Downward trend, high GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mascue

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a weird case where I had a 4.0 during freshman year, and my gpa has been on a downward trend ever since. Currently I have a 3.9 but I honestly feel like I am at a low point in my life and couldn’t get myself to care about grades. Is a downward trend bad? I am on track to get at least a 3.75~3.8 before I apply.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah but as long as your estimate comes true it shouldn't be a problem really

Reactions: 1 user
I got into dental school with a 3.15 GPA, I would not be worried about your 3.8 LOL. Gotta relax big time

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I am a weird case where I had a 4.0 during freshman year, and my gpa has been on a downward trend ever since. Currently I have a 3.9 but I honestly feel like I am at a low point in my life and couldn’t get myself to care about grades. Is a downward trend bad? I am on track to get at least a 3.75~3.8 before I apply.
i literally dont think a 3.8 is going to be an issue and if they do ask which i seriously doubt they will just mention what was going on - did you take on a lot more responsibilities and had to adjust your time management skills since you were busier, you had personal issues going on, the pandemic etc etc. And then you can finish it off by saying how you managed to pull through whatever circumastance caused a drop and learned x, y,z through the process. Again I highly doubt you will be asked this as 3.8 GPA is excellent - try not to worry too much, you'll be fine :)

I think you'll be just fine, especially if you do well on the DAT, it would be a different story if you dropped from a 4.0 to like a 2.9 or something extreme like that. I gather that you started taking your science pre-reqs and weren't able to maintain that perfect 4.0, which is completely fine as most people don't even get that for one semester, let alone all four years. As long as you did well in most of your pre-reqs, there's no real reason for the adcoms to even question why you went from a 4.0 to a 3.8 lol

I think you'll be just fine, especially if you do well on the DAT, it would be a different story if you dropped from a 4.0 to like a 2.9 or something extreme like that. I gather that you started taking your science pre-reqs and weren't able to maintain that perfect 4.0, which is completely fine as most people don't even get that for one semester, let alone all four years. As long as you did well in most of your pre-reqs, there's no real reason for the adcoms to even question why you went from a 4.0 to a 3.8 lol

The only non-A I have is orgo (A-), and I've taken like 10 prereqs classes so far (genbio 1/2, genbio 1 lab, genchem & lab 1/2, calc 1, stats, orgo 1) . But I really dislike orgo so I don't think I'll do well in orgo 2 either lol. But yeah I just want to chill out a little bit and even if there is a downward trend, just work enough to a point where I'll end up with a 3.8

The only non-A I have is orgo (A-), and I've taken like 10 prereqs classes so far (genbio 1/2, genbio 1 lab, genchem & lab 1/2, calc 1, stats, orgo 1) . But I really dislike orgo so I don't think I'll do well in orgo 2 either lol. But yeah I just want to chill out a little bit and even if there is a downward trend, just work enough to a point where I'll end up with a 3.8
Dude...

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
You’re gonna be fine lol, ppl have gotten in with GPAs a full point below yours

As long as your 'low points' do not dip below a 3.8 like you estimated you will be in a great position :)

keeping high grades in your undergrad degree can literally save you years from your life and tens of thousands of dollars (sometimes 100k+) from having to do a masters degree, post-bac etc to fix your GPA. Keep up the good work! I would also suggest making a study motivation playlist of videos or clips that inspire you in the sucky times because there will be a lot of them.

Thanks everyone! Just been feeling down these days and it just didn't help that I have to start thinking about taking the DAT soon..

I got into dental school with a 3.15 GPA, I would not be worried about your 3.8 LOL. Gotta relax big time
I'm just worried about the rising GPAs, because just looking at the trends for dental and medical school it's on an upward trend -- I think the avg accepted gpa was like 3.5 at one point and it's now like 3.65. I just want to be slightly above average this "average accepted gpa" by the time I apply.

Of course, medicine avg accepted gpa these days is like 3.8 lmfao

I'm just worried about the rising GPAs, because just looking at the trends for dental and medical school it's on an upward trend -- I think the avg accepted gpa was like 3.5 at one point and it's now like 3.65. I just want to be slightly above average this "average accepted gpa" by the time I apply.

Of course, medicine avg accepted gpa these days is like 3.8 lmfao
I understand what you're saying, but it's not like I got in 15 years ago. I got my acceptance a little over 3 years ago. Even though GPA trends are on the rise, if I could get in with a 3.15 three years ago, I'm sure someone could get in with a 3.3 today. You really need to chill out and relax, the more you stress about it the worse you'll do. Just do your best and study a bunch and the grades will come and you'll get in somewhere. Good luck!

i dont think thats a downward trend. a downward trend would be if you went from 4.0-3.0 and upward would be vice versa. A couple points lower or higher in a gpa isnt significant and shouldnt raise any concerns, imo.

I understand what you're saying, but it's not like I got in 15 years ago. I got my acceptance a little over 3 years ago. Even though GPA trends are on the rise, if I could get in with a 3.15 three years ago, I'm sure someone could get in with a 3.3 today. You really need to chill out and relax, the more you stress about it the worse you'll do. Just do your best and study a bunch and the grades will come and you'll get in somewhere. Good luck!
Can confirm your theory is right, as I have a 3.3 and got in this cycle lol. OP will be just fine as long as they don’t let their grades slip