You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
DPT + boyfriend OR med school
Started by MsJackson
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't stay and do PT at an expensive school unless you are 100% sure about the profession. This is a field that I feel you really have to be passionate about to invest the time and money into. As you said, reimbursement is not quite where it should be, so if you're going to spend 3 years and quite a bit of money on the education, it better be something you love!
Speaking as someone who is in a long distance relationship right now (1 year down, 3 more to go), if you both are truly meant to be with one another, you will find a way to make it work. That may seem cliche and not what you're looking for, but it is very true!
Speaking as someone who is in a long distance relationship right now (1 year down, 3 more to go), if you both are truly meant to be with one another, you will find a way to make it work. That may seem cliche and not what you're looking for, but it is very true!
MsJackson,
I can appreciate your decision, because I was deciding between going to Medical School vs. DPT school+gf. We(the gf and I) have never been at the brink of a break-up because of this situation, but it would have certainly been a strain, because there is always this "imaginary timeline" for kids, family, etc. When you think of medical school, you have to think in terms of 7-11 yrs not 4. I am 25 years old as well, and will be starting DPT school this fall.
I will tell you that you have to really search your heart of hearts in order to decide which route is best for you. Money is important, especially given the time and sacrifice you will be committing in either DPT or Medical school. I would do my very best to not attend a private university with crazy tuition if you could help it(for MD/DO or DPT), but you would obviously be able to manage better with an MD/DO salary should you choose that route. You have to imagine that your ceiling/w experience with a DPT degree yet working MD hours(45-60hrs/week) may be in the 125-150K range, and that is contingent on where you live. As an MD, you could make more in the range 180K-1M+ depending on specialty(i.e.plastics, neurosurgery, micro-vascular surgery, owning multiple practices) and time commitments. There obviously is no competition as it relates to compensation.
-Create a value chart to assess what means the most to you
-Understand the different career fields(Physician vs. Physical Therapist)
-Have a clear understanding btwn your significant other no matter what route you choose
-Attempt to be the VERY BEST no matter what field you choose.
I can appreciate your decision, because I was deciding between going to Medical School vs. DPT school+gf. We(the gf and I) have never been at the brink of a break-up because of this situation, but it would have certainly been a strain, because there is always this "imaginary timeline" for kids, family, etc. When you think of medical school, you have to think in terms of 7-11 yrs not 4. I am 25 years old as well, and will be starting DPT school this fall.
I will tell you that you have to really search your heart of hearts in order to decide which route is best for you. Money is important, especially given the time and sacrifice you will be committing in either DPT or Medical school. I would do my very best to not attend a private university with crazy tuition if you could help it(for MD/DO or DPT), but you would obviously be able to manage better with an MD/DO salary should you choose that route. You have to imagine that your ceiling/w experience with a DPT degree yet working MD hours(45-60hrs/week) may be in the 125-150K range, and that is contingent on where you live. As an MD, you could make more in the range 180K-1M+ depending on specialty(i.e.plastics, neurosurgery, micro-vascular surgery, owning multiple practices) and time commitments. There obviously is no competition as it relates to compensation.
-Create a value chart to assess what means the most to you
-Understand the different career fields(Physician vs. Physical Therapist)
-Have a clear understanding btwn your significant other no matter what route you choose
-Attempt to be the VERY BEST no matter what field you choose.
To go back to this discussion again, in my honest opinion, you are 25 and you should put yourself first - especially in career decisions that will ultimately define your entire future. Unfortunately, YOU and YOUR life and happiness is what matters at the end of the day.
Yes, yes flame me I said put your career ahead.
In this situation, yes, put your career ahead. Why? Because the real, true, soul-mate love happens to 0.01% of the population IMO. The others are people who meet at the "right place, right time" in terms of their relationship needs.
Sorry if I offend anyone, but I've witnessed enough in my life (via family and friends) to want to protect my girls.
Remember, you have ZERO guarantees in ANY relationship. You could be dating a week or married 25 years and have things fall apart or have someone wake up one day and tell you "I don't love you anymore". At the end of that road all you will have is what you've earned for yourself - your education.
I say, if you have the capacity and aspirations to go further, then GO FOR IT ALWAYS. You don't know where your relationship will be in 1 month, 1 year, 10 years. You don't want to wake up and think "I should have..." to something as EASY as med school.
In terms of kids, you, the child bearer, are young, you have at least 10-15 years available for that. Sure your guy might be a dad at 37 but so what? If all you are going to concern yourself with are "logistics" like age/time/income then he should have thought ahead that perhaps you are not ready for kids yet, or at least realized that the rather big age difference might be an issue.
I say, if someone is not able to be proud and supportive of something as amazing as having their SO become a medical doctor, then they are not the person for you.
Talk to him, see if he is willing to relocate or move apart for a while.
The other issue is a 33 year old "needy" guy?? dating a 25 year old girl with ambitions of medicine???
Mac,
I totally understand what you are saying about putting yourself first, because there are too many relationships, marriages, etc that do not work out and people end up settling on lot of fronts. I personally do not feel that way. The DPT route was always first in line, while MD/DO was something that came up after I recognized I could do that as well. I was doing my clinical observations and the CIs and PT/OT/SLP staff were asking me, "Man, are you sure you don't want to be a physician? I think you would crush it!" Then all of my pre-xyz friends were telling me the same thing, thus I started say "hmm, I wonder.....
At the end of the day, I went with the DPT b/c I knew that there were only less than a handful of medical specialties I saw myself practicing for the next 25-35yrs. I also knew that I wanted to be in the field where I had much more pt interaction. As the winds of healthcare change and uncertainty abounds, check back with me in about a 5-7yrs, lol! Now for the OP, I don't know if her situation is the same. I am happy with my decision(at least now right?🙄), because I know I am about to get a top flight education from a very reputable rehab/medical school. And heck, if worst comes to worst I will go back and do more. Whether it be MD/DO, PhD in Neuroscience, Anatomy/Physiology, Biochemistry(some of my other interests).
FYI:No need to apologize for you opinion, because there was no vitriol or rancor that came across. Just my $0.02!
Ms. Jackson,
I have not had any conversations with any PT to MD/DO. There are a number of them on this forum, and they seem to be really content with that decision. Given the fact that the cost of PT education has seemingly skyrocketed over the last decade, yet the compensation has not seems to be a big issue. So investing in a DPT education and then a MD/DO education would be very expensive. If you really want to go to medical school, then do so. It seems like, unlike me, MD/DO was your first line choice and not the DPT. I disagree with any notion that your relationship should not be considered; however that it is a matter that is better suited for private conversations.
On another note, this thread should really be moved to pre-PT since I believe it falls under that umbrella. I will move it, and if you need to find this thread it will be located in the pre-PT forum.
I have not had any conversations with any PT to MD/DO. There are a number of them on this forum, and they seem to be really content with that decision. Given the fact that the cost of PT education has seemingly skyrocketed over the last decade, yet the compensation has not seems to be a big issue. So investing in a DPT education and then a MD/DO education would be very expensive. If you really want to go to medical school, then do so. It seems like, unlike me, MD/DO was your first line choice and not the DPT. I disagree with any notion that your relationship should not be considered; however that it is a matter that is better suited for private conversations.
On another note, this thread should really be moved to pre-PT since I believe it falls under that umbrella. I will move it, and if you need to find this thread it will be located in the pre-PT forum.
Hi,
I am extremely conflicted right now. I'm 25 years old and have been dating the same guy for almost three years. We've talked about it and could be married, have kids, all that. He's really a great guy, but his employment is tied to the city that we're are currently living. Also, he's 33 years old. So, the options:
1. Go to PT school (private) in our current city, which means we stay together and probably build a family together. The problems are that it's expensive, especially compared to a DPT salary, and I don't want to regret NOT pursuing the MD route.
2. Go to med school across the country, which means we try to have a long-distance relationship. However, he is endearingly needy, so I don't know if we could handle 4 years apart. Also, he feels like he wants to have kids sooner rather than later, given his age. Med school is also expensive, but the MD salary is better.
I have no idea what to do. I don't want to regret any life decisions in 20 years. If I get a DPT, I might regret not getting an MD. If I go to med school, I might end up single and lonely forever, or in a less great relationship. I would love any input. Thanks!
The best chance of admission for medical school are public schools in-state, followed by private in-state medical schools. If you feel you don't have a strong application now, you could spend the next year strengthening your credentials (e.g. higher score on the MCAT) and reapply to in-state schools. This would be a compromise between your two options. Are you already admitted to a private medical school in another state?
Making decisions like this is hard. It's obvious that you want to support your boyfriend's wishes, but you are the one who needs support now.
I think you've really raised the stakes of this decision beyond what is fair to you: MD-regrets in 20 years or loneliness in 20 years. Nobody knows what the future holds, so you have to make the decision based on what you desire. I think you should compare what your career as physician would be vs that as a PT.
On the relationship note, love and fear are powerful forces. You can love someone who isn't good for you, and you can make decisions out of fear. You have to be true to your own heart. I believe the right relationship helps you achieve your dreams.
I think a lot of these responses are really great and nothing has been offensive.
I never thought about med school because I hate needles (this is such a stupid reason) or any other health profession, and since I'm a "career changer" I hadn't considered anything health related prior to PT. PT just seems like the perfect fit for me, it's a combination of all the things I love-- teaching & social interaction, "exercise" and anatomy. 🙂
That being said, you need someone who will be 110% behind you. I've been with my bf for 4 years and he literally bought me a house 2 miles from the school I'm attending. It's not a ring on my finger, but it's a pretty huge commitment that shows he truly believes in me & my ability to succeed in school. When I started applying for schools he also started looking for jobs & relocated for me. Now, granted I did stay within the state and the same area, so I'm only moving about 1.5 hours from home and he only "relocated" job wise about 40 minutes into the city, but still... I couldn't have asked for more from him. 🙂
So, you need to pursue what YOU dream of, and if he truly cares about you, he will make it work one way or another!
GOOD LUCK! 🙂
I never thought about med school because I hate needles (this is such a stupid reason) or any other health profession, and since I'm a "career changer" I hadn't considered anything health related prior to PT. PT just seems like the perfect fit for me, it's a combination of all the things I love-- teaching & social interaction, "exercise" and anatomy. 🙂
That being said, you need someone who will be 110% behind you. I've been with my bf for 4 years and he literally bought me a house 2 miles from the school I'm attending. It's not a ring on my finger, but it's a pretty huge commitment that shows he truly believes in me & my ability to succeed in school. When I started applying for schools he also started looking for jobs & relocated for me. Now, granted I did stay within the state and the same area, so I'm only moving about 1.5 hours from home and he only "relocated" job wise about 40 minutes into the city, but still... I couldn't have asked for more from him. 🙂
So, you need to pursue what YOU dream of, and if he truly cares about you, he will make it work one way or another!
GOOD LUCK! 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
But, you should decide what your goal in life is to be. Pt vs MD. What type of MD vs pt. Next, your bf needs to make a commitment on his part. If you stay b/c of him and compromise, AND it doesn't work out? Double whammy.
But really who are any of us to give you advice on your relationship. Sounds like you two need to have a heart to heart chat.
Or you could look at a 3rd option: PA school, that could be your intermediary, give you a compromise on your goals if you get in with a good doc. Low cost of debt tuition to salary income. I know a lot of docs (Mds) that look at the PAs with a pang of regret having spent all that $$$ on tuition.
Anyway good luck!
But really who are any of us to give you advice on your relationship. Sounds like you two need to have a heart to heart chat.
Or you could look at a 3rd option: PA school, that could be your intermediary, give you a compromise on your goals if you get in with a good doc. Low cost of debt tuition to salary income. I know a lot of docs (Mds) that look at the PAs with a pang of regret having spent all that $$$ on tuition.
Anyway good luck!
I know youre acompassionate person. What would you tell someone in your shoes?
I would wantsomeone to tell me to do what I want, no matter what anyone thinks. No matterhow long it takes or the cost involved, listening to your heart and fallowingit is a priceless gift.
Sometimes our friends families and loved onescan hold us back; what fallows can become a train of painful and often dramatic circus like events.
Hi,
I'm 25 years old and have been dating the same guy for almost three years. We've talked about it and could be married, have kids, all that. He's really a great guy
probably build a family together.
However, he is endearingly needy, so I don't know if we could handle 4 years apart. Thanks!
Do you not find it odd that you've been dating a guy for 3 years and didn't once mention that you love him? You could "probably build a family together". That sounds more like compromise than love.
Also "needy" is not a good quality in a spouse when you are attempting to get an advanced degree.
Maybe I'm reading too much into your word selection, but if you aren't sure he's the one in 3 years, maybe it is time to cut the cord.
Do you not find it odd that you've been dating a guy for 3 years and didn't once mention that you love him? You could "probably build a family together". That sounds more like compromise than love.
Also "needy" is not a good quality in a spouse when you are attempting to get an advanced degree.
Maybe I'm reading too much into your word selection, but if you aren't sure he's the one in 3 years, maybe it is time to cut the cord.
This is a good point, if you aren't reading too much into what she's saying. I've been dating my SO for almost 5 years and I absolutely without a doubt love him, but I would use the "probably build a family together" with him, not because I doubt our relationship, but because neither one of us are sure if we want kids or not... however, we are happily building upon our "family" by getting a new kitten soon. Hopefully our first cat likes her too! 😉
I just had to weigh in. My boyfriend and I have been together for 6 years. It took me 3 years to get into PT school (pre-reqs, I used to be a teacher), and I just started PT school at the end of May. I am currently living 3 hours away from him and certainly don't see him every weekend. Granted, this is still in the early stages, but he also used to be pretty needy when I was at home trying to study, or if I would need to leave an outing early to study, etc.
However....he also knows that I am the type of girl that although I love him very much, was going to go to PT school with or without him. These posters are right, at the end of the day, nothing is certain and you've got to rely on you. If he can't support you through that, then it wasn't meant to be. I know it's completely cliché, but totally true.
I would have kicked myself for YEARS and eventually probably resented him if I hadn't gone to school. (Granted, I still toss around DO/MD maybe later and he laughs and says I need to pay off this debt first!🙂)
Do what YOU want to do, and if it's kismet, well, it will be.
May I also add that I am 31 and he knows we're waiting to get married until I graduate and kids at least a year or two after that? I'll be around 35, 36. I know this is a bit of an extreme, but hey, it's a reference point!
However....he also knows that I am the type of girl that although I love him very much, was going to go to PT school with or without him. These posters are right, at the end of the day, nothing is certain and you've got to rely on you. If he can't support you through that, then it wasn't meant to be. I know it's completely cliché, but totally true.
I would have kicked myself for YEARS and eventually probably resented him if I hadn't gone to school. (Granted, I still toss around DO/MD maybe later and he laughs and says I need to pay off this debt first!🙂)
Do what YOU want to do, and if it's kismet, well, it will be.
May I also add that I am 31 and he knows we're waiting to get married until I graduate and kids at least a year or two after that? I'll be around 35, 36. I know this is a bit of an extreme, but hey, it's a reference point!