Dr collins enough for PCAT chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kies89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just read study guide for gchem and ochem. each has only like 40ish pages.
No mechanisms, just really basic stuffs for ochem.

just wondering, is Dr collins practice tests a good representation of real test?
also, Dr collins enough for chemistry section?

I realized they do not even have many questions for ochem

Members don't see this ad.

I don't remember the PCAT having any mechanisms, and only 25% is organic. They probably don't have many practice questions because they are either very general (is this molecule an alcohol/ketone...) or very specific such as what reagents would you use for this specific oxidation reaction (I.e oxidizing an alcohol but not the carboxyl group). The first example, you should know the basics already. In the second, if you aren't fresh up on reactions, you will waste a bunch of time studying for 2-3 questions. There is probably more "biochem" type stuff than true organic anyway.

I don't remember the PCAT having any mechanisms, and only 25% is organic. They probably don't have many practice questions because they are either very general (is this molecule an alcohol/ketone...) or very specific such as what reagents would you use for this specific oxidation reaction (I.e oxidizing an alcohol but not the carboxyl group). The first example, you should know the basics already. In the second, if you aren't fresh up on reactions, you will waste a bunch of time studying for 2-3 questions. There is probably more "biochem" type stuff than true organic anyway.

Yeah thats what i thought.. very general questions. Thanks !