This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOrocker0930

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please answer this question for me as I have tried finding out this info online and am not able to find it :/

For both TUCOM-CA and DMU-COM students:
What is the average USMLE Step 1 score??? How are students scoring on the step 1? Are their ample resources?

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1 prep is largely up to you. Averages are not reflective of the school so much as they are reflective of the class they select. My class had everything from Step failures to 260+s and everything in between (not at either of the schools you're asking about). Most of your prep will have very little to do with your school itself.

Reactions: 2 users
You're not going to find such information. No school is readily going to publish what their average scores are, best you will find is their average pass rate....maybe.

Like the comment above, boards are all up to you. No school will have a curriculum that 100% prepares you for boards. It's also why websites like this exists, so that you can find advice for how to properly study for boards lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO schools don't publish Step1 average scores. Level 1 is a different story.

They don't publish level 1 averages either and you will be luck to find pass rates, unless the policy has change. But you will find level 3 pass rates though, which practically has nothing to do with the school LOL.

Reactions: 1 users
Touro has a step score slightly below avg. Pass rate is like 97%. I can absolutely tell you the score is up to you. I see how some of my classmates are studying (or haven't started yet). I know how I'm studying. I'm crushing uworld right now because ive been putting in serious hours since Jan 2. Whether I went to touro KCU or rvu, I'd be doing the same. It's all about you. Students need to realize this and take personal responsibility for their own performance on board exams.

Reactions: 3 users
Can someone please answer this question for me as I have tried finding out this info online and am not able to find it :/

What is the average USMLE Step 1 score??? How are students scoring on the step 1? Are their ample resources?
There's lots of resources and you have to take studying for it seriously. The exam covers more material, many of which is left out DO school (not all) curriculum. I'm sure on average, DO students score less than MD students on step.

There's lots of resources and you have to take studying for it seriously. The exam covers more material, many of which is left out DO school (not all) curriculum. I'm sure on average, DO students score less than MD students on step.

I'm curious which subjects you think this is the case for?

I felt a little underprepared for biochem, and probably pharm, but for the most part I felt like we covered a lot more than necessary.

One DO school in the South / Southeast had a Step 1 average of 220 last year. About a third of the students in the class took USMLE and of those students 95% passed.

I'm curious which subjects you think this is the case for?

I felt a little underprepared for biochem, and probably pharm, but for the most part I felt like we covered a lot more than necessary.
Biochem, pharm. I mean, that's the first few chapters in first aid, more or less. It's......:idea: basic science.

Reactions: 1 user
Biochem, pharm. I mean, that's the first few chapters in first aid, more or less. It's......:idea: basic science.

Wouldn't you say this is school dependent as well?

Wouldn't you say this is school dependent as well?

I would think so. Personally I did feel prepared for pharm, and super well-prepared for micro. I did feel under-prepared for biochem, but I don't know if I blame my curriculum as much as I blame most schools' tendency to do more biochem first year and path second year.

We hit biochemistry pretty hard at my school. It was literally my best subject on the boards.

I would think so. Personally I did feel prepared for pharm, and super well-prepared for micro. I did feel under-prepared for biochem, but I don't know if I blame my curriculum as much as I blame most schools' tendency to do more biochem first year and path second year.
I feel micro was a weakness at my school, but Sketchy easily helped me overcome it.

This is hard of to get for any DO school, even at mine, because students only self report Step I scores.

DO schools will soon have to post Level I pass rates, and I think median scores as well. Can't remember if Level II is in that mix.

This is hard of to get for any DO school, even at mine, because students only self report Step I scores.

DO schools will soon have to post Level I pass rates, and I think median scores as well. Can't remember if Level II is in that mix.
Comlex or USMLE?

^ I'm pretty sure just comlex since that's the required exam to graduate from DO schools. USMLE is technically optional for DO's.