Double vision in microscope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elysion080

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I am having my phd degree on Oral Pathology right now.Unfortunately I can see only double vision on microscope.I am trying hard but can't align two images.I saw an ophthalmologist and he said I have astigmatism but it is just 0.25 D. Is it possible that astigmatism can cause double vision in microscope ? or another defect might be reason for that problem ? I would be really happy if anyone give me some information about it. Thanks in advance..

Members don't see this ad.

I know a couple of people who developed that kind of problem (who had some experience and knew how to set up a scope), unfortunately I don't have a good answer -- one retired and the other started doing CP only, both after discussions with other pathologists, opthalmologists, and in one case a neurologist. I would still always initially suggest trying different scopes and working with someone to properly set it up for you; I have to make adjustments to mine on occasion even though I'm the only one who uses it, though I don't know which to blame more -- the scope or my eyes.

Thank you for your answer, KCShaw.I am just planning to see another ophthalmologist or a neurologist.That problem is getting troublesome for me because although I have practiced with microscope for one week, I still see double.And I am afraid of that I will have to change my career plan.That is why I need a an urgent and certain aswer about that subject.Anyway, thank you very much again ...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a pretty bad astigmatism and I don't have double vision when looking through the scope.

I'm an ophthalmologist and no 0.25D of astigmatism won't cause double vision. If you never have double vision when you're not using a scope it's seems most likely that it should be able to be fixed with the scope settings.

what if you have double vision but when you close either eye it resolves lol

I also dont think astigmatism can cause double vision.But I am just trying to find an explanation to this weird problem of mine.Also I tried to fix scope settings but nothing has changed.I can use one eye to look through microscope but I heart it is harmful for my eyes.Is there any technique I can use except for that ? I also wonder if there is anyone who has same problem like me..

Did you notice this problem with one microscope? Have you tried using different microscopes? Sometimes microscopes can be defective/damaged, and no matter how much adjusting you do, you will always see double. There is only so much distance that your eyes/brain tolerate to unify an image, so to speak. I suspect a bad microscope may be the problem, particularly if you are using a bad quality microscope, or an old "student microscope", or a microscpoe in a research lab that only gets used for a few hours every other year. I would suggest that you to go to the pathology department in your hospital, ask for help, and try one of their scopes. Good luck.

Maybe try a microscope vendor? They might understand the optics issue.

astigmatism can cause double vision, but not at that level. My astigmatism is -3.5 and -3.25, and i do get some double vision when looking at things far away but had no trouble looking through the scope. Make sure you get the microscope adjusted properly. good luck

I have pretty significant astigmatism and not only do I not have double vision with a microscope, I can use a microscope without contacts and use the scope to correct my vision (not that that is ideal, as I am constantly flipping on and off my glasses to go between the scope and my computer or paperwork). There is almost certainly something else going on here.

Firstly thank all of you very much for your suggestions and helps.I am practising on mic for two weeks and I discovered that if I go cross eyed I can see just one image.But I just wonder if it is harmfull for my eyes to use cross eyed technique?

Eh, well.. using a microscope shouldn't be like staring down a stereogram. The fact you can get it to "work" at all suggests to me the scope still isn't adjusted correctly to you. May be something as simple as moving the eyepieces or adjusting how close you get to them. As far as doing damage to your eyes, I dunno -- I suspect at best it would get uncomfortable and at worst you forget how to see normally and become functionally blind or need to have some microscopes fitted to eyeglasses (didn't your mother tell you if you insert-weird-facial-expression-here then your face might get stuck?). Which might get you an interesting, if unfortunate, case report. But I would pay to see it. Really though, it sounds like a significant eyestrain.