Downward trends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted678432

How steep of a downward trend is bad? If I have a higher gpa my freshman year and it drops like .1 or .2 (but is still at around a 3.6-3.7) after I take ochem, a&p, etc., will it be okay?

Members don't see this ad.

It is common for GPAs to drop a little when taking upper division classes. Obviously, the better you do in these courses the better, but it won't be that detrimental as you would only be going from a 3.8 to a 3.6-3.7 which is still at or above the GPA avg of most schools.

One thing you will need to figure out is why you dropped as you will be loaded down with nothing but upper division courses once in dschool. If you are having troubles keeping up with the material, then you will need to figure out how to stay on top of it because you will be given so much more info in dschool.

Don't stress..... a little drop shouldn't keep you from getting in to dschool.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure why people make a big deal about downward trends.
My first semester of college I got a 3.8 but by the time i graduated it slowly dropped to a 3.7~. Technically a downward trend but schools didn't mention it during interviews or anything.
As long as your GPA is in an acceptable range by the time you apply it will be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
My GPA is dropping every year. I am an engineering major and at my school they are constantly weeding people out even in upper level classes. Basically the weaker students keep dropping out and new curve is not getting better.

Reactions: 1 user
I think most schools would consider a distinct drop in gpa (from beginning of period to end) a downward trend. Something small like .1-.2 shouldn't be an issue as long as it is within an acceptable range-unless we're talking about Harvard. At that point you might as well have gotten straight F's for all they care.

Holistic review my friend. I would think that if you started off strong and got more Bs than As once you hit the upper level classes you should be okay. However...if you got more Cs than Bs overall, it may be alarming.

As long as your GPA is in an acceptable range by the time you apply it will be fine.

This is really reassuring. Thanks man!

Reactions: 1 users