Dorm life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Supafly MD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may need to live in a dorm for first-year because that is all the housing that's left on campus. I have been advised that's the best option for me(no car, no furniture etc) However, having never seen the dorms(plus its insanely cheap), I am really anxious about this. I think med school is stressful enough and it would be great to have a comfortable pad to come home to would helpt to manage the stress. Do you guys think dorm life will be unbearable?

Members don't see this ad.

No. I lived in the dorms throughout my undergraduate academic career and really thoroughly loved it. Dorm life takes much of the stress out. You don't have to clean the bathrooms or cook for yourself! I was never bothered by noise. And it's CHEAP! Go for it, you're lucky to have any on-campus housing.. You'll thank yourself when paying off the loans.

I don't think dorm living is necessarily cheap. i mean what was it for that ****hole we lived in freshman yr dr dodger dog? like 600/month to share a small ass room.

nahhhh. dorm sucks. apts way better. where r u gonna entertain the company u bring home in a dorm?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget about all the loud A$$ annoying undergrads...:laugh:

UCLA Paratrooper

I spent all of undergrad living in the dorms, and I liked living in the dorms at the time--meeting people, meal plans, etc.

HOWEVER, realistically thinking, living in the dorms while in med school could be very bad. If you're in some type of graduate student housing, it'd probably be fine and great for your situation. If it had been a feasible option for me, I'd probably have done it. But if you will be living in the dorms with all the 18 yr old freshmen who are enjoying the freedom from mom and dad for the first time in their lives, you will have to put up with all of the obnoxiousness that goes along with that. My house for first-year was next to keg party central and it drove us CRAZY, especially around exam times--and in the dorms it would be far more annoying and loud to put up with that. Med school exams cover far more material and memorization than undergrad---you'll have to spend more time studying....and you'll likely have less patience in dealing with dorm-dwellers, noise, etc.

What about a roommate? Would you get your own room or would you be randomly assigned with someone? That also could be problematic depending on what type of person your roomie is and how respectful they are of your situation and being a med student. Med school is stressful enough on it's own---try to find the best living situation you can, be that in the dorms or otherwise.

I love the dorm:love: And hope to live there during med school. It's soo much better, guarunteed meals, don't have to worry about rent, access to the gym and campus activites!! I think it's great but roomates can be yuck, but you will have those regardless.

Well, the dorm I'm going to is only biomed grad students, dentistry students, and medstudents. So, they should have some element of maturity...no 18yr olds(Thank, God!)

And, I was thinking this could be a temporary solution until I get a car and get settled in the city. The rent is really dirt cheap...170/mo. This is a good thing but it can also make you skeptical....