DOs in neurolgy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShrubbyDoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have 2 main questions:

1) I was just wondering how hard it is to match into a neuro residency if you are a DO? Do you have to have higher board scores and grades?

2) What are some really DO friendly programs?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

For you DO's I'm guessing that you will have a harder time getting into the more competitive programs. Nevertheless, you'll likely match at a great program, even though Neuro has been getting slightly more competitive each year. Certain programs tend to be more numbers-oriented than others and care more about board scores and name of your medical school, but depending on what you value, you may decide that those types of programs aren't right for you anyway. There's a lot of really great Neuro programs out there, and with an earnest interest for Neurology, a sincere and nice personality, along with LOR's from people who have worked with you, these will undoubtedly be the main factors for most of the places that grant you an interview. No matter what, don't get discouraged from reading forums like these, b/c you may get a somewhat skewed idea of what the real applicant pool is like, since people that tend to look better on paper are more likely to post their stats online. For many programs, they just want applicants who will be nice colleagues in the future.

Hope this helps,
:)

i am a 4th year student from UNECOM.

i just recently matched at UMass Med. great program, and it was my first choice. i applied to most all of the neuro programs in the new england region. brown, bu, and dartmouth were also high favorites. i interviewd at all, save for a couple. i did not bother with the usmle. if you have above average comlex scores, a solid academic record, and a sincere interest in neuro, you are going to do great. i think your clinical years (do some neuro electives!) and LORs are what help especially. umass also has a dually accredited internship program, which is also conveniant. uconn does too. if you really want neurology, there is nothing stopping you. neuro a growing field with a great osteopath growing interest.

hope this helps, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
how important is research?

i'm a first year and am thinking of getting involved in a project this summer
osteo2005 said:
i am a 4th year student from UNECOM.

i just recently matched at UMass Med. great program, and it was my first choice. i applied to most all of the neuro programs in the new england region. brown, bu, and dartmouth were also high favorites. i interviewd at all, save for a couple. i did not bother with the usmle. if you have above average comlex scores, a solid academic record, and a sincere interest in neuro, you are going to do great. i think your clinical years (do some neuro electives!) and LORs are what help especially. umass also has a dually accredited internship program, which is also conveniant. uconn does too. if you really want neurology, there is nothing stopping you. neuro a growing field with a great osteopath growing interest.

hope this helps, good luck!

FowlersGap said:
how important is research?

i'm a first year and am thinking of getting involved in a project this summer

do research if you have a genuine interest. i have run into several med students who start working in labs for long hours just for the sake of 'beefing' up their transcript...they are usually not too happy. but, it is something they feel is needed. this was not the impression that i got during my interview season. i have done research, but it was not neurologically related. and, besides, it only came up once in an interview for discussion. they like hearing about your neuro elective experience, and anything else that you did aside from med school classes and clinical rotations. research is not as high ranking as i thought it would be.

the truth of the matter is that most neuro residents don't have time for research during their training. from what i keep hearing, neuro research is saved for the fellows and attendings these days. neuro residency programs have a more valued interested in clinically sound applicants because it is going to be a clinically based training program that you will be expected to excel at. :)

HEy Dong Feng...

I really like what you wrote. As a non-DO I have to say I have met lots of DO's in neuro programs (including the one I matched at) and they have all been very very cool. And I think what you wrote is very true. especially about only the most competitive people posting their stats.

go neuro!
go DO!

dongfeng41 said:
Hi,

For you DO's I'm guessing that you will have a harder time getting into the more competitive programs. Nevertheless, you'll likely match at a great program, even though Neuro has been getting slightly more competitive each year. Certain programs tend to be more numbers-oriented than others and care more about board scores and name of your medical school, but depending on what you value, you may decide that those types of programs aren't right for you anyway. There's a lot of really great Neuro programs out there, and with an earnest interest for Neurology, a sincere and nice personality, along with LOR's from people who have worked with you, these will undoubtedly be the main factors for most of the places that grant you an interview. No matter what, don't get discouraged from reading forums like these, b/c you may get a somewhat skewed idea of what the real applicant pool is like, since people that tend to look better on paper are more likely to post their stats online. For many programs, they just want applicants who will be nice colleagues in the future.

Hope this helps,
:)

I happened upon the neuro forums as I was looking for threads on good texts for an upcoming neuro clerkship. One of the professors in the OP&P department at COMP is a neurologist. At a quick glance, I believe I've had two classmates who matched to neuro... one in Baylor and another at Penn State (I think). There might be more, but definitely anything is possible.

Hey Osteo2005:
Congrats on Umass Med. Which one of my fine feathered classmates might you be?
I was perusing this board as I was one thinking of child neuro (though it's a bit lower on my list now)
Best o' luck. It's getting close enough to hear them polishing the seats at Merril auditorium for us (yippee)