DPM PhD revisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPM worth it if interested in both

• Yes

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 23 82.1%

• Total voters

Shino’s Beetles

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else considering doing a DPM PhD. I couldn't choose between podiatry and PhD so I'm planning on choosing both but it seems like a lonely road. Interested in anyone's thoughts on it.
Some questions like is it worth the length and difficulty?
After doing the PhD portion I would be out of research for 5 years (year 3&4 and 3 years of residency) would the research have advanced too much in that time?
How do residencies view it?
Industry vs academia
Why do I feel like the only one in the US genuinely interested in both hahahaha?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else considering doing a DPM PhD. I couldn't choose between podiatry and PhD so I'm planning on choosing both but it seems like a lonely road. Interested in anyone's thoughts on it.
After doing the PhD portion I would be out of research for 5 years (year 3&4 and 3 years of residency) would the research have advanced too much in that time?
Industry vs academia
Why do I feel like the only one in the US genuinely interested in both hahahaha?
Some of the schools I interviewed were saying that you really need to love research to do it. It really extends the length of schooling, but it doesn't increase your salary at the end. So if you really are interested in research and want that to be part of your job in the future, go ahead and do the PhD as well. If you are just interested in research during podiatry school, I would look into schools that have good research programs (such as Scholl) instead of doing the PhD.

Reactions: 1 user
A PhD probably isn't going to pay off monetarily. That said, if you have to get one - do not get it at a podiatry school. Get amazing residency training (residency is where you will actually see pathology and learn how to address it [or not if you aren't at a great program]) and then create the opportunity for yourself somewhere.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Industry vs academia

I'm a current Scholl student who briefly debated doing the combined program, but ultimately decided against it for a few reasons. The biggest, as others have mentioned, is money. A DPM, PhD won't land you a higher paying job automatically, and assuming you're taking out some loans, the extra 3-4 years of interest adds a significant burden on what is likely already six figure debt. Unlike most MSTP programs available to MD/PhD you still have to pay the tuition on the DPM in full (or a little less if you have a scholarship) and the stipend received on the PhD portion is enough to live on, but not enough to pay down existing debt.

Additionally, funding is getting more competitive in every research field across the board and most podiatric related research is on the clinical/translational side of the spectrum. If that's the type of research you're interested in there are research fellowships or masters programs you can complete during or after residency that require less time and future income loss than the PhD.

Last, and this is only anecdotal, every person I've met or heard of that has graduated with a combined DPM/PhD in the past decade is not doing a significant amount of research in their current positions. I'm not sure why exactly, but I'd guess it's a combination of lack of grant funding, needing to pay down student debt, and difficulty finding an academic position that would allow for a more even split between clinical and research work.

Industry vs academia

No, you are not the only one interested in both.

Unless you see yourself writing grants, running labs, constantly finding the next best project to start, constantly keeping up with protocols, and more grant writing more so than being a doctor- this is no point in getting a PhD.

Just because it sounds cool, does not mean it provides you an advantage. If your interests were truly in research only, you would not have taken a pre-medical route then switched to podiatry.

I am a practicing hospital employed podiatrist.

Nobody cares if you are a DPM/PhD. Ortho doesn't care, vascular surgery doesn't care, medicine doesn't care, general surgery doesn't care...

If you want to do research professionally and NEVER make a legitimate living then I would go ahead and become a DPM/PhD

Podiatry has a long way from being accepted in the medical community. I live it everyday. Wasting your time getting a PhD from a podiatry school is worthless IMHO

I am a practicing hospital employed podiatrist.

Nobody cares if you are a DPM/PhD. Ortho doesn't care, vascular surgery doesn't care, medicine doesn't care, general surgery doesn't care...

If you want to do research professionally and NEVER make a legitimate living then I would go ahead and become a DPM/PhD

Podiatry has a long way from being accepted in the medical community. I live it everyday. Wasting your time getting a PhD from a podiatry school is worthless IMHO

I’m not interested in it for the title, I thought it would be a great way to push the field further. I’m equally interested in the clinical aspects as well as the research. I know the money is not there but I can focus anywhere from 0-100% on research. I still have a lot to learn so I’m genuinely interested in opinions of others that have more experience/knowledge than me.

I’m not interested in it for the title, I thought it would be a great way to push the field further. I’m equally interested in the clinical aspects as well as the research. I know the money is not there but I can focus anywhere from 0-100% on research. I still have a lot to learn so I’m genuinely interested in opinions of others that have more experience/knowledge than me.

Don’t do it. There are no opportunities out there for podiatry to be legitimate researchers. Unless you want to get a job with a podiatry school.

Don’t do it. There are no opportunities out there for podiatry to be legitimate researchers. Unless you want to get a job with a podiatry school.
What about podiatrist who works for Keck SOM. I think he has PhD and does research.

What about podiatrist who works for Keck SOM. I think he has PhD and does research.

David Armstrong owns research in podiatry. It’s him and Lee Rogers. Both are heavily into diabetic related research. He has also published hundreds of research articles.

He started at Scholl creating the CLEAR research department. Then moved to university of Arizona. Then Keck

He has done plenty of work to finally make it to the Keck SOM.

Are you going to do that much research? Because if you are then a PhD is worth it.

Good luck to you

Last edited:
There are two! But, is a PhD really needed to do research? There are many podiatrists who liberally publish without PhDs (i.e. the Cooks at Mount Auburn). If OP really wanted too, there are research fellowships he could pursue after residency.

There are two! But, is a PhD really needed to do research? There are many podiatrists who liberally publish without PhDs (i.e. the Cooks at Mount Auburn). If OP really wanted too, there are research fellowships he could pursue after residency.

Still a complete waste of time

I meant Dr. Armstrong. I wonder why he got MD degree from UK and if it helps any.

I recommend you reach out to Dr Steinberg at Gerogetown and Dr Armstrong and pick their brains on if they think a DPM/PhD is worth pursuing. They're the among the few doing meaningful research and are very approachable.

I did very productive research in undergrad far away from where I am in podiatry school now and I have more research opportunities and offers than I could possibly think of taking on. All I did was send a resume/CV to research directors at local hospitals, research faculty at the school, and any MD/DO/DPM/PhD that was doing current research that I knew I could be useful in. Once you have a publication or prove that you can start and see a project through to the finish it’s pretty easy to find someone to bite on you (just make sure they have a history of being productive) and then it is up to you to start churning it out for them if that’s what you want. I plan to do plenty of clinical and non-clinical research, but I will not be getting a PhD to do it.

Last edited:
I did very productive research in undergrad far away from where I am in podiatry school now and I have more research opportunities and offers than I could possibly think of taking on. All I did was send a resume/CV to research directors at local hospitals, research faculty at the school, and any MD/DO/DPM/PhD that was doing current research that I knew I could be useful in. Once you have a publication or prove that you can start and see a project through to the finish it’s pretty easy to find someone to bite on you (just make sure they have a history of being productive) and then it is up to you to start churning it out for them if that’s what you want. I plan to do plenty of clinical and non-clinical research, but I will not be getting a PhD to do it.

Can I ask what podiatry school you go to?

Industry vs academia

Hello, Shino's Beetles.

I'm glad your post has gotten some pretty strong feedback, and I hope that you were able to formulate your own running answer to your questions. If you are still considering, I would like to add a few comments from my own perspective:

1. "Anyone else considering doing a DPM PhD. I couldn't choose between podiatry and PhD so I'm planning on choosing both but it seems like a lonely road. Interested in anyone's thoughts on it."
It seems like the question behind this statement is "Why choose the dual-degree?". The answer to this question can be difficult because like most things in medicine, "it depends." As a current DPM-PhD student, I was faced with similar questions like this (and the others you have posted) and from my experience (there's another student from my cohort in the dual-degree program as well), what I can say is that I have found that the answer someone formulates on why someone might decide to pursue the dual-degree is something that the person will "hold onto" at the beginning of the process, but the purpose becomes dynamic and it may mature throughout the training process. For that reason, I hesitate to give you my own answers at this point in time, but it is a question you may have to think about deeply before pursuit.

2. "Is it worth the length and difficulty?"

As a disclaimer, still, it "depends." Generally speaking, the PhD component is 3 years long, but you'll quickly find out that it's not the same for all and that it depends on the PhD project as well as the committee members that will be responsible for your scientific growth throughout the program. The worth of length and difficulty for this program may be linked to how you view your future (and more closely associated with your answer to Question 1).

Often, many wonder, "What does a PhD degree do to advance one's career?" This question may stem from reasons ranging from financial interest to professional development. To assist you in deciding whether or not it is worth it, you may consider reformatting the question to "What can I gain from the skills acquired from the PhD training?" The latter allows you to think freely about your training, rather than a pursuit of just another degree.

Some argue that the PhD is not about the content of research, rather the methods. Methods include, but are not limited to:
1. Formulating a hypothesis
2. Constructing and conducting hypothesis-driven protocols and research
3. Writing manuscripts for publication in scientific, peer-reviewed journals
4. Applying for grants
5. Technical research skills (i.e. pipetting, cell culture, model organism manipulation, etc...)
Many of these skills are multi-faceted and can translated into both basic science and clinically-oriented research. Some technical research skills may prove to be helpful if you indeed decide to pursue the mechanism of a physiologic/pathologic phenomenon, rather than answer "Does this drug work? Yes or No."

3. "After doing the PhD portion I would be out of research for 5 years (year 3&4 and 3 years of residency) would the research have advanced too much in that time?"

Not necessarily. Science typically doesn't move forward so quickly. If you felt strongly about a research topic and wanted to continue pursuit in that field, there are many ways to get caught up (ex. review articles, mentorship, conferences, etc...). As with most answers on my post so far, and probably in the future, "it depends" on what you want to do research in or if you want to do research at all (PhD graduates are not, nor should they be, mandated to conduct research).

In my opinion (gathered and formulated from multiple other opinions), the physician-scientist or surgeon-scientist plays a critical, but often lacking, role in translational research and medicine. Having degrees from both fields (PhD and DPM) only acts as a testament of commitment to medical research, but being able to translate bedside issues to benchtop research, and back to bedside treatment can be daunting, and frankly, difficult.

Knowing this, PhD training, alone, may not be sufficient. Even traditional PhD graduates that continue pursuing research usually complete >1 postdoctoral fellowship training, adding multiple years of training, before starting their own lab. Once this fact is accepted, it might give you better insight as to what it really takes (time and effort) to become a podiatric physician-scientist.

4. "How do residencies view it?"
I will have to defer to others that are more experienced in this for their perspectives.

5. "Industry vs academia?"
The training of a PhD will open opportunities for you, but it is up to you as to what you want to do with that, including decisions about industry vs academia vs clinic vs surgery vs combination. It is true that you do not need a PhD to be involved with either industry or academia or various combinations mentioned.

6. "Why do I feel like the only one in the US genuinely interested in both hahahaha?"
Truthfully, I don't know. However, there are many influential leaders in medicine (podiatric and all) that are identifying a decline in physician-scientist activity. Many believe this is due to financial burden, time, grant competition against full-time research faculty, and pressures by various healthcare systems to produce more clinical activity than research.
NIH has set out to provide assistance to physician-scientists regarding these matters. This includes tuition waiver for Medical Scientist in Training Programs (MSTP). To address an earlier comment, Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine provides a tuition waiver and stipend to the dual-degree students from the start of the PhD program to the end of the DPM program. Since the PhD component does not begin until after 2nd year of podiatry school (must pass boards part 1 first, understandably), the 1st 2 years of tuition at Scholl are not waived, but all subsequent years are indeed waived. To add, the stipend is currently set at $31,000/year. This is not a random number, but one which was determined by comparing between surrounding PhD graduate programs.
In regards to time, I'd argue that 3 years to earn a PhD degree is not a bad deal. The level of intensity is higher because candidates need to find an awkward balance between research, academic activities, maintaining clinical skills, and social lives.
As for grant competition and pressures, there are certain training grants that provide/mandate protected research time, assisting (but not eliminating) the pressures from the healthcare systems. These training grants are like "post-doctoral fellowship" training opportunities.

In sum, I am not arguing to convince nor deter your pursuit in the DPM-PhD program. I aim to provide you with some insight that I hope you find helpful in making a clear and confident decision. Depending on your current situation, these decisions may require conversations with family and/or significant others because the "worth of its time and effort" may be questioned throughout the process, and it can be helpful to have a strong support system.

I hope these comments help. Please feel free to reach out personally if you are still interested in the dual-degree program or if you have any general questions that you think I can answer! Good luck on your journey!

Reactions: 3 users