DPT and Hand Therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blondealleleDPT

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some advice. I'm applying for DPT programs to start 2017, and am very interested in eventually pursuing a CHT advanced certification. But overwhelmingly, I see OTs as CHTs, and very few DPTs as CHTs. Will I be at a disadvantage going for a DPT degree instead of OT? Are there any DPT, CHTs out there that can shed some light on how they feel DPT helped them with hand therapy?

Members don't see this ad.

No you will have an advantage. DPTs are better trained than OTs, and are more qualified to be CHTs. My professor spoke about this today, saying the more DPTs need to get CHT certification.

Thank you @SloanTriumph ! That's relieving. Did they say why there aren't more DPTs going for that certification? I'm just so curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
OTs like the CHT because it's one of the only certs worth getting for them. It's funny my professor went on a rant today about how DPTs need to "take back" that cert. I'm thinking there's less DPTs because they have more options to choose from.

Haha what timing!
OTs like the CHT because it's one of the only certs worth getting for them. It's funny my professor went on a rant today about how DPTs need to "take back" that cert. I'm thinking there's less DPTs because they have more options to choose from.