Dosimetry: What To Know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregors

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into becoming a dosimetrist and there isn't exactly a wealth of information on this online other than they decide how to deliver the radiation using computer simulations and medical imaging, and supervise the radiation therapist. What I want to know is what physics is essential to the job, extent of interaction with patients/families, how frequently they're called in for emergencies, dangers of the job like accidental exposure to radiation, and what factors decide determine the radiation dosage/how rigorous it is. Is there anything else I should be asking?

Another thing is the dosimetry certification agency (JRCERT?) wants to end on the job training, and switch to dosimetry coursework. It's not clear to me what effect this will have since only a handful of dosimetry schools exist and many accept 2-5 students per year.

Also, could someone tell me my chances based on my credentials? I have a BS in chemistry with a 3.6 GPA and I will have a thesis based MS in physical chemistry by the time I try dosimetry. I lack healthcare experience though.

I'm double posting here since I may have posted in the wrong forum.

Members don't see this ad.

From my collective knowledge, dosimetrists measure the radiation doses being given the patients whereas radiation therapists are the ones who prep the patient and carry out the procedure. It is my understanding that in order to become a dosimetrist, one must first be a radiatiuon therapist for a period of time.

Radiation oncology isn't exactly an urgent care type of field. I do not think there would be two many true emergencies in this vocation.

My two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.