DO's to surgery????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems that DO's have no problem getting primary care residencies, but how difficult is it for DO's to get surgery residencies (specifically general surgery) and fellowships (plastics, cardiothoracic...etc) after completeing residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

fellowships are generally not extremely competitive, however the residency itself leading up to the fellowship can be torture to get into...

Very difficult to get into MD surgery programs as a D.O......I don't know anyone that has done it....

Members don't see this ad :)
Vince said:
Very difficult to get into MD surgery programs as a D.O......I don't know anyone that has done it....

Then you dont know very many people.

Vince said:
I know people that have done it, but not many. Over the past few years GS has gotten increasingly competitive thus you may find some PGYIII and up DO residents, but it has gotten more difficult over the past couple years.

I always wonderd, could one do a osteo surgery program then do a ACGME fellowship?

raider, i think your question has been asked on here somewhere before and they said yes because its not too competitive to get fellowships. most ppl jump ship after their residency. i dont know where that thread is though so you might look for it...

raidermedic said:
I always wonderd, could one do a osteo surgery program then do a ACGME fellowship?

Yes , it can be done. But to get Board certification for that sub-speciality (let's say you want to do it in vascular surgery) you have to file a petition with American osteopathic surgery board (which I have heard is not at all difficult nowadays).
You can check out this link for more information, it is very informative especially the last three or four posts...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=126528

Mandar

mandar said:
Yes , it can be done. But to get Board certification for that sub-speciality (let's say you want to do it in vascular surgery) you have to file a petition with American osteopathic surgery board (which I have heard is not at all difficult nowadays).
You can check out this link for more information, it is very informative especially the last three or four posts...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=126528

Mandar[/QUOTE

to the original poster, of course you can go into surgery. i plan on it this year coming up.in march ill let ya know where im going.there are a lot of nay sayers out there,dont let anyone tell you that cant do surgery. if you want it bad enough, it will find you.

good luck

Definitely Doable, know several guys at our local hospital which is an MD academic hospital that has had several DO's come through and attendings.

The hospital I was working at for the last year in Chattanooga TN had a few DO doing their residency in surgery at Erlanger.
So if you look you can find places that will accept DO's easily.