Sainttpk

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2004
164
0
40
Status
Ok so did the post get your attention?

D.O.'s are doctors of course, but let me tell you a story about a stupid lawyer who said D.O.s are not real doctors.

So as many of you may know I am a 2nd year law student, and in my bioethics class, one of the law students stated that a D.O. is really just a doctor who could not get into a real medical school. I was sooooo Pissed I just about knocked his ass on the ground. I just wanted to vent to someone here. Anyways, some people are so ignorant!!

T
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
Sainttpk said:
Ok so did the post get your attention?

D.O.'s are doctors of course, but let me tell you a story about a stupid lawyer who said D.O.s are not real doctors.

So as many of you may know I am a 2nd year law student, and in my bioethics class, one of the law students stated that a D.O. is really just a doctor who could not get into a real medical school. I was sooooo Pissed I just about knocked his ass on the ground. I just wanted to vent to someone here. Anyways, some people are so ignorant!!

T
I thought that's what a lawyer is.

:laugh:








Ok Ok----so this only applies to my roommate from college......
 

dr.z

15+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
4,096
4
Detroit, MI
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Sainttpk said:
Ok so did the post get your attention?

D.O.'s are doctors of course, but let me tell you a story about a stupid lawyer who said D.O.s are not real doctors.

So as many of you may know I am a 2nd year law student, and in my bioethics class, one of the law students stated that a D.O. is really just a doctor who could not get into a real medical school. I was sooooo Pissed I just about knocked his ass on the ground. I just wanted to vent to someone here. Anyways, some people are so ignorant!!

T
I hear you. I read a few threads on allo forum that stated the same thing law student did.
 

Hets

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2004
31
0
Status
yup... found a couple recent threads on the allo that stated the same junk. of course most of these people are PRE allo...
 

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2003
2,336
6
Status
Attending Physician
You reminded me of a funny story:

At Big State University, the pre-medical club and the pre-law club held their initial meetings for incoming freshmen next door to one another in the student commons. The pre-med club meeting was packed--standing room only. But only 3 freshmen showed up for the pre-law meeting. One of the pre-laws asked the coordinator, "How come there are so few of us here interested in law school?"

The coordinator answered, "Oh, don't worry. Most of those guys next door are pre-law too. They just don't know it yet!"
 

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2003
2,336
6
Status
Attending Physician
I have to admit that I have, on occasion, made jokes at the expense of osteopathy. But only because it's entertaining to see how folks get their panties all twisted up in defense. No harm intended!
 

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2004
1,130
1
Status
I have to admit that I have, on occasion, made jokes at the expense of osteopathy. But only because it's entertaining to see how folks get their panties all twisted up in defense. No harm intended!
Yeah that's hilarious when people work their asses off doing the very exact same thing allo students do then enter a profession doing the same exact work with the same exact compensation and people somehow don't recognize that.

I was explaining osteopathy to a group of anal premeds who didn't even KNOW what DOs were. In the middle of my explanation they interject with, "oh you mean a quack?"...It pisses me off so much. I'm applying to both MD and DO next year and honestly I'd be so happy to be a DO but this just exasperates me so much. How do you guys deal with this reaction, even if it by complete dumba****.
 

LVDoc

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
250
1
Status
SDN isn't representative of the real world, and sure enough, you are bound to find more apparent, ignorant opinions here than anywhere else. Most of the trouble I have in explaining "What is a D.O." stems from this site. Everyone else I've talked to, including friends, family, strangers, and other "anal pre-meds" alike, all have been receptive to it. They only ask me one question, if anything, which is "are they doctors?" Come my reply, they could care less anymore about the philosophy so long as they know a D.O. is a physician, a person they'll probably be treated by or may see some fine day. I'm not saying that all of my experiences have been positive, but neither have I had any disgusting remarks thrown back at me either. When you get a bunch of pre-meds in a group, things always go ugly. Reminds me of the reason why I stayed away from those pre-health professional clubs.
 

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2003
2,336
6
Status
Attending Physician
crys20 said:
How do you guys deal with this reaction, even if it by complete dumba****.
I think the key to coping with negativism and prejudice is confidence. This means being willing to cheerfully communicate the truth over and over again as necessary. The best way to communicate it is by example. Osteopathic doctors demonstrate every day that their chosen path in education matches or exceeds that of their fellow doctors who chose an allopathic education.

But on the other hand, reacting with defensiveness and an escalation of insults is self-defeating, and furthermore smacks of an inferiority complex. I wouldn't, for example, call people *******es just because they are unenlightened. Don't let it make you mad. Just set them straight. :thumbup:

I suppose this might read as a little patronizing, but not by intent. I've got a lot of stuff in my life that requires explanation, so I've had to learn how to cope with negativism and prejudice.
 

stoic

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2000
7,628
340
sodom, south georgia
crys20 said:
Yeah that's hilarious when people work their asses off doing the very exact same thing allo students do then enter a profession doing the same exact work with the same exact compensation and people somehow don't recognize that.

I was explaining osteopathy to a group of anal premeds who didn't even KNOW what DOs were. In the middle of my explanation they interject with, "oh you mean a quack?"...It pisses me off so much. I'm applying to both MD and DO next year and honestly I'd be so happy to be a DO but this just exasperates me so much. How do you guys deal with this reaction, even if it by complete dumba****.
you just have to be above their ignorance. if you let it piss you off, it sort of validates them. just inform them of the error in their views and move on. if they want to talk down, that's great. but they'll probably have a hard time explaining it to their DO attendings/supervising resident.
 

fullefect1

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2003
790
0
34
Mass
Status
liverotcod said:
You reminded me of a funny story:

At Big State University, the pre-medical club and the pre-law club held their initial meetings for incoming freshmen next door to one another in the student commons. The pre-med club meeting was packed--standing room only. But only 3 freshmen showed up for the pre-law meeting. One of the pre-laws asked the coordinator, "How come there are so few of us here interested in law school?"

The coordinator answered, "Oh, don't worry. Most of those guys next door are pre-law too. They just don't know it yet!"
Hahaha....
 

acarson

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2003
29
1
Springfield, Mo
Visit site
Status
Pre-Medical
I've said it before, but it bears repeating. I work at an ER with many DOs and MDs. There is no internal conflict between the two groups. They don't look down on one another, and they don't form cliques excluding one another. I'm not saying everyone lives in perfect harmony, but the rifts do not occur along the MD/DO divisions. There are some DOs who are extremely well-respected, and there are some MDs who don't know their butts from a whole in the ground. I really think most of this MD/DO conflict evaporates when med school begins...I hope!
 

Dr Faith

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
9
0
Status
Well I'm sure not all lawyers are like that. There are good and bad lawyers just like there are good and bad doctors.

Btw, in the thread title I think it's "doctors" not "doctor's"

But I agree with you, saying DOs are just people who can't get into a real medical school is like saying lawyers are just people who can't get into a real medical school. :D I'm sorry, I just know too many people who quit medicine to become lawyers, accountants, treasure hunters etc.
 

Holistic

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2004
67
0
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
This whole conflict goes away once you start medical school. My friend goes tp UTMB and at the start of the first year they got a lecture on DO's. They basically said they get the same training as MD's and extra training in OMM which they dont believe works, but nonetheless the DO's are no different when it comes to knowledge.

As for when your doctors out in the community. All that matters to patients is a good reputation, and MD's and DO's alike care about referals. If your a good doctor you get referals and give referals. My dad is a DO FP. He along with his DO counterparts all get wined and dined by MD's all time, and MD's refer patients to my dad on a regular basis(so much in fact he only takes new patients under rare circumstances). It is all about a good reputation, so remember whether you graduate from Harvard Medical School or TCOM it doesnt really matter, your both doctors and patients typically dont ask where you went to school.

In the end, the true test of your abilities are judged by your patients and the other doctors in the community you settle into. So when folks on this forum talk as though DO's are inferior, they are just warped pre-med minds who have spent to much time in library, and not anough time in the real world. Pay no attention to their comments and dont get defensive, because in reality they will not be the judge of your abilities. In the end these same folks might be humbled by a DO in a community or kiss a DO's @#% for referals. Right now these guys are to busy worrying about stats and standardized test scores to understand that these numbers dont mean @#$% to your future patients just adcoms.
 

premeddo

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
64
0
42
Texas
Visit site
Status
OSUdoc08 said:
I thought that's what a lawyer is.

:laugh:








Ok Ok----so this only applies to my roommate from college......


LOL!!! true! Thats what I thought aswell!
 

VPDcurt

2K Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
2,644
23
Status
Attending Physician
It is threads such as this one that serve to portray just how defensive DOs have become. Don't make it such an issue and you will be surprised to see it diminish rather rapidly. Notice how there are rarely such threads on the pre-allo board. It is not something most people care to talk about so there is no reason to make yourselves out to be the victims all the time. If you chose DO as a profession, then stick with it and be confident with your choice.
 

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
3,068
42
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Sainttpk said:
Ok so did the post get your attention?

D.O.'s are doctors of course, but let me tell you a story about a stupid lawyer who said D.O.s are not real doctors.

So as many of you may know I am a 2nd year law student, and in my bioethics class, one of the law students stated that a D.O. is really just a doctor who could not get into a real medical school. I was sooooo Pissed I just about knocked his ass on the ground. I just wanted to vent to someone here. Anyways, some people are so ignorant!!

T

well u should have grinned and said, "i have a joke for you... what do you call the pre-med who couldn't get into med school? ....a lawyer! har har har"