DPT's calling themselves doctors and physicians...WHY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm new to this forum, so hello to all!

Wow. What a debate you all have going! It's exciting.
Quite honestly when I earn this degree I will just introduce myself to the patient as "your physical therapist". If someone asks I'll say I earned a Doctor of Physical Therapy. I'll put DPT after my signature on appropriate clinical documents and that's it. If someone calls me Dr. then it's true...I did earn the educational right to be called Dr....and I will go out of my way to make sure they know I am in no shape or form a medical doctor.

I'll be as bold to say give the patient some credit - most of them already know the DPT is not an MD/DO. :nod:

That is exactly how I handle it. No confrontation. No pissing matches. No misunderstandings.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand You Guys, Physical therapists never call themselves as a physicians , they call them self as a doctors in physical therapy.

with out knowing this basic difference why u guys posting these kind of sit in forums. physical therapists also earn highest degree like DPT , then they are DOCTORS IN PHYSICAL THERAPY not in medicine or in other facility, If any body call himself as a physician doctor that is felony.

I know about Physiotherapists , lot of Pt's are loyal and humble, they call them selfs are a doctors in physical therapy. not Physician doctors.

If any body had any problem they can go for attorney and courts. its a felony when they call them self a a physician doctors. You guys better to question about cheaters not who earn degree with hard work and loyal.

and "DOCTOR" the word is not a patent for physicians, you should know this basic difference.
have a nice day

I don't understand You Guys, Physical therapists never call themselves as a physicians , they call them self as a doctors in physical therapy.

with out knowing this basic difference why u guys posting these kind of sit in forums. physical therapists also earn highest degree like DPT , then they are DOCTORS IN PHYSICAL THERAPY not in medicine or in other facility, If any body call himself as a physician doctor that is felony.

I know about Physiotherapists , lot of Pt's are loyal and humble, they call them selfs are a doctors in physical therapy. not Physician doctors.

If any body had any problem they can go for attorney and courts. its a felony when they call them self a a physician doctors. You guys better to question about cheaters not who earn degree with hard work and loyal.

and "DOCTOR" the word is not a patent for physicians, you should know this basic difference.
have a nice day
I have yet to read a post from you where I can actually figure out what it is you are trying to say.

Members don't see this ad :)

have a nice day

Your patient's will realize who is the real "doctor" once you open your mouth.

You are right there is no patent for the word doctor, but tradionally it has been used for an M.D. Hence, the letters after the name on the lapcoat mean much more to the patient than the Dr.

Hopefully you are more coherant in speech than in written English.

Without restating much of what has already been said, the fact that DPTs earn their doctorate of physical therapy means that the title can or should be used with care. It would not make sense and is illegal for someone with just a dpt to refer to themselves as a physician. But if they wanted to put "Dr. Can'tbelieveIpassed" on a letterhead or formal document I see no harm done. I personally find it almost pretentious and unnecessary for someone to introduce themselves as Dr. X if the setting is not in academia or a hospital. Everyone is going to have their own opinion on this issue, but as long as patients are not being misled and everyone works within their scope of practice, minimal issues should arise.

Ok I have read most of the 3 pages, and there are valid points on both sides, pro and con for DPT's calling themselves doctors.

For the people saying Dr. is for medical doctors only, it's just false and you are having an ego trip.

For the DPT's trying to say they are a physician, again wrong and trying to say you are something you are not.

My point of view, for DPT, you have earned the right to be called Dr. So and So. To go about it properly you can say, i am Dr. XYZ, your physical therapist.

The Degree Dr, is not just for MD's or DO's. It's a degree, either in Academia or Health Care, and you have the full right to use it. The people arguing against others using Dr, is just because they are getting their ego's hurt or have a superiority complex.

I say use with Caution, and don't try to falsely advertise as a medical doctor.

Heck, Chiropractors are also called Dr. XYZ, and are referred to as Physicians, and everyone knows they are not medical doctors. So just use it with caution and within the limits. No harm and no foul if you are not trying to falsely identify yourself.

Just my 2 cents.. like it or hate it..:thumbup:

Ok I have read most of the 3 pages, and there are valid points on both sides, pro and con for DPT's calling themselves doctors.

For the people saying Dr. is for medical doctors only, it's just false and you are having an ego trip.

For the DPT's trying to say they are a physician, again wrong and trying to say you are something you are not.

My point of view, for DPT, you have earned the right to be called Dr. So and So. To go about it properly you can say, i am Dr. XYZ, your physical therapist.

The Degree Dr, is not just for MD's or DO's. It's a degree, either in Academia or Health Care, and you have the full right to use it. The people arguing against others using Dr, is just because they are getting their ego's hurt or have a superiority complex.

I say use with Caution, and don't try to falsely advertise as a medical doctor.

Heck, Chiropractors are also called Dr. XYZ, and are referred to as Physicians, and everyone knows they are not medical doctors. So just use it with caution and within the limits. No harm and no foul if you are not trying to falsely identify yourself.

Just my 2 cents.. like it or hate it..:thumbup:

well said,
100% i agree with you.

people can say whatever they want but i know for a fact that dentist is a DOCTOR! (aka mouth doctor,tooth doctor,and dental surgeon) followed by medical doctor.

Last edited:
people can say whatever they want but i know for a fact that dentist is a DOCTOR! (aka mouth doctor,tooth doctor,and dental surgeon) followed by medical doctor.

Uhmmm.... congratulations?:confused:

Uhmmm.... congratulations?:confused:

Californian has kind of a valid point. From the other arguments against PT's calling themselves doc's. Optometrist or Dentist is technically not a doctor (MD.DO), but they are called Dr. XYZ. Do people get confused between a Dentist and a Physician? No, they don't. They don't go to Medical School, but Dental and Optometry School. So i hope you see the point.

Like I said before, it's in the manner of presenting yourself.

Californian has kind of a valid point. From the other arguments against PT's calling themselves doc's. Optometrist or Dentist is technically not a doctor (MD.DO), but they are called Dr. XYZ. Do people get confused between a Dentist and a Physician? No, they don't. They don't go to Medical School, but Dental and Optometry School. So i hope you see the point.

Like I said before, it's in the manner of presenting yourself.

Good Point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know somebody pointed this out already but when it comes down to it the majority of patients will care more about how you articulate yourself and the service you provide then whatever your title is. Those who have experience in this field all know that a patient will respect your ability to asses them and guide them in their treatment more so then anything else and will build your reputation around that and not on your education. As far as what the public and colleagues know about the education now "required" it can be beneficial for others to recognize DPTs as Doctors. It's more about the advancement of the profession then an individual therapists career...Whether or not your called Doctor remember that you are relying on the physicians for their referrals...I think the reason it can be so confusing for many is that PTs treat so many different issues that other health professionals treat as well although the treatment can be vastly different..

okay so are you saying dentist is a doctor or what?Dentist is a doctor. Dental school is called Dental school of "Medicine" u get it? ask even physician if dentist is not a doctor or not.

okay so are you saying dentist is a doctor or what?Dentist is a doctor. Dental school is called Dental school of "Medicine" u get it? ask even physician if dentist is not a doctor or not.

I thought this was a PT forum? Am I on the right page? Californian, look at what Bigshoguns said before a few posts ago. Yes, dentists are "doctors." But this argument is primarily about physicians (M.D.'s and D.O.'s) vs. Physical Therapists (DPT), therefore, you would do better to bring this subject up in a dental forum.

The point of the matter is that those who have the ultimate degree in their profession (doctorate) deserve to be called Dr. Soandso, but as far as the healthcare setting is concerned I do not see myself telling my patients to call me doctor. If I am teaching a class, yes I expect it unless I state it otherwise.

For example: when I was first doing my observations with a DPT, I refered to him as Dr. XYZ when I met him. He quickly asked me to call him by his first name. I actually learned something here; I learned that I could have a closer relationship with this therapist, and so could his patients. If you think about it, the curtains of worry and anxiety seem to fall a bit when the patient knows they don't have to be so formal with you.

Yes, those with the DPT are "doctors" in the broadest sense, but that, in no way, makes them physicians. I say let's just drop the title, we go into this for other people (or at least we should) and altruism has no room for pride in my book.

I don't even see the point/reason for this discussion! yes, DPT are Doctors, No, that does not mean they are/want to be physicians. Yes, they can be called doctors (just as other professionals who are not physicians) , and yes they can also be called by first, last, or whatever name.....!

I don't even see the point/reason for this discussion! yes, DPT are Doctors, No, that does not mean they are/want to be physicians. Yes, they can be called doctors (just as other professionals who are not physicians) , and yes they can also be called by first, last, or whatever name.....!

I agree! BTW, I guess I see it as all physicians are doctors but not all doctors are physicians. The doctoral degree encompasses many things and that is what it is, a degree. All are trained to that level of education and are all doctors in their respective fields. In my eyes, it's that simple.

I agree! BTW, I guess I see it as all physicians are doctors but not all doctors are physicians. The doctoral degree encompasses many things and that is what it is, a degree. All are trained to that level of education and are all doctors in their respective fields. In my eyes, it's that simple.

Very Eloquently put.

Simply put, you get your doctorate degree, you're a "doctor." Whether it's a PhD, DPT, MD, DO, or whatever, you're a "doctor." Whether you want to call yourself a doctor is up to you. If you earned it, you have the right to put the "Dr." on your name tag. I'm a humble guy myself and quite frankly, I'm not sure I'd want anyone calling me a doctor. I'm perfectly fine with people just calling me by my first name.

This thread is embarrassing. It's a clinical doctorate degree. That does not make you a physician, it makes you a "Doctor of Physical Therapy". Whether or not the PT likes to be called doctor or not, they damn well better make sure they make the distinction clear for their patients.
End of discussion.

Simply put, you get your doctorate degree, you're a "doctor." Whether it's a PhD, DPT, MD, DO, or whatever, you're a "doctor." Whether you want to call yourself a doctor is up to you. If you earned it, you have the right to put the "Dr." on your name tag. I'm a humble guy myself and quite frankly, I'm not sure I'd want anyone calling me a doctor. I'm perfectly fine with people just calling me by my first name.

I hope you are aware that the path each one takes to have the "dr" tag is quite different.

The bottom line is the general public uses the term doctor to refer to their Medical Doctor. Put the egos aside. Physical Therapists should introduce themselves as the "Physical Therapist." They should refer to the Doctor as the "Medical Doctor." The DPT is now the entry-level degree for Physical Therapy. The bottom line is to not misrepresent oneself. This could be very bad for everyone involved. PTs should not call themselves "Doctor" in the clinical setting but should in the academic setting and in literature. Remember it's not about satisfying your ego but about establishing credibility in your profession and credibility amongst your peers.

The bottom line is the general public uses the term doctor to refer to their Medical Doctor. Put the egos aside. Physical Therapists should introduce themselves as the "Physical Therapist." They should refer to the Doctor as the "Medical Doctor." The DPT is now the entry-level degree for Physical Therapy. The bottom line is to not misrepresent oneself. This could be very bad for everyone involved. PTs should not call themselves "Doctor" in the clinical setting but should in the academic setting and in literature. Remember it's not about satisfying your ego but about establishing credibility in your profession and credibility amongst your peers.
While I agree with you that it is confusing to the public, quite frankly, that is their own fault for being ignorant. If you go through a doctoral program, you have the right to call yourself a doctor, no matter what situation you are in. With that being said, I personally will not call myself a doctor in front of anyone once I have my DPT, because I really dont care about that designation. But I do feel that I deserve that right if I so choose.

Just to add more fuel to the fire, if everyone wants to get all upset over PT's potentially using the god-forsaken title of "Doctor" in the clinic, why is it that we allow Chiro's to be "Doctors"? Is it because a few years ago someone decided to build an office, put a "Chiropractor" sign on the front door, throw on a white coat, and start practicing medicine? It is ironic to me that we are fine with people of a profession that is not even accredited to use the term Doctor, but programs with strict and federal standards cannot. :cool:

Also, why is it that we assume a doctor is an MD/DO? Why dont we make them change their clinical title to Physician instead? This way, we could all be educational "Doctors" amongst our peers and colleagues, but simply be "Physician", "PT", "PA", etc in the clinical setting.

I know where I stand on the issue and I really dont mind hearing other people's inputs. However, I just think some of the arguments people have over the term Doctor is ammusing. If I go through a doctoral program, I am a doctor. Period.

While I agree with you that it is confusing to the public, quite frankly, that is their own fault for being ignorant. If you go through a doctoral program, you have the right to call yourself a doctor, no matter what situation you are in. With that being said, I personally will not call myself a doctor in front of anyone once I have my DPT, because I really dont care about that designation. But I do feel that I deserve that right if I so choose.

Just to add more fuel to the fire, if everyone wants to get all upset over PT's potentially using the god-forsaken title of "Doctor" in the clinic, why is it that we allow Chiro's to be "Doctors"? Is it because a few years ago someone decided to build an office, put a "Chiropractor" sign on the front door, throw on a white coat, and start practicing medicine? It is ironic to me that we are fine with people of a profession that is not even accredited to use the term Doctor, but programs with strict and federal standards cannot. :cool:

Also, why is it that we assume a doctor is an MD/DO? Why dont we make them change their clinical title to Physician instead? This way, we could all be educational "Doctors" amongst our peers and colleagues, but simply be "Physician", "PT", "PA", etc in the clinical setting.

I know where I stand on the issue and I really dont mind hearing other people's inputs. However, I just think some of the arguments people have over the term Doctor is ammusing. If I go through a doctoral program, I am a doctor. Period.

Well said ....I agree 100%

What this boils down to is debate of the vernacular speech vs. academic terminology. Yes, it's a doctorate, but the public reserves the title "doctor" for physicians. Academia uses the word as a classification of a degree. Some will use that academic meaning in a public setting, which is technically honest, but deceitful in context.
If you are ignorant of the public's ignorance, who is worse?

What this boils down to is debate of the vernacular speech vs. academic terminology. Yes, it's a doctorate, but the public reserves the title "doctor" for physicians. Academia uses the word as a classification of a degree. Some will use that academic meaning in a public setting, which is technically honest, but deceitful in context.
If you are ignorant of the public's ignorance, who is worse?

So, by that logic, if I saw one of my professors at the mall this weekend and said "Hey Dr. Pollard, how's it going?", that is considered being deceitful in context since he is not a doctor at the mall, but on the university campus he is? Makes no sense to me.

I agree with your point that it is just a debate in terminology. You hit it on the head. However, if we do not make professors in academia refer to themselves as "Academia Dr. Pollard", and simply "Dr. Pollard" is fine, then why is it not okay for a PT to do the same? Once again, we must make it clear to the public what type of doctor we are (as should any profession), but if they want to stare through what we say and think we are a Physician, that is their problem.

To solve this, lets just mandate that all MD's refer to themselves as Medical Dr. Soandso, rather than just Dr.

DCs shouldn't call themselves doctors in the clinical setting either. From what I've been hearing most of what they practice isn't even backed up with "evidence-based" research. It constitutes fraud in my book if they are to call themselves "Doctor" which is based on evidence-based research. For a DC to call themselves a "Doctor" is misleading the public and misrepresentation. DCs should be investigated to make sure they are not misrepresenting/misleading the public. The public should know that they are a source of "Alternative Medicine."

Many people choose to be ignorant. As healthcare providers, many of these people are our clientele. Misrepresentation results in confusion. Confusion results in errors and people getting hurt. People getting hurt ultimately disintegrates the entire healthcare system and hurts every professional in it. The bottom line is, is there misrepresentation? If there is than there is a problem. Call yourself what you want as long as the clientele knows who you are. Leave your ego at the door. The clientele isn't here for you you are there for the clientele.

Last edited:
I hope you are aware that the path each one takes to have the "dr" tag is quite different.

I understand this 100%.

I've never came across a PT who referred to him or herself as an actual doctor. And I agree with you, they should not call themselves a doctor in a clinical setting, but academically it's appropriate.

I don't get the big deal over this. If someone wants to boost their ego and call themselves a doctor, then go right ahead. If that's what it takes for you to feel "good" or "special" then so be it. It's all about the patient. If you can take care of patients and do your job then call yourself the damn pope for all I care.

Last edited:
I've never came across a PT who referred to him or herself as an actual doctor. And I agree with you, they should not call themselves a doctor in a clinical setting, but academically it's appropriate.

If this were true, it would contradict the whole point of receiving your "Clinical Doctorate" --- now you are blurring the lines between DPT and PhD of PT/Exercise Science. This debate is nonsense. People are arguing with each other yet supporting the same points. Most professionals of the medical field are oversensitive to use the word "Doctor" in the public eye because of the image it may portray (malpractice etc.). If you carry yourself in a professional manner and within the scope of your practice, IT SHOULD NOT MATTER WHAT YOU ARE CALLED. Obviously if your Dentist walks in and starts stretching out your legs, you must be in the wrong office. When its all said and done, its more about the public becoming educated to make the distinction, rather than co-workers losing their ego (or they will come hand in hand).

If this were true, it would contradict the whole point of receiving your "Clinical Doctorate" --- now you are blurring the lines between DPT and PhD of PT/Exercise Science. This debate is nonsense. People are arguing with each other yet supporting the same points. Most professionals of the medical field are oversensitive to use the word "Doctor" in the public eye because of the image it may portray (malpractice etc.). If you carry yourself in a professional manner and within the scope of your practice, IT SHOULD NOT MATTER WHAT YOU ARE CALLED. Obviously if your Dentist walks in and starts stretching out your legs, you must be in the wrong office. When its all said and done, its more about the public becoming educated to make the distinction, rather than co-workers losing their ego (or they will come hand in hand).

Right on.

It is expected to see many future/existing DPTs and PTs have different views on this subject. . .there should be NO responsible, non-physician health professional (doctorate degree earned or not) out there that will want to assume a (allopathic/osteopathic) physician role when a person is hemorrhaging or when a compound fracture needs immediate fixation. Trust me, you WILL NOT.

Be cognizant that the term physician is not exclusive just to MDs/DOs. There are other health care practitioners that ARE granted statutory physician status. Physicians come in optometric, acupuncture, podiatric, chiropractic and naturopathic flavors. Some with or without doctorate training.

Unfortunately, chiropractors do have physician status in some states and a "doctorate", so they will carry their swagger as "doctors". But these guys hardly ever set foot in a hospital/medical clinic in an official manner, so they don't present too much harm to the public :oops:

And that's what it's about, safety to the public-the potentially ignorant. DPTs have rightfully earned their degree, but to advertise a DPT as a "doctor" when the audience is only hearing (allopathic/osteopathic) "physician" is just plain irresponsible and, as I mentioned pages ago, illegal-the ego trip will not be worth it when it will land you in front of a judge.

DPTs must use their titles wisely :prof:

Cheers,

BoneKrusher

As best I recall, there are three "doctors" that are entitled to call themselves physicians: MDs, DOs, and DVMs. I don't have any problem with a DPT referring to himself/herself as "Doctor So and So" as long as he/she doesn't identify himself/herself as a physician. I think most patients understand the difference between a medical degree and a clinical doctorate.

Honestly, I have yet to meet a PT who refers him or herself as a physician to patients, whether where I work at at right now, or the clinics and hospitals I trained at and so on. As far as I know, we have always referred to ourselves as physical therapists. If the patient inquires further, then I proceed to tell them I graduated with a doctorate. And so far, the patients whom have referred to me as their "doctor" know me as their physical therapist, not their physician. They know I can't prescribe medication or diagnose many things. However, they know they can tell me their life story or at least their subjective history in hopes I can shed some light on their situation and make the appropriate course of treatment or referral as necessary. I don't think the general public is as ignorant as it may seem when it comes to who is actually their physician.

As a DPT, I am proud to have worked my butt off to get to where I am now. I have earned the doctor designation and use it appropriately within my scope of practice. Although I am proud to have this degree, I am more concerned with progressing my knowledge through advanced certification...As I have posted before, all physicians are doctors but not all doctors are physicians! I have respect for all aspects of health care and if someone has earned their doctor in so and so, then they are a doctor of so and so. However, unless they have gone through medical school, the right to be called "physician" is reserved for doctors of medicine.

Last edited:
simpsons_doctor.gif

"HEY GUYS!!!"

As a future physical therapist, I would never want anyone to give me the title of Dr...People who do so are being rather pretentious. The title is reserved to MDs, DOs, and PhDs. A degree in pharmacy is also a clinical doctorate (PharmD). I don't see any pharmacists calling themselves "Dr." I know many people in medical school, and they have definitely earned both their salaries and the right to be called a doctor.

Ultimately, it just doesn't matter. Some PTs will call themselves doctors, some won't. All will have the education and training to treat patients within their scope no matter how they prefer to be addressed.

"Whats in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
-Juliet, William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet

:sleep:Everyone has made valid points. We have or will have clinical doctorates. Now please let this thread die a quiet death.

My GOD! NWfuturePT is right!!!!! I insist! I don't get it! LOL It's simple. DPT is a doctor's progam, yes. Of course we are not physicians, nor I have ever met a PT presenting him/erself as a physician. Doctor, maybe in the future when the degree is mo "normal" (now that more schools offer it) Seriously, how many professionals that don't go to Med scholl are Doctors? A LOT! You guys going into Med School congratulations we all know you awill be MD's and that you've worked hard for that! and quit arguing about it because, I'm sorry, but honestly you are starting to sound as if you care more about the title than the profession

Just saying...

I thought this thread was supposed to die a quiet death? Looks like we've received a message post mortem.

Just kidding xMerryx

I couldn't resist...

There is a lot of talk among Physician Assistant administrators who want to make the masters PA program a doctorate program as well. Why?... pretty much because the Nurses Practitioners became a doctorate program. Because they are both considered "midlevels" and perceived in the eye of the public pretty much as the same thing, the PA administrators believe they need to up the beef and implement a doctorate program as well to maintain "credibility" in the public eyes. It is widely believed among practicing PA practitioners that this "Doctor" title would cause more harm than good. So a Doctor of Physician Assistant? Can we confuse the patient anymore? I'm concerned about our priorities in healthcare.

And The thread lives on!:eek:

Wow this thread is embarrassing. For pretty much everyone.

there are only three kinds of medical doctors: MD's, DO's, and DVM's.

sorry i disagree with that. i happen to think DDS/DMD are docs too - specialists of the ORAL CAVITY and HEAD AND NECK REGION.
if u go to any medical specialist, such as a dermatologist, they know all skin conditions from head to toe. ask them about a GI problem and see how much they know about it. chances are, they will flounder. thats because its IMPOSSIBLE for ANYONE to know EVERYTHING about the human body and its pathologies.they may learn it at some point, but there's no way they can treat everything. that's why God created specialties. the body is just too complex a structure.

that being said, i also do not understand why u guys are so pissed off to be called doctors. my mom happens to be a PT, has her own private practice, and is respected by MDs and DOs alike who refer patients to her because they can't do what she does. a urologist does surgery or prescribes meds to treat incontinence. A PT does non-invasive treatment. You have no idea how grateful patients are for you guys - almost everyday my mom gets a patient telling her "you have improved my quality of life, i can do everything i want to do again." be happy that u play such an important role and be proud of yourselves. :thumbup:

I have been viewing this debate for sometime and thought I would chime in. It is an insult in this day and age to patients to think that they do not know the difference between the different doctors/doctorates. I am a patient and I see not much has change in the medical community in regards to how patients are viewed. Which of you carried out the survey or research which shows that patients are confused. It would seem to me it is the people in the medical community who are confused. This is bloody ridiculous!

All of you need to get off your ego trip - whether you are called doctor, PT or whatever! Does not matter one bit. In professions such as yours you all need to be above the petty and aspire to the higher calling of servant-hood. This is the reason there are so many conflicts in the world - one group thinks they are better than the other or one group is entitle to this and another is not. When will we learn?

No one has any legal right over the word Doctor in any setting period! And if anyone has any legal evidence to the contrary present it. It is going to be very interesting to see how they are going to legally stop anyone from calling themselves doctor when they have been conferred with a doctorate degree from an educational institution and not their own profession (no conflict of interest), and when there are so many different doctors around.

I tell you this, there are loads more doctorates to come and I have not a problem with anyone or profession getting them. The more the Merrier - Just goes to show how enlightened our society is (smiles).

This debate is rather embarrassing.

Take care
Enlightened yours Patient

Last edited:
In the interest of killing this thread, I present the APTA stance on use of the title "doctor":

USE OF THE TITLE "DOCTOR" BY PHYSICAL THERAPISTS HOD P06-06-21-14 (Program 32) [Position]

The American Physical Therapy Association supports the use of the title of "Doctor of Physical Therapy" only for those physical therapists who have graduated from a DPT program.

In order to provide accurate information to consumers, physical therapists who have earned a Doctor of Physical Therapy Degree (DPT) and those who have earned other doctoral degrees and use the title "Doctor" in practice settings shall indicate they are physical therapists. Use of the title shall be in accordance with jurisdictional law.

Relationship to Vision 2020: Doctor of Physical Therapy, Professionalism

(Program 19 – Government Affairs, ext 8533)

First, I just want to say that this is a very thought-provoking thread; but I have a little education for you guys. I have read, repeatedly, throughout this thread that "no one has a legal right for the word 'doctor'." That statement is FALSE. Each state has specific guidelines on who can use the title "doctor" and "physician". Try researching this for the state you plan on practicing in...you can GOOGLE it. From my research, most states explicitly point out that MD/DO/DVMs are "physicians" and "doctors", and refer to themeselves as such with no other explanation. Most states also point out that podiatrists, dentists, optometrists, and chiropractors can address themselves as "doctors" but this must be followed by using the qualifiers "podiatric physician", "dental physician", "optometric physician", and "chiropractic physician" to say what they do. Doctors of nursing, PAs, and DPTs are not included in any states that I've seen. Although this is pretty standard, some states do vary; and I'm sure with legislation and time, DNs, PAs, and DPTs will be allowed to introduce themselves as a doctor (legally); as it is a clinical doctorate. But yeah, research the information out for yourselves, to know for sure. I think my work here is done.

P.S. Some students call their professors Dr. So and So, out of respect. A professor would never say, "Hi, I'm a doctor"

I agree; That's the point, we could call anyone (with a doctoral degree) Doctor out of respect, that doesn't mean we are calling that person a medicine doctor. And of course patients are intelligent ehough to know that but of course in a hospital and wearing a lab coat (probably) additional information 9what kind of doctor) should be given.

Sorry about the expression but.... DUH!

I agree; That's the point, we could call anyone (with a doctoral degree) Doctor out of respect, that doesn't mean we are calling that person a medicine doctor. And of course patients are intelligent ehough to know that but of course in a hospital and wearing a lab coat (probably) additional information 9what kind of doctor) should be given.

Sorry about the expression but.... DUH!

...huh? If you're a patient in a hospital and someone in a white coat introduces themself as "Dr. Soandso", you unequivocally think he is a PHYSICIAN. A DOCTOR. A person with a MEDICAL LICENSE.

Hell, I'm a medical student, I'm pretty damn savvy, and I'm not "intelligent enough" to know who the hell is who with all the white coats and "Dr's" and acronyms and inflated degrees and letters after everyone's name, I certainly don't expect 90 y/o Mrs. Collins to be able to differentiate who the hell's got an actual medical license and who doesn't. Sure, it shouldn't matter all that much as long as everyone's doing their job and providing good care, but don't you think she deserves to know? Don't you think she deserves to understand what everyone's role is in her care? And don't you think it's a little selfish for you to expect her to do a double-lux backflip learning everyone's name and read everyone's nametag and remember everyone's level of training just so you can be called "Dr" and wear a white coat, two things that have always identified a person as a physician? Argue and muddy the waters all you want about all the little exceptions and caveats to that universally accepted convention, but don't kid yourself - you're being extremely selfish and you're entitled to nothing that you are trying to claim.

But I know that I'll convince few if any. I know that you've already gained enough ground so that at this point your "progress" is essentially irreversible. I know that it's no longer special to wear a white coat, it no longer denotes doctor. Heck, even "doctor" doesn't denote doctor anymore, thanks to all you ME-TOO Johnny Come-Latelys. I know that I'll be underpaid and overworked and my status in society will only degrade over the course of my career, and I realize that people with a fraction of my training, student debt, and personal investment will directly insult me by claiming they can do my job and wage their crusade. I know all this - and I've accepted it. Just know that I'm on to you, and so are my colleagues. And know that as much as you can fool patients and friends and family with your whole phony "doctor" routine, you'll never have the full respect from ME that you would otherwise deserve if you hadn't compromised your professionalism and my own career with your selfish ambition. Anyone who takes issue with anything I've said can feel free to have the last word on this thread because I'm not coming back because this thread depresses me.

Last edited:
I just read the first few lines of your post but I think you misunderstood mine...
"And of course patients are intelligent ehough to know that, but of course in a hospital and wearing a lab coat (probably) additional information (what kind of doctor) should be given."