not have the right to choose what he/she considers to be the best treatment option for him/her.

Doc, I agree patients have the right to choose what they want done...to an extent. At some point I believe a critical decision needs to be made by the doctor whether to stand by clinical judgement, proceed with patient desires or let the patient find anther dentist to do what they want. it's all individual case based. The patient can choose the treatment, but I can also choose to not treat them. Majority of the time even after 2nd opinion they come back

250k salary during your first year NOT in rural areas? LOL...
people who believe this guy must not have any common sense

Says the guy who never worked as a dentist...Believe me it's possible. I know four other ppl in my state who've graduated a year ahead of me that made almost $300k there first year. There making even more this year.

Says the guy who never worked as a dentist...Believe me it's possible. I know four other ppl in my state who've graduated a year ahead of me that made almost $300k there first year. There making even more this year.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Reactions: 3 users

100% FALSE. Actually I know 3 instances of this being true in Massachusetts/Rhode Island, suburbs ~1-2 hours outside of Boston. 2 of them made >200k by working 50 hours a week their first year out, and the third bought right into a practice at the right time when a partner was leaving and basically took all his patients. He made >300k.

Yes dentists are always saying the 160k average you see online is very low and that it must be the "reported" salary. This post is what I have heard a lot lately from recently dental grads in the corporate industry.

Definitely far from the norm but still in the realm of possibility. SDN is a little "sky is falling" when talking about non-rural new grad salaries.
Right everyone in the dental industry are just a bunch of chicken littles lol. I'm not worried.

Definitely far from the norm but still in the realm of possibility. SDN is a little "sky is falling" when talking about non-rural new grad salaries.

if you want real life stories of recent grads go on dental town and see what they have to say..

if you want real life stories of recent grads go on dental town and see what they have to say..

Whatever you do just don't flood DT with questions. There are already enough crazies on there Don't need it turning to sdn

lol I have been a member of dentaltown for a couple of years... That site is kind of polarizing. There are the guys (some are younger) killing it and then there are the ones complaining. If you want real life stories go shadow dentists in the area where you wish to practice, like I have. Or next time a corporate rep comes and talks to your school ask what the top 10% new grad dentists are earning in their first year.

SDN =/= everyone in the dental industry.
No...I mean the dental industry. I don't limit myself to SDN. I frequent Dentaltown and SDN as well as listen to various podcasts from successful dentists. I also worked in the dental field. This isn't the only platform where individuals have that "sky is falling" mentality. This has been going on since the 1970s.

I know a guy who did $320k his second year in a group practice.

PS - How do you all post on Dental Town? When I signed up I was told that I couldn't participate as a pre-dent and that you have to prove you work in the industry or that you are a dental student.

Doc, I agree patients have the right to choose what they want done...to an extent. At some point I believe a critical decision needs to be made by the doctor whether to stand by clinical judgement, proceed with patient desires or let the patient find anther dentist to do what they want. it's all individual case based. The patient can choose the treatment, but I can also choose to not treat them. Majority of the time even after 2nd opinion they come back
Our responsibility is to diagnose and provide treatment options/recommendations, which are based on experience and "clinical judgement". There are, most certainly, times when a patient's treatment request is the realm of magicians and miracle workers and, unfortunately, there are no dental schools in the country that offer courses in those disciplines. As professionals, we can certainly choose the treatment(s) we are willing to provide. High pressure tactics and treatment philosophies of "my way or the highway" are personal decisions. A composite/amalgam B/U sine crown may not be a "critical decision" that "needs to be made by the doctor".

Last edited:

PS - How do you all post on Dental Town? When I signed up I was told that I couldn't participate as a pre-dent and that you have to prove you work in the industry or that you are a dental student.
I applied as a dental assistant and I had to prove with my job. I never post, I just read.

I am a dental student (and have been for 2.5 years).

Recent grad here, I haven't been on sdn for quite some time till now and I've noticed a lot of negativity and worries about the challenges new dentist face. I wanna chime in and shed some light on my experience, hopefully it will lift some of up.
Disclaimer- this thread is directed to everyone not in nyc or California (sorry don't know what to say to you guys)

This is my first year and I'm on track to break $250k, maybe even $300k. I don't work in a rural area, but a nice city with an affluent population. These types of places are all over the country, you just have to look for it. You couldn't pay me enough to go work in rural North Dakota, I didn't join this field to live that kind of lifestyle.

My advice
1. Get in anywhere and just graduate. Trust me, it doesn't matter where you go. My rank was in the bottom third of my class- C's make DMDs
2. Get use to the stress of learning on the job and practicing on real people who actually pay money to see you. I don't care where you went to school, you will not be clinically skilled at all when you enter the work force. Push yourself to attempt more difficult procedures little by little, but don't go Rambo or you're gonna end up with a lawsuit.
3. Don't just be a single crown and simple restorative dentist.. If you wanna survive with the new wave you better do oral surgery, endo, removable, prosth and implants. Know when to refer though!
5. Do CE and learn things the right way
6. Enjoy life outside of dentistry and have fun!

I know all this sounds cliche, but it's the truth

I know a number of people are doing as well, if not better.
Can you share how you dealt with paying for dental schools and how you are doing on your loans if you took that route?

I did 100% federal loans, about $435k total. As for paying loans back everyone has their own strategies and levels of risks. I'm doing PAYE. After my cost of living and fun expenses the extra money I have is going to savings accounts, long term investment accounts and future business capital.

Last edited:
I did 100% federal loans, about $435k total. As for paying loans back everyone has their own strategies and levels of risks. I'm doing PAYE. After my cost of living and fun expenses the extra money I have is going to savings accounts, long term investment accounts and future business capital.
From which school?

The one that accepted me

Can’t believe it’s been almost 2 years since i made this thread. Thought I’d give a update. First year I ended up making $225k, pretty far off the original 250-300 mark I set myself. I blame this on corporate greed and a few really bad months. Second year I associated in a private office and only worked 10 months of the calendar year, made about $250k.

I’ve got some friends who make as much or more as me, but most make much less. It’s gonna depend heavily on location and personal drive.

Dentistry is no walk in the park, but if you’re willing to make sacrifices and plan accordingly then it can be rewarding.

Not worried about my debt, although it is ballooning. I’m going the loan forgiveness route. Hopefully it’s still around for you all :-/

Reactions: 6 users
Can’t believe it’s been almost 2 years since i made this thread. Thought I’d give a update. First year I ended up making $225k, pretty far off the original 250-300 mark I set myself. I blame this on corporate greed and a few really bad months. Second year I associated in a private office and only worked 10 months of the calendar year, made about $250k.

I’ve got some friends who make as much or more as me, but most make much less. It’s gonna depend heavily on location and personal drive.

Dentistry is no walk in the park, but if you’re willing to make sacrifices and plan accordingly then it can be rewarding.

Not worried about my debt, although it is ballooning. I’m going the loan forgiveness route. Hopefully it’s still around for you all :-/

What locations do you suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@Inos369

I for one like the candidness of your posts. The dentists that work really hard are going to do fine. The dentists who feel like they are owed something because of their "DDS/DMD" are going to be in for a big surprise. It's not just dentistry. Working hard is required of EVERY field.

Curious about your comment of Corporate Greed affecting your bottom line. Can you elaborate on that? I work 3 days Corporate and 3 days Private.

the corporate office I was in just always pushed for more production without any investment into the staff or office. Very low morale, staff getting sent home everyday, insufficient supplies. God forbid I ask for wax-up for a big case all hell breaks loose. Some days I would do $10k and others I'd do $40. eh, it wasn't bad as a first year gig I just didn't have anything more to learn after that one year. I could have stayed and been content with my $200k+ yearly income, I just have bigger goals and get bored easily.

Private practice associateships have their own trade offs as well and they vary widely, but it's been a positive experience for me.

Last edited:
the corporate office I was in just always pushed for more production without any investment into the staff or office. Very low morale, staff getting sent home everyday, insufficient supplies. God forbid I ask for wax-up for a big case all hell breaks loose. Some days I would do $10k and others I'd do $40. eh, it wasn't bad as a first year gig I just didn't have anything more to learn after that one year. I could have stayed and been content with my $200k+ yearly income, I just have bigger goals and get bored easily.

Private practice associateships have their own trade offs as well and they vary widely, but it's been a positive experience for me.
Still paying off your student debt?

Really appreciate the update! Is there any advice you wish someone told you now???

Interesting. How many hours a week do you work?

If i could go back I'd do hpsp. I work 4.5 days a week