DPT blog: About my journey, advice for new applicants, reapplicants, and anyone seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptlover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I have been a long time user of SDN it helped me get through the application process a few times. It has been the best resource for me thus far. I have finally gotten in to PT school after an extremely long journey! I am still awaiting other decisions, but feel so grateful right now. The one thing that I would have personally liked to have seen during my journey to be a Physical Therapist is a blog that covers a few things about Physical Therapy as a student. Especially, someone who is a re-applicant. My hope in posting this thread is to help anyone who may need advice or hope that they can pursue their dream in becoming a Physical Therapist. I just want everyone to not give up, and know that it is so possible for you to be a Physical Therapist, you may need to polish a few things, but I promise you can do it! I am so excited to be a resource for everyone. My first post is my journey about how I improved my application and finally got in to Physical Therapy School.

Here is the link to my blog:
dptknow.com

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I just wanted to also say every so often that I feel that I write something super helpful, I'll update this post so that it may help anyone who needs it !

I just made a new post : What can you start doing to prepare your application?
Whether you are a new applicant or reapplicant here are some tips I found helpful hope this helps!

dptknow.com

Last edited:
Awesome blog! I enjoyed reading it!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to also say every so often that I feel that I write something super helpful, I'll update this post so that it may help anyone who needs it !

I just made a new post : What can you start doing to prepare your application?
Whether you are a new applicant or reapplicant here are some tips I found helpful hope this helps!

http://dptknow.tumblr.com/

Two things I noted that I just wanted to comment on:

1. Your post about observation hours is spot on, except I wanted to add that is is a good idea to start dedicating effort early and often to obtaining acute care hours. You don't need a ton (many large hospitals will limit you to 20 or 40 hour observation experiences anyway), but acute care hours are the hardest to obtain due to hospital policies and bureaucracy and is probably the setting that adcoms like to see on your application the most (as this is the setting applicants are most commonly missing, and it is a setting that is very different in its very nature from other PT settings). There are a couple of schools in the country that specifically mandate acute care hours, but the vast majority do not. But I've found having them is a great boon for applicants.

2. I just wanted to emphasize the fact that you do not need to have worked as a PT tech or aide to get into PT school (which I'm glad you pointed out). I have seen no evidence that former PT aides have any advantage in the application process, as variety of observation hours is much more esteemed by adcoms than sheer number of hours. If you want to work as a tech and it is the best job you can get, fantastic go for it. It is also a great way to get to know a PT well and end up with a strong PT LOR in your application package (probably the main benefit of working as a tech as I see it). But if you can find a job that pays better, or works better with your schedule, etc., then there is no reason to feel like you should be working as a tech instead. I have worked throughout college as a tech in a private cancer research lab, and it has been a fantastic job that has allowed me flexibility of working hours that almost no other job would. I'm not saying that is better than having been a PT aide (and I do regret that I didn't get to know some PT LOR writers better), I'm just pointing out that I see a lot of posters on SDN that seem to thing that if they work during college, it has to be a PT related job.

I've found where you worked during college to be kind of like what your major was - it's something that seems to cause future applicants much consternation, but in reality adcoms genrally don't care very much.

Reactions: 1 users
Nice blog... I too wanted more info when I was applying! Thats why I started blogging. Where did you end up getting accepted and when do you start?
Perhaps you've already checked it out but here is a link to my blog...
http://dptusa.blogspot.com

I like your blog! It is definitely helpful especially the interview post. And I got in to NIU and Governors State in IL, I am still waiting on a few other schools before I commit anywhere:)

I like your blog! It is definitely helpful especially the interview post. And I got in to NIU and Governors State in IL, I am still waiting on a few other schools before I c
I like your blog! It is definitely helpful especially the interview post. And I got in to NIU and Governors State in IL, I am still waiting on a few other schools before I commit an

I find myself in a very similar situation to yours. Really nice work on this blog. When did you hear back from NIU?

Thank you all for taking the time to read my blog it means a lot! I really appreciate the feedback.
@knj27 I will definitely tweak my post to expand/ include some of the points that you highlighted.Thanks for the suggestions!

New post: Interview Advice series! Since it is still interview season I posted some information, that I hope is helpful! If you have a blog with interview advice I'll link it to my blog post :)

Members don't see this ad :)
New post: Interview Advice series! Since it is still interview season I posted some information, that I hope is helpful! If you have a blog with interview advice I'll link it to my blog post :)

I noticed that you mentioned in one post that you have seen "blue and black mostly" when it comes to men's suits. I just wanted to point out, as I have done in several other threads recently, that in the United States and most other western countries the convention is for men to wear either a navy or charcoal suit to an interview. While many pre-meds, pre-PTs and pre-everything elses will continue to insist on wearing black suits despite the advice of people who know better, because they think it makes them look like 007, that does not make them right. Black suits are inappropriate for professional interviews, and just because you can wear a black suit and still get accepted to PT school doesn't mean you should. At an interview I went to both the PT interviewees and the pharmacy interviewees that were there looked like an absolute funeral procession.

Also, men should not arrive to an interview for professional school without a suit. Yes, people who just wear a shirt and tie get into PT school every year. No, your clothing generally does not have a significant impact on your chances of acceptance (as long as it is not grossly inappropriate). Yes, you should still wear a suit anyway. It is, always has been, and always will be the correct thing to do when attending an interview. No khakis, no sweaters without jackets. Navy or charcoal suits. Go to a menswear store in the mall, cough up $250 dollars for a decent suit that fits you properly. You don't need to look like a GQ cover page. You just need to look like you understand the rules of western society and are capably of abiding by them.

Just thought I'd get on my soapbox here. K thanks. :)

Last edited:
I noticed that you mentioned in one post that you have seen "blue and black mostly" when it comes to men's suits. I just wanted to point out, as I have done in several other threads recently, that in the United States and most other western countries the convention is for men to wear either a navy or charcoal suit to an interview. While many pre-meds, pre-PTs and pre-everything elses will continue to insist on wearing black suits despite the advice of people who know better, because they think it makes them look like 007, that does not make them right. Black suits are inappropriate for professional interviews, and just because you can wear a black suit and still get accepted to PT school doesn't mean you should. At an interview I went to both the PT interviewees and the pharmacy interviewees that were there looked like an absolute funeral procession.

Also, men should not arrive to an interview for professional school without a suit. Yes, people who just wear a shirt and tie get into PT school every year. No, your clothing generally does not have a significant impact on your chances of acceptance (as long as it is not grossly inappropriate). Yes, you should still wear a suit anyway. It is, always has been, and always will be the correct thing to do when attending an interview. No khakis, no sweaters without jackets. Navy or charcoal suits. Just charcoal suits. Go to a menswear store in the mall, cough up $250 dollars for a decent suit that fits you properly. You don't need to look like a GQ cover page. You just need to look like you understand the rules of western society and are capably of abiding by them.

Just thought I'd get on my soapbox here. K thanks. :)

I know nothing of men's fashion lol. But that makes sense

Black suits are for bankers and funerals.

If you think wearing a black suit makes a difference for a PT Interview or a job interview you are delusional. It's an insult to the people interviewing you that they would be so petty to care what color your suit is. The fact that you wear a suit is important not the shade it is. If you are a good applicant/candidate that is what matters.

Wearing a polo and khakis versus a suit is a different argument. But the people posting that it matters I hope that when you interview or are trying to get a job the person doing the decision making doesn't have to pay attention to the color of your suit to base their decision off of. Fashion is personal just wear something appropriate-

With how expensive applications are, as long as you look professional thats what matters. I discussed this with 3 DPT professors at 3 different institutions. What was said was they know how expensive things are and that as long as you look professional and act professional thats what counts. Who you are as a person matters most.

We are all in different situations. Professional is all we can ask of ourselves.

Last edited:
If you think wearing a black suit makes a difference for a PT Interview or a job interview you are delusional. It's an insult to the people interviewing you that they would be so petty to care what color your suit is. The fact that you wear a suit is important not the shade it is. If you are a good applicant/candidate that is what matters.

I never said it makes a difference in whether you get accepted to school or hired for a job (at least not in the PT world - in other professions it probably would). Re-read my post carefully. I said that the proper way to follow the rules of business dress is to not wear a black suit to an interview. Black suits should be worn to formal occasions such as weddings, funerals, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
NEW POST: Applying/ Reapplying Checklist

I am also working on a post about how to make a connection with a PT you are shadowing- should be up tonight. There are a few other things in the works too! So stay tuned.

If there is anything you need advice on, want me to write about let me know!

EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE THAT I HAVE AN OFFICIAL SITE NOW! Woooooohooo! Navigation on here is really awesome and its easier to find posts! Hopefully it is helpful to you the new site is:

dptknow.com

Last edited:
EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE THAT I HAVE AN OFFICIAL SITE NOW! Woooooohooo! Navigation on here is really awesome and its easier to find posts! Hopefully it is helpful to you the new site is:

dptknow.wix.com/dptknow

I love the new navigation haha Your content is also super helpful - I've linked to several of your posts on my blog.

The link you provided takes me to "http:// dptknow.wix.com/dptknow" which doesn't work. I'm not sure why that happened, but I deleted the %20 at the beginning and it took me to your site no problem. Maybe try editing the link?

I love the new navigation haha Your content is also super helpful - I've linked to several of your posts on my blog.

The link you provided takes me to "http:// dptknow.wix.com/dptknow" which doesn't work. I'm not sure why that happened, but I deleted the %20 at the beginning and it took me to your site no problem. Maybe try editing the link?

Hey! Thank you so much:) I fixed it :) Thanks for linking to my blog it means so much I really appreciate it! EDIT: I actually have you linked under my other cool blogs link *

Last edited:
You're welcome! There are already so many great blog posts that it doesn't make sense for me to make another post with the same information.

Thanks for linking to me too. I saw that a while ago :)

NEW POST: Pre-Studying for DPT School . Just my advice and what I have been doing! Also I am doing a GIVEAWAY! I am so excited to provide 2 people with something essential for PT school. It's a thank you for everyone who has read my blog, asked questions and supported it! Visit my site to read the post and for more information on the giveaway :

dptknow.com

Last edited:
My cGPA from undergrad is a 2.8, with a 2.65 for my last 60 credit hours. Knowing that I automatically am disqualified from the majority of DPT programs due to not meeting the minimum GPA requirements is disconcerting, to say the least. Especially when I still have a good 5 or 6 prereq classes to take, as well as the GRE. Luckily I already have 2 years of experience as a PT tech in outpatient ortho and will be shadowing inpatient acute care at the local hospital as well. I have 2 letters of rec from PTs that I've worked for, as well as a strong LOR from my most recent boss. So the focus for me is doing as well as possible in my remaining prereqs and scoring well on the GRE. I just hope it's not that long of a process.

My cGPA from undergrad is a 2.8, with a 2.65 for my last 60 credit hours. Knowing that I automatically am disqualified from the majority of DPT programs due to not meeting the minimum GPA requirements is disconcerting, to say the least. Especially when I still have a good 5 or 6 prereq classes to take, as well as the GRE. Luckily I already have 2 years of experience as a PT tech in outpatient ortho and will be shadowing inpatient acute care at the local hospital as well. I have 2 letters of rec from PTs that I've worked for, as well as a strong LOR from my most recent boss. So the focus for me is doing as well as possible in my remaining prereqs and scoring well on the GRE. I just hope it's not that long of a process.

That is a great focus! You'll get there you'll just have to be super strategic and really hone in on your strengths. Reach out to admissions representatives. Let them know your situation. If you are applying to a state school tour and speak with staff. Make your name stick out. It worked for me! I made sure my name stuck out etc

Hey ptlover, I hope you don't mind me posting here as well!

I have two new posts to my blog! I probably won't be updating too much until classes start this August, but I'll add one or two more posts about applying in the meantime. Let me know if you have any feedback about any post I've made. :) You can also follow me on my Tumblr, if you would prefer to follow/ask questions there.

Guide to Observation Hours

How to Prepare for the GRE