DPT info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mill_z

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everone, this is my first post here and I just had a few questions about DPT programs and what's possible with the degree.

I recently withdrew from a chiropractic college (due to lack of scientific teachings and inter-profession disagreement) and have been exploring my options for other related fields such as PT, MD/DO, PA, and even OD. I've worked in an athletic center for 3 yrs. and really enjoy the atmosphere. I would eventually like to open my own gym.

I would just like some opinions about the DPT progrom form people who have been involved somehow (in the program or graduated from it).

Is career enjoyable?
Is the money good compared to the amount of school?
How competitive would it be to get hired through a university athletic dept.?
What kind of bullsh--, if any, do you put up with along the way? (there's a lot in chiropractic)
Are you glad you went through it or are you planning to obtain more schooling?

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

mill_z said:
Hey everone, this is my first post here and I just had a few questions about DPT programs and what's possible with the degree.

I recently withdrew from a chiropractic college (due to lack of scientific teachings and inter-profession disagreement) and have been exploring my options for other related fields such as PT, MD/DO, PA, and even OD. I've worked in an athletic center for 3 yrs. and really enjoy the atmosphere. I would eventually like to open my own gym.

I would just like some opinions about the DPT progrom form people who have been involved somehow (in the program or graduated from it).

Is career enjoyable?
Is the money good compared to the amount of school?
How competitive would it be to get hired through a university athletic dept.?
What kind of bullsh--, if any, do you put up with along the way? (there's a lot in chiropractic)
Are you glad you went through it or are you planning to obtain more schooling?

Financially, the upside is not as great as MD or DO or DDS or some DC but you can earn a fine living while not carrying a beeper. New grads start at or around $50K, successful private practice owners can earn upwards of $200K depending on their setting etc . . .
I don't know how hard it is to get into a university but probably PhD in AT or PhD in something else related would get you in the door faster since universities are supposed to be about research and DPT is not a research degree.

As far as the Bullsh--, there is some in any profession. In ours, it really depends on the work situation. Most of PT is currently referral driven so if you have a good working relationship with your referrors, there shouldn't be much of a problem. But if you have referrors that think they know more than you about your job and rehab and joint mobilization etc . . . you could have some stress.

Other schooling - I am an ATC like you, and did it first. Then I got my MS PT, and now I am getting my DPT. I doubt that I will pursue many more letters behind my name although I like studying (I can't believe I said that) and obviously will continue to attend CEUs. I think that the most important investment in my staff is education, not "stuff". I am very happy with my decision.

Currently I am the director of my department at a 25 bed hospital in rural Minnesota, but have worked at an outpatient Sports medicine clinic (private practice) in Kansas City and loved both settings. The KC job was more "sexy" but the lifestyle and pay are better where I am now.

Good luck with your decision.