Doris Duke/CRTP/HHMI/Sarnoff Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes. I think they're of no use. If there was a time when they would have an effect, it would be after the interview before offers came out.

I would have to agree with RxnMan on this. I sent an email to the PD of my top program ~1 month ago letting him know that his program was my first choice and that I hoped to get the opportunity to be in his program. Not sure that had any impact on the selection committee's final decision, but I wanted them to know that I was serious about their program and that it wasn't just another program on my list that I applied to.

Members don't see this ad.

Spots are still being offered by DDCF schools...I got one from Penn today

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the call. I'll see you all in Bethesda this August.

wow, congrats rxnman! i'm assuming ur referring to crtp (vs. cloisters), so correct me if i'm wrong.

For those people who have accepted the Cloister offer, have you heard anything back from them (i.e. info regarding what to do next, housing, etc.)? Thanks!

Hi guys. I will be taking a yr off between 2nd and 3rd year to do research. Are there any other year long research program that you could suggest besides Doris Duke and cloisters.
thanks

Hi guys. I will be taking a yr off between 2nd and 3rd year to do research. Are there any other year long research program that you could suggest besides Doris Duke and cloisters.
thanks
Please take a look at the year-off research program part of this forum's FAQ.

Folks, I'm looking to expand the FAQ to include year-off research program interview advice. Even if you didn't get accepted, tell us your experience. If you are interested in helping, then cut and paste the following into a PM to me with your responses -

Program you interviewed at
Trip structure
- Where did you go, how did you get there
- How did you get to the site from the airport, trainstation
- Where did you stay
- Did you pay your way
- Other travel reccomendations
Interview day structure
- How long
- How many interviewers
- How many interviews
- Tours involved? If so, what could you see?
Interview Prep
- What did you do to prepare?
- What worked well, what didn't
- Funny/odd questions you were asked :laugh:

All participants will be referenced for their contributions (unless requested otherwise). All contributions will be added into the FAQ under the respective program's FAQ entry.

^ RxnMan, great idea to add to the FAQ. I found that section very helpful as I was trying to figure out if I should do a fellowship and what programs I should look at. Hopefully we can get a lot more contributions to it. I will try to add to it if I find some time in between board studying.

A 2nd year med student here looking to apply next year. Now that some of the programs have gotten back to people and positions offered; I was wondering if some people could comment on how they went about compiling a successful application for CRTP/Cloisters/etc. Thanks.

I spoke to my FA department today and they mentioned that for the loan deferment I would need to do the grace period for 6 months first and then apply for deferment with my lender. This would use up my 6 months of grace period and basically screw me over after I graduate from medical school. Isn't there some other way?

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke to my FA department today and they mentioned that for the loan deferment I would need to do the grace period for 6 months first and then apply for deferment with my lender. This would use up my 6 months of grace period and basically screw me over after I graduate from medical school. Isn't there some other way?

The only time I've ever heard this even be a concern is from RxnMan, and I believe it is entirely unfounded...I don't even know how this became a concern at all.
Hmmm...:rolleyes:

/sarcasm

HC - Go to your dean. This is not a new problem, your school must have sent a kid to HHMI before without screwing him over. Find out how it was done last time.

I spoke to the program administrator of the DD program that I will be attending. They mentioned that the national DD foundation will write up a letter stating my involvement in a predoctoral research fellowship, bla bla bla...etc. and that I can send this to my lender. She said that past fellows have not had problems with putting their loans into deferment for the year. I did not press her for info regarding what that meant and the details of the deferment. I am curious what current/past DD & HHMI fellows did in this regard.

So I called up Wachovia (my med-school loan lender) and I guess there should not be a problem with my taking a year off. When I leave med-school and begin the fellowship I'm suppose to call them and tell them there is a change in my status as I am doing the fellowship. Then the 6 month grace period starts. After the 6 month period is when I am able to apply for the deferment. The loan officer said that once I become a full time medical student again, the grace period resets, so it should not affect my grace period after I graduate from med-school. I would recommend for those that are worried about this issue to call up your lender and see what they say.

I would have to agree with RxnMan on this. I sent an email to the PD of my top program ~1 month ago letting him know that his program was my first choice and that I hoped to get the opportunity to be in his program. Not sure that had any impact on the selection committee's final decision, but I wanted them to know that I was serious about their program and that it wasn't just another program on my list that I applied to.

Another perspective. I did the Cloister program from 2006-2007 (feel free to PM about applying, who to work with at the NIH, etc...) I wrote thank you letters to all my interviewers. I met one of the interviewers later during a lunch and he remembered me. He told me that his secretary only delivered the letter to him after final decisions were made, in order to keep the playing field level. I would still recommend writing TY letters though since he did note he appreciated the gesture.

Hmmm...:rolleyes:

/sarcasm

HC - Go to your dean. This is not a new problem, your school must have sent a kid to HHMI before without screwing him over. Find out how it was done last time.

It's pretty clear that I wasn't talking about the financial aid issues of the fellowship but rather responding to your rather disturbing implication that being a fellow would somehow make you a 5 year student/non-senior and be a disadvantage or "red flag" in the residency application process.

Random question: anyone know how the stipends work i.e. when our first check will come? Trying to budget out my remaining loan money. =)

It's pretty clear that I wasn't talking about the financial aid issues of the fellowship but rather responding to your rather disturbing implication that being a fellow would somehow make you a 5 year student/non-senior and be a disadvantage or "red flag" in the residency application process.

I agree - I was also confused by your "red flag" comment. But anyways, looks like my fin-aid office works the same way - you do in fact wait the 6mos then apply for a deferment. I guess my office here was helpful :love:

So I have a question to those taking a year off (M2's): are you still taking step 1 by the date required by the school (eg. at most schools, a certain point in time/the day before you would have started M3) - or are you going to figure out housing stuff upfront, and push back step 1 by a week or so. I guess my real question is how flexible is your home institution in the date which you much complete step 1 before you begin your fellowship?

I agree - I was also confused by your "red flag" comment. But anyways, looks like my fin-aid office works the same way - you do in fact wait the 6mos then apply for a deferment. I guess my office here was helpful :love:

So I have a question to those taking a year off (M2's): are you still taking step 1 by the date required by the school (eg. at most schools, a certain point in time/the day before you would have started M3) - or are you going to figure out housing stuff upfront, and push back step 1 by a week or so. I guess my real question is how flexible is your home institution in the date which you much complete step 1 before you begin your fellowship?

I am doing an HHMI fellowship at my home institution, and they allow students to take Step I whenever they want. That being said, I don't want this test hanging over my head for too long, so I'm aiming for June/July.

Random question: anyone know how the stipends work i.e. when our first check will come? Trying to budget out my remaining loan money. =)

I know for me at my DDCF program the first check is the end of July. I think they pay the last day of each month.

For which program? For the CRTP, you get $2000 upfront to pay your first month's rent and to get you going, then you get payed on the first of the month.

For which program? For the CRTP, you get $2000 upfront to pay your first month's rent and to get you going, then you get payed on the first of the month.

diosa - Are you doing the crtp now? Would you be able to tell us what exactly is provided in the "fully-furnished apts"? Also, I vaguely remember someone mentioning something about a computer stipend. Is this still available and how/when would we get it? Thanx!!

diosa - Are you doing the crtp now? Would you be able to tell us what exactly is provided in the "fully-furnished apts"? Also, I vaguely remember someone mentioning something about a computer stipend. Is this still available and how/when would we get it? Thanx!!

The bedrooms have a desk, queen sized bed, nightstand, bureau and bookshelf. The living room has a couch, 2 chairs, a coffee table and 2 end tables. The dining room has a table and 4 chairs. The kitchen has a microwave, toaster, dishes and pots and pans. Ours also had a coffee maker. I'm not sure how much appliances vary by apartment. The apartments with wood floors also have rugs (some of them are carpeted though).

I believe that our class was the last year they were offering the computer stipend, but I'm not 100% sure.

diosa - Also, I vaguely remember someone mentioning something about a computer stipend. Is this still available and how/when would we get it? Thanx!!

It used to be something like 31K + $1200 computer stipend, now it's 33K w/o a computer stipend. I'm still planning on getting a new laptop. =)

In case next years applicants are interested, the DDCF program gives you a $27K stipend (tax free), $5K for computer/lab expenses, health insurance provided by sponsoring university, and various funds for travel to national meetings to present.

I'm a potential 2010-2011 cycle applicant and was wondering if anyone has some advice regarding a good time to begin contacting potential mentors for HHMI med fellows and DDRF. Thanks.

I'm a potential 2010-2011 cycle applicant and was wondering if anyone has some advice regarding a good time to begin contacting potential mentors for HHMI med fellows and DDRF. Thanks.

When I was in your position I started looking at labs and potential mentors late summer/early fall prior to submitting my application. That will give you several months to see what kind of research/projects are available in your area of interest, and tailor your personal statement towards that.

diosa - thanks for the info!

It used to be something like 31K + $1200 computer stipend, now it's 33K w/o a computer stipend. I'm still planning on getting a new laptop. =)

:thumbup: me too :laugh:

btw, do you guys know how health insurance works for us? do we just purchase our own? i'm assuming we'll get a lot of this information in due time, but i haven't heard anything from them yet...i'll leave the rest of my detailed logistical questions for later!

...btw, do you guys know how health insurance works for us? do we just purchase our own?...
If you're referring to CRTP, then I spoke to the program coordinators yesterday about insurance. It is a benefit of the program - you'll be provided a plan similar to BC/BS. If you have a family, they can also be covered.

They told me that they will be sending out our (CRTP) paperwork in the next few weeks.

If you're referring to CRTP, then I spoke to the program coordinators yesterday about insurance. It is a benefit of the program - you'll be provided a plan similar to BC/BS. If you have a family, they can also be covered.

They told me that they will be sending out our (CRTP) paperwork in the next few weeks.

Yeah you'll sign up for the health insurance the Monday that you get here. I believe they'll reimburse you up to $1500 if you want to keep your own insurance, but I *highly* recommend the BCBS program. It's what all government employees get (including the senators, etc) and it is pretty great. $10 copays, decent prescription coverage and everything else is basically free.

I was hoping some of you guys might have experience with this. Im very interested in the HHMI program requested a brochure both electronically and with the mail in post card and still haven't received a brochure. Do they not like my medical school or is it the wrong time of year to be requesting brochures?

I was hoping some of you guys might have experience with this. Im very interested in the HHMI program requested a brochure both electronically and with the mail in post card and still haven't received a brochure. Do they not like my medical school or is it the wrong time of year to be requesting brochures?

How long ago did you put the request in? I can't remember how long it took to get mine, but I would give it 4-6 weeks.

Does anyone know if it is uncommon for students participating in these programs to get published during the fellowship year? Is this expected, or is it more along the line of producing a poster presentation/abstract?

Does anyone know if it is uncommon for students participating in these programs to get published during the fellowship year? Is this expected, or is it more along the line of producing a poster presentation/abstract?
At CRTP, and I believe the HHMI, we formally present findings at the end of the year. There are other multiple opportunities to present througout the year.

You can google for NIH foundation and get a list of former fellows, then cross-reference that with Pubmed.

Doris Duke fellows seem to publish a lot, or at least that's what they list on theier website.

I requested one when I was investigating things, and I don't remember it having any extra content.

There are definitely some different features in the hard copy brochure from HHMI vs. the online "program information" pdf. Whether or not it is necessary is another issue. The online pdf has all the required info regarding the program and application process; more than enough to learn about the program and how to apply. However the hard copy includes this as well as snapshots of past HHMI fellows and quotes from them about their experience at HHMI and what projects they worked on. They also have quotes from current attendings that did the HHMI and how it benefited their careers. In addition the HHMI-NIH brochure includes snap shots of some of the PI's (4-5) at the NIH campus to give an idea of what the PI's projects are and what fellows have worked on in the past. Also the color pictures are cool. :D Is the hard copy necessary to have? No. Is it beneficial, I would say yes imho.

Do you think requesting a brochure over the phone might help? I called several weeks back and it went straight to voice mail.

I personally used the online request off the HHMI website. That worked perfectly for me. I think I requested the information in July/August of last year. I know they are busy getting everything setup for the fellows that are starting this summer. Not sure if that is influencing how quickly they can get the brochure out to you. The brochure just might not be at the priority of their list at the moment. You can always call/email to make sure they got your initial request.

I've put my CRTP interview experience in the FAQ. For everyone else, please consider sending me your stories. You can do so easily by cutting and pasting the Q's below with your A's into a PM to me.

Program you interviewed at
Trip structure
- Where did you go, how did you get there
- How did you get to the site from the airport, trainstation
- Where did you stay
- Did you pay your way
- Other travel reccomendations
Interview day structure
- How long
- How many interviewers
- How many interviews
- Tours involved? If so, what could you see?
Interview Prep
- What did you do to prepare?
- What worked well, what didn't
- Funny/odd questions you were asked :laugh:

All participants will be referenced for their contributions (unless requested otherwise). All contributions will be added into the FAQ under the respective program's FAQ entry.

Dantt: this has nothing to do with your medical school (unless you're FMG).

They have been very busy putting together the med fellows/scholars end-of-the-year meeting. Call them next week and ask Min Lee or Puller Lanigan to send you a brochure. They will.

Can anyone from the cloisters program comment on what the convent rooms are like? I'm going to be at the program next year and was hoping for one of the apartments but got assigned to a convent room instead. Are the shared kitchen and bathroom generally clean? Is there anything that's worth bringing (the inventory list made it seem like all we needed to bring was our clothes)?

Anyone want to ask me a question about the CRTP, feel free to post it here, or PM it to me and I'll de-identify it.

Best of luck to this year's applicants.

I'll be applying this year. Keeping my fingers crossed.

From a poster:
...The application process seems very vague and I am wondering what the interview and acceptance percentage is for these programs. Also, any suggestions for other research year programs that don't require you to write a research proposal...
I can definitively answer questions about the NIH-CRTP, and I remember some things about HHMI and other programs.

I heard that the HHMI program gets ~200 applications a year for the 42 seats in their program. I don't know how many applicants are invited to interview there. I know the NIH-CRTP program received 142 or so apps last year, 60 were invited to interview, and 30 ended up in the program. NIH-CRTP pays for you to interview, so there's very little cost to you beyond the effort of putting together an app. Many people from my NIH-CRTP interview also were going to interview at Cloisters.

I didn't have to write a research proposal prior to starting at the NIH-CRTP, and I don't think you have to for Cloisters. (but I wrote one after I started in my lab!) For the HHMI Fellows program, you need to put together a proposal before you start at your proposed PI's. I am not sure about the other programs.

Check the FAQ for links to the different year-out programs, which should have updated info for this year's applicants.

I'm currently in the process of writing a proposal for HHMI. Any advice from former med fellows? Any chance anybody could share an example of a successful proposal?