Dorms or apartment for NYU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental916

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are the dorms arranged at NYU? Do you get your own room or do you share rooms etc? Also for first years, would you recommend living in the dorms and how much do apartments run ( rough estimate)? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Dental916 said:
How are the dorms arranged at NYU? Do you get your own room or do you share rooms etc? Also for first years, would you recommend living in the dorms and how much do apartments run ( rough estimate)? thanks.

I don't know the details of their dorm situation, but I do know that you could find something much less costly. I'll be getting an apartment with my bro, so with the help of a friend we should be able to get an apartment for around 1200-1400 a month. I'm sure there are cheaper apartments, but we're looking for something that has walls.

RxTech said:
I don't know the details of their dorm situation, but I do know that you could find something much less costly. I'll be getting an apartment with my bro, so with the help of a friend we should be able to get an apartment for around 1200-1400 a month. I'm sure there are cheaper apartments, but we're looking for something that has walls.

Congrats man. More than likely will be going to nyu because so far that is my only acceptance. When do you plan to go apartment shopping? I was thinking dorms would be good for the first year because it'll be very easy to meet people, but the dorms are a lil expensive. Also...the apartment that your are looking for 1200-1400....does that have one bedroom or two? I hope in the dorms....we each get a room.

Dental916 said:
Congrats man. More than likely will be going to nyu because so far that is my only acceptance. When do you plan to go apartment shopping? I was thinking dorms would be good for the first year because it'll be very easy to meet people, but the dorms are a lil expensive. Also...the apartment that your are looking for 1200-1400....does that have one bedroom or two? I hope in the dorms....we each get a room.

Shopping will not begin until late May. You should choose the best option that's best for your needs. Therefore, if its the dorms you like then go right ahead and get one. For that price range we can only get one bedroom.