DOs: Employment Discrimination?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandemicpremed97

Reaction score
I saw a similar post on this but after a couple of responses it evolved into people arguing lol.

I wanted to know if DO's face employment discrimination after residency?

I live in CA and am considering EM. Do you think I'll have difficulties getting hired at a CA hospital?

Members don't see this ad.

Based on the posts in the EM forums I think you'll have more difficulty finding a job due to the EM part than the DO part

Reactions: 11 users
I saw a similar post on this but after a couple of responses it evolved into people arguing lol.

I live in CA and am considering EM. Do you think I'll have difficulties getting hired at a CA hospital?
Nope.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Only time you might see it is at certain highly ranked academic programs that have older PDs

Reactions: 3 users
Getting hired after residency has more to do with connections and references than MD vs. DO. The only reason why I’d see DOs having a harder time finding jobs in California would be due to lack of connections, as getting a residency position in California is competitive (for most, but not all specialties).

Reactions: 1 user
Can't speak for California, I live in the East. Unless the group is run by a bunch of Ivy Leaguers who are pedigree snobs, then you probably have little to worry about.. Coming from a good residency and having a connection to the group is probably most important.. Academic appointments at Ivory Towers might be a different situation.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
2020 NRMP Main Residency Match shows 229 EM PGY-1 available in CA.

MD Sr. match = 183
DO Sr. match = 27

Easy peasy.

Edit: I thought you meant residency. Dont know about post residency.

Attachments

• Specialty-by-State-and-Applicant-Type_2020.pdf
    152.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
2020 NRMP Main Residency Match shows 229 EM PGY-1 available in CA.

MD Sr. match = 183
DO Sr. match = 27

Easy peasy.

Edit: I thought you meant residency. Dont know about post residency.
this is still good info. So does that mean 27 DO students applied for EM residencies in CA and they all got it? Or more than 27 applied but 27 got it?

this is still good info. So does that mean 27 DO students applied for EM residencies in CA and they all got it? Or more than 27 applied but 27 got it?
I wonder about that my self. I can only say that most CA kids have to leave the state to attend med school and most want to come back for residency and/or practice to be near family. So, I think there is a **** load of applicants for every residency program in CA, even at crapy locations.

I wonder about that my self. I can only say that most CA kids have to leave the state to attend med school and most want to come back for residency and/or practice to be near family. So, I think there is a **** load of applicants for every residency program in CA, even at crapy locations.
Sigh I’ll just suck it up and do my res out of state lol as long as I can come back after

I know there are definitely small PP anesthesia groups that are exclusive to MD only and will not even consider a DO. These are not all that common though based on what I've seen.

You’ll have no shortage of patients. Crisis in EM is real, however, in EM, patients come to you, not the other way around. EM is one of the least discriminating specialties. There are many Prominent DOs in EM. You’ll have no trouble, other than general crisis of over supply of EM physicians.

Reactions: 1 users
psychiatrist here. Employers could have cared less that I was DO. Still got about 50 phone calls/emails a day from recruiters