DPT 2020-2021 application cycle and COVID-19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ljgissler

Reaction score
To anyone reading this,

It saddens me that my first post here is in the midst of so much change. I hope everyone is staying safe, healthy, and doing as well as possible during these unprecedented times.

As someone who has worked tirelessly the past few years for the best chance of success for applying to DPT schools this summer, this change is terrifying. With eagerly anticipated internships hanging on by a thread, the chances of meeting critical criteria for applying to several DPT programs looks slimmer.

However, as someone who refuses to lose her drive and passion for a career that aids countless lives, I am continuing my hunt for any opportunities as a Pre-PT major. When I look through my feed I see countless posts offering advice for those in similar situations and that is something I look forward to everyday. That being said, anyone willing to offer advice, updates, or encouragement for pre-health hopefuls like me, please message or comment as I’m sure many more can hear it as well!

Thank you for being such a supportive and helpful community, it is highly appreciated by students and soon-to-be graduates everywhere. Please continue to take care of yourselves and each other!

Sincerely,
Another opportunity seeker

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I feel for you. One of my observation settings was at a nursing home, but now I can’t complete my hours and I was going to ask the PT for a letter of rec. I was about to start another internship at a hospital and had all my vaccinations completed, but I'll have to hold out on that too. Hopefully all will be okay by the summer so that I can turn in my hours and LORs in time for the schools with rolling admission. We'll get through this, several of the DPT admissions counselors I've spoken to said they will take our situation into account when reviewing applications. In the meantime, we can polish those personal statements since the new prompt is out!

I feel for you. One of my observation settings was at a nursing home, but now I can’t complete my hours and I was going to ask the PT for a letter of rec. I was about to start another internship at a hospital and had all my vaccinations completed, but I'll have to hold out on that too. Hopefully all will be okay by the summer so that I can turn in my hours and LORs in time for the schools with rolling admission. We'll get through this, several of the DPT admissions counselors I've spoken to said they will take our situation into account when reviewing applications. In the meantime, we can polish those personal statements since the new prompt is out!
What is the new prompt?

Members don't see this ad :)
The PTCAS website updated their website PTCAS Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates
Hopefully DPT programs take note. I know Mary Hardin Baylor already adjusted their admissions requirements.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the new prompt?
"Every person has a story that has led them to a career. Since there are a variety of health professions that "help" others, please go beyond your initial interaction or experiences with physical therapy, and share the deeper story that has confirmed your decision to specifically pursue physical therapy as your career."

"Every person has a story that has led them to a career. Since there are a variety of health professions that "help" others, please go beyond your initial interaction or experiences with physical therapy, and share the deeper story that has confirmed your decision to specifically pursue physical therapy as your career."
dumb question but is this on the ptcas portal?

This is such an unprecedented time. I will be starting my DPT studies in May and my program has already made exceptions that they normally are strict with. I’m sure in the following months programs will begin to change admission requirements due to the pandemic. Keep working hard for what you have control over and don’t lose hope!!!

This is such an unprecedented time. I will be starting my DPT studies in May and my program has already made exceptions that they normally are strict with. I’m sure in the following months programs will begin to change admission requirements due to the pandemic. Keep working hard for what you have control over and don’t lose hope!!!
Thank you! If I may ask, what school are you going to? Congrats btw : ))

dumb question but is this on the ptcas portal?
It's not. I found out that Health Profession Advisors at each school get early access to personal statement prompts and let their students know. I found out during a zoom meeting with my advisor

To anyone reading this,

It saddens me that my first post here is in the midst of so much change. I hope everyone is staying safe, healthy, and doing as well as possible during these unprecedented times.

As someone who has worked tirelessly the past few years for the best chance of success for applying to DPT schools this summer, this change is terrifying. With eagerly anticipated internships hanging on by a thread, the chances of meeting critical criteria for applying to several DPT programs looks slimmer.

However, as someone who refuses to lose her drive and passion for a career that aids countless lives, I am continuing my hunt for any opportunities as a Pre-PT major. When I look through my feed I see countless posts offering advice for those in similar situations and that is something I look forward to everyday. That being said, anyone willing to offer advice, updates, or encouragement for pre-health hopefuls like me, please message or comment as I’m sure many more can hear it as well!

Thank you for being such a supportive and helpful community, it is highly appreciated by students and soon-to-be graduates everywhere. Please continue to take care of yourselves and each other!

Sincerely,
Another opportunity seeker

So much is up in the air right now, and everyone is trying to function during this time.... and hopefully that includes working well to help those incoming students.

I know the program I got into has been VERY good at keeping us updated, keeping the current students updated, and doing weekly facebook live sessions with the director of the program to keep us all in the loop. (I would hope all programs are doing something like this, but I have a huge bias for mine because they so damn cool). During the process of the live videos, I have seen people who are planning on applying this next cycle chime in (watching the videos) to get more information about how to proceed for this coming year. A lot of the suggestion has been to contact the academic advisor in charge of the program. I think everyone understands just how difficult everything is right now, and are willing to be lenient and as helpful as possible to to those applying, because y'all in a very tough position right now. Find the programs you are interested in, and contact them to see if things have changed for this upcoming application cycle, and HOW they've changed, if they will be more lenient on hours/volunteer/etc.

What program are you attending? I will be starting UW's DPT program in September however, I worry that this pandemic will negatively impact the curriculum especially when it comes to internship/ clinical rotations. I currently work at a short term rehab facility and we are not allowing students at this time... I wonder how current students will complete their clinicals with many OP clinics closed and many inpatient hospitals/clinics not allowing students....

Has your program given you any insight into this?

What program are you attending? I will be starting UW's DPT program in September however, I worry that this pandemic will negatively impact the curriculum especially when it comes to internship/ clinical rotations. I currently work at a short term rehab facility and we are not allowing students at this time... I wonder how current students will complete their clinicals with many OP clinics closed and many inpatient hospitals/clinics not allowing students....

Has your program given you any insight into this?
I will be attending Thomas Jefferson. They have kept us updated to the best of their ability so far, but they’re uncertain as to what the future is going to hold. Basically we have been told that we will start in May no matter what whether online or in person. We have gotten extensions to get our clearances for clinical since CPR sites are closed down. Since we are entering our first semester and we don’t participate in clinical in our pre-fall semester we have had no insight as to what they’re doing for clinical. That part is concerning, but I’m just trying to take it one day at a time and give my program the time to figure out what they’re going to do. I know they have our best interest in mind so they will do everything in our power to keep us on the right track.