Double major with a minor. Worth it? An introverted pre-med student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smileyfrowned

Serene
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I a freshman of college right now majoring in biochemistry, B.S. I've recently been thinking about adding on another major, psychology. I want to get a B.G.S. in psychology and a BGS requires a minor so I thought i would minor in communication. Given the course load, I probably would need to take some classes in the summer so I won't go crazy. I mapped out my four year schedule and it appearred that I would take ~30 hours each academic year and ~10 every summer.

Getting another degree and a minor means double the tuition. So... do you guys think this is worth it? Will double majoring increase my chances of getting into a med school (and let's assume my GPA did not suffer)? I'm truly am interested in biochemistry and intrigued by psychology. However, if I wasn't thinking about medical school, I probably would only take a few classes in psychology as elective instead of going to the extent of earning a degree in it.

One more thing, will a minor in communication help overcome my fear in public speaking? I haven't actually taken any classes for it yet so I don't know if I should. I've always am afraid of giving speeches and presentation. I took public speaking class in high school and man, was it horrible. I got an A, but now, I still get pretty nervous when I have to stand in front of a big group of people and say things. Whenever there's a presentation, even a really short one, I have to rehearse it like a million time. I'm just so envious of people who can just come up with a speech few minutes before the class. I'm horrible at improvising and explaining things. I've been an introvert all my life and I figured that's going to kill me during interviews and introvert will probably suffer in the medical field. Anyway, I wanted to change that part about me so I thought getting a minor in communication might improve my communication skill. Will it? I'm afraid that not only will it not helped, my grades is going to suffer because of my poor performance in class. Any ex-introvert success examples here? Will introvert succeed in becoming a doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

Med schools don't care about your major, only that you do well in it. Piling on a crazy course load to double major will not only not help you get in, it could easily hurt your chances. Why? Because it'd be harder for you to perform at a high level with such a high course burden. You'll also have less time to do other things med schools like to see like shadowing and volunteering.

Re: introversion. Taking a load of communications classes is unlikely to help you as much as simply participating in activities that help bring you out of your shell.

Reactions: 3 users
Double-majoring with a minor is complete overkill, IMO. Take up a solid major (in your case biochem). If you must, pick up a minor that interests you (in your case, psych). Join other social activities that interests you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Find ways to exit your comfort zone often in ways that you'll find exciting and fun, and not because it'll boost your odds. Same goes for double majors/degrees. I've seen many instances where someone who did a specific major or activity because it would "improve their odds" ended up not enjoying their experience. Adcoms often want to see our enthusiasm and genuine enjoyment in what we do. For example, I cook food when I get bored and it's fun for me!

Nobody will be impressed by your majors (or minors).
There are about as many introverts as extroverts in medicine. Introversion is not an impediment to success. An inability to express oneself or behaviors that make others uncomfortable are barriers to success in medicine.

My learned colleague beat me to it!

Med schools don't care about your major, only that you do well in it. Piling on a crazy course load to double major will not only not help you get in, it could easily hurt your chances. Why? Because it'd be harder for you to perform at a high level with such a high course burden. You'll also have less time to do other things med schools like to see like shadowing and volunteering.

Re: introversion. Taking a load of communications classes is unlikely to help you as much as simply participating in activities that help bring you out of your shell.

I'm a double major with a minor.

Do it because you want to.

Is it worth for admissions? No. I'm a junior and I havent taken less than 17 hours a semester for the entirety of college. It's....exhausting...

Was it worth it for me? Yah, I love both of my majors and I feel I have a pretty well-rounded education. If I could do it differently I would do it in 5 and not 4. (Obviously, not a good financial decision either if you did it that way).

Best of luck!

I think a communications class to work on public speaking is a good idea. There's ECs that would help with speaking in front of people, too and they'd probably be more enjoyable. Tutoring elementry kids, for one, but there are probably better ideas. No one will care about a double major, nor will they care about having or not having a minor. 10 credits in the summer sounds like hell lol. Work, if you have to, volunteer, shadow, and have fun in the summer.
good luck!