DPT a doc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nev

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I should persue physical therapy.....but I gotta clear some cobwebs first.

Can DPT's run a rehab center on their own? Can they also be hired as rehabilitation physicians? And how much do they earn?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

nev said:
I think I should persue physical therapy.....but I gotta clear some cobwebs first.

Can DPT's run a rehab center on their own? Can they also be hired as rehabilitation physicians? And how much do they earn?

Thanks

A DPT is not a physician in any capacity. They simply are a a PT with a doctorate. Physiatrists are rehab physicians.

You can conceivably run an outpatient rehab facility on your own but you will depend on physician referral for your patients. You cannot be hired as a rehab physician because you are not a physiatrist. Earning potential depends on whether you are working for someone or owning your own business. Working for someone will probably net you anywhere from 40K to 55K or so depending on experience. Owning your own business obviously has higher earning potential but there will be more work involved.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a DPT student at WashU. The above thread is correct. the DPT is not a physician. We do not prescribe meds, order imaging, or perform any invasive procedures. The DPT is a physical therapist with a doctorate degree. The level of education and training one recieves with the DPT depends on the school you go to. To say the least, some schools are better than others.

In terms of directing a clinic, many of our new DPT WashU grads have been offered positions to direct a facilityfrom the start, but some may not want to start directing right away so you can gain more experience and learn from other PTs. I have asked the new grads the range of salary they have been offered, and there is a huge range from 55k - 85k starting.

delicatefade said:
100K is not going to be the norm by far.

agreed. 100k is by far not the norm.

keep in mind that physical therapy has MANY different settings to work in. the range i put out earlier (55k - 85k) was all from outpatient ortho clinics (some privately owned, some from large corporations) generally, the most common starting figure i have found are around 60k more or less depending on location -- and all of that plays out evenly with the region's cost of living. so you might start at around 65k in california, but living there will cost a whole lot more than other places also.

if you really want to earn 100k as a PT ... you probably will end up doing a lot more administrative duties and management, or open up your own practice. I know some privately owned PT practices where the owners can make as much or as little as they want -- it all becomes business by then ...