Double Major more competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LordOfTheDance

I'm Awesome
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if having two degrees (BS Biology BA Communications Minor Chemistry) will make me more competitive than just a BS Biology with minor in Chem? I am not sure if I should pursue it or not.... Advice? Thanks folks. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it won't hurt, but I also would have to question how much it would help. Yes, it would definitely make you stand out, but how important is this to a particular pharmacy school?

In my opinion, use your energy to gain work experience in a pharmacy if you haven't already done so. This would just enable you to be viewed as a well rounded applicant. Also, gaining pharmacy experience will tell you if you really want to become a pharmacist, which is the most important question of all.

Members don't see this ad :)
A double major in communication probably won't help much. It would probably help more just to take upper science courses. It shows them that you can do well in the harder, upper courses and you are more prepared for pharmacy school. I think they would be more impressed that way. Take biochemistry and physiology if you haven't already. Take pharmacology if your school offers it.

Pharmacy schools emphasize communication skills heavily, and a BA in Communications would provide credibility if you were to emphasize excellent communication skills in your personal statement or interview. If you manage to do all of that (2 majors, 1 minor) all in 4 or 5 years, you demonstrated you can manage your time and are likely able to handle the heavy workload of pharmacy school, assuming you maintain a high GPA.

Personally I don't think double major would help anybody. People without a bachelor are getting so bachelor is not really required. MAy be at some schools that like people with bachelor you can have more chances to get as long as yopu show consistency in your grades and the number of credit taken per semester.

Depends on what you get from the communication end and whether you want to spend the extra time. I've seen several comm majors that were no better at public speaking at the end course work.

Remember that getting into a professional school is a blending of several factors; you don't have to be a comm major to be well spoken and comfortable in several different situations.

Anyone know if having two degrees (BS Biology BA Communications Minor Chemistry) will make me more competitive than just a BS Biology with minor in Chem? I am not sure if I should pursue it or not.... Advice? Thanks folks. :confused:

It can't hurt if you manage your time well, but I doubt that its a high priority in the minds of a pharmacy school admissions committee. I think that your GPA (science and overall), PCAT, amount of pharmacy experience, amount of volunteer/service, personality at your interview, and luck are more important factors that have more noticeable effects on your applications than one more major. Given that not all pharmacy schools have degrees, having an extra degree versus just one probably is not going to make a huge difference.

However, if you like the comm major, then go for it! College is about finding yourself and developing skills after all. Leave the job training to the pharmacy schools!:D

You can benefit from a double major if it is in something you are actually interested in. For example, I am a double major in Bio and Spanish with a minor in biomedical sciences. I look forward to using my Spanish so for me, its worth it.

I will be able to complete it in 5 years, and have worked in a pharmacy for the past four so work experience is not an issue. I just need to fill the gap while waiting to apply for pharm school next year... I figure that continuing my education during this time will be better than taking a year off school. I have enough science for my bio degree already, so comm seems like it would help considering the aspect that a good pharmacist should be excellent at counseling patients and dealing with people in general. :thumbup:

I have to tell you that reading the list of threads, the way yours appears with the Double Major question placed directly over your login name..... for a brief few moments, I thought you were talking about being a double Dance major......

Yeah. Reading sideways. Mondays suck.

So if I read this right. you've already completed the 4 years and are just doing the extra so you don't waste time. Since you've already got the experience, why not?

If that's the case then I'd say you could do that or continue to work and save your money. My guess would be 1 double major does not give twice the advantage of a single major. I suppose it would be more advantageous, just not 2x as advantageous.

So in this case, whatever you decide is fine, neither will hurt. But I'm thinking that you're reaching the crest of the log growth phase, heading into the stationary phase. (At least if credentials can be compared to bacterial reproduction.)

If I work full time then I must start paying off insurance and student loans which is about the same cost as 1 year of tuition. Ahhh I don't wanna be an undergrad anymore! But what can you do. :( :( Looks like I will spend the rest of my days studying for the PCAT.. need that 90+ you know