DPM/Ph.D. programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc227

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know Temple has one of these programs. Does any other schools offer this degree? Also, I would take it that the credentials to get into the program would be higher, but does anyone have additional insight into the subject. Is anyone in a program like this?

Members don't see this ad.

there was another school that did.

What is the point of having both degrees? It seems to me that most of the research comes from Orthopods... it would just be a waste of valuable resources no? Podiatry seems to be a very clinicaly oriented field... or am I wrong about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
i thnk the phd is in prostethics or biomechanics or something along those lines

its offered in conjunction with upenn and loyola i think

im guessin thats a doctorate that can open alot of doors for you in those fields

i mean how many ppl get degrees that specialized?

but in truth i dont know the job outlook for someone with the dual doctorate after they finish school

but as a first yr student..i can say that most kids in pod school(that is...kids not on the dual degree course) dont take advantage of research opportunities
which is a big part of why podiatry is so clincially orientated
and why orthopods do all the cool research

but like someone said before..the field is wide open....
you just gotta be a little hungrier than the other guy

-j

Biomechs was a pod thing once now we lost that too

Scholl at Rosalind Franklin UMS now has a DPM/PhD degree offerred in Micro/Immuno and Anatomy. I definitely think the field needs more basic scientists to contribute to medicine. You'll encounter few students who are interested in research, most want out and to be able to practice. For those who like research, there are many things to do like academic medicine, etc. Anyways, just my $0.02.