Double Major

FM7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to do a double major and still graduate in four years (eight semesters) without taking any courses over the summer? What if you are really interested in two subjects but do not have the financial means to extend the length of your undergraduate education?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible to do a double major and still graduate in four years (eight semesters) without taking any courses over the summer?

If you take more credits, yes you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it's possible. It probably won't be very fun though. It also depends on how many credit hours you have when you start college and how many overlapping hours the two degrees have. Also, I must point out that you shouldn't double major to look better for any application. Do it because you are genuinely interested in both. Another options could be a major in one and a minor in the other. What are you thinking about double majoring in?

Edit: I also merged the two threads... I guess you accidentally hit "post" twice.

Is it possible to do a double major and still graduate in four years (eight semesters) without taking any courses over the summer? What if you are really interested in two subjects but do not have the financial means to extend the length of your undergraduate education?

Yes it's very possible, and you probably won't have to take any extra classes either. Some major classes could overlap (especially prereqs like calc). You won't have any time for other fun classes which are unrelated, so I would discourage you from doing this.

Double majors are pointless. Get a minor if you want to, but don't worry about double majoring if you are going to med school.

Yes, it's possible. It probably won't be very fun though. It also depends on how many credit hours you have when you start college and how many overlapping hours the two degrees have. Also, I must point out that you shouldn't double major to look better for any application. Do it because you are genuinely interested in both. Another options could be a major in one and a minor in the other. What are you thinking about double majoring in?

Edit: I also merged the two threads... I guess you accidentally hit "post" twice.

Yeah thank you for merging them. I was thinking some kind of biology and also philosophy, but it's because I am interested in them, not to look good on a transcript. But yeah minoring in one is definitely an option. What exactly do you do when you minor in something? Do you just take less classes (compared to your major)?

Yeah thank you for merging them. I was thinking some kind of biology and also philosophy, but it's because I am interested in them, not to look good on a transcript. But yeah minoring in one is definitely an option. What exactly do you do when you minor in something? Do you just take less classes (compared to your major)?

Yeah, that's the idea. Most schools will only let you have 1 minor (and 2 majors, if you want).

wow that sounds awesome. It would be really neat to minor in philosophy, latin american studies, or history. Who knows maybe all three? It depends on what my school lets me do I suppose. Do you find it difficult to schedule all your classes and meet all the requirements? I guess your math major and chem and bio minors overlap sometimes?

wow that sounds awesome. It would be really neat to minor in philosophy, latin american studies, or history. Who knows maybe all three? It depends on what my school lets me do I suppose. Do you find it difficult to schedule all your classes and meet all the requirements? I guess your math major and chem and bio minors overlap sometimes?

Actually they don't really overlap much at all. Each of the minors is only classes in that department. I mean the entry level classes cover my science requirements for math, but other than that it's a lot of different classes. I do take more classes than the general student but I like it. I couldn't pick one major over the others, so I just added all the minors so that I could do all of them.

Interesting - 3 minors?! This has been talked about SDN quite a bit, and the consensus was that most schools (obviously not yours :) ) only allow for 1 minor. The reasoning here is that you concentrate on your major (1 subject), not a bunch of minors that may or may not be related in subject matter. Just anecdotal.

Interesting - 3 minors?! This has been talked about SDN quite a bit, and the consensus was that most schools (obviously not yours :) ) only allow for 1 minor. The reasoning here is that you concentrate on your major (1 subject), not a bunch of minors that may or may not be related in subject matter. Just anecdotal.

Hmm... my school lets you do as many as you want. My 3 minors together actually make up another degree in General Studies. It makes sense though. Sometimes taking all these different classes at once makes me feel crazy. It's hard to concentrate on all of them at once.

Depends on:

- the school, some schools, especially state schools have significantly cut the number of classes and it is nearly impossible to get into certain classes right away from the first attempt.

- the major, some majors require much more units than others - psychology vs. biochemistry for example

- your ability to handle large course loads.

I am graduating with 2 majors and it has taken me 5.5 years.

Her minors are a major in general studies.

-Yes.

-Then you only do one major, and graduate on time.

It really makes no sense why you would double major unless you wanted to. I agree with DLi, it is pointless.

Just do one major.