Don't think I can make it through dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCDP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously, from everything I've heard and have been reading... class/lab 8-5(meaning get up by like 7 at the latest), then ON TOP OF THAT.... come home and study like 2-3 hours a night just to keep up with the work and I am sure there are days with like 5-6 hours of studying along with class... :eek::eek::wow: I'm sure after 1 week of that I would be like :cryi::arghh::stop:

It's like finals week every week...

Also one random question, do most dental schools have intramural sports like basketball/football and are the teams through the entire university or just the dental school students?

Members don't see this ad.

Judging from your mix of threads---I think you're giving into some nagging perfectionism...of how this is all supposed to unfold. (Or maybe I'm just projecting.) It's normal but futile. Sometimes we need to learn to take each day unto itself.

Regarding studying specifically--my sense about dental school is that there's an easier social impetus to study---because everyone in your year is taking the same stuff all the time. Finals in undergrad, while easier, is like everyone has their own customized hell island.

Reactions: 1 users
Judging from your mix of threads---I think you're giving into some nagging perfectionism...of how this is all supposed to unfold. (Or maybe I'm just projecting.) It's normal but futile. Sometimes we need to learn to take each day unto itself.

Regarding studying specifically--my sense about dental school is that there's an easier social impetus to study---because everyone in your year is taking the same stuff all the time. Finals in undergrad, while easier, is like everyone has their own customized hell island.
Ha I agree with it, I am probably too concerned with how everything will play out but part of it also I think stems from my laziness and constant worrying that it will be my doom. Also the fact that I just have a negative attitude towards having to study...

I guess I need an attitude change and need to realize that the only way to be a dentist is to go through all of this stuff and need to suck it up but man I just hate studying all the time and sleepless nights and just wondering if it's worth the effort a lot...

I hate the system of how we all have to go to school, get a job, work the rest of our lives, etc.....

but I guess there's no way out of that so might as well go for a profession I would actually enjoy rather than doing nothing will life and chilling at home all day.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you wanting us to do, convince you it will be easy or tell you to stop pursuing dentistry?

Reactions: 2 users
What are you wanting us to do, convince you it will be easy or tell you to stop pursuing dentistry?
lol I don't know, just feels nice venting about my worries like this.

Let me tell you, I whine and b*tch about school all the time to friends, family, forums but it helps me get through it and has been working so far through undergrad lol it has gotten me a good gpa so far

If you think you will do well in dental school flying solo, then you are completely mistaken. You will make friends who will help you in your weaker areas and you will in turn help them. You survive dental school with your friends, which will hopefully be many.

Reactions: 1 user
I think we're all concerned. It's normal. We all have the tendency to procrastinate or we would all have 4.0's. If we didn't all have the ability to rise the occasion, we wouldn't be on the precipice of realizing our dreams.