Dr collins! Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmpay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Dr. Collins package just came in the mail! I'm not sure where to start studying!!!!! My PCAT is in January & I have an Organic Chem class right now. I have 2 months, does anyone have any study strategies when it comes to this dr. Collins package!????

How long did it take to study each section thoroughly!?
Do I have enough time?

Members don't see this ad.

You have more than enough time. If you look at the 99% club thread you can get an idea. I wouldn't start more than 30-40 days in advance.

I concentrated on chemistry and biology. Chemistry seems to be the biggest score differential, so it influences your overall score the most. I did one to two quizzes a day. After I went through all of them I would do two to four quizzes a day. The chemistry packet you can read through in a day or two. I think chemistry is more practice and just figuring it out. Biology I went through a section a day. Biology is just memorizing and repeating, so I read that packet maybe 5 times.

Do not overlook math. You may think you know it and you probably do, but timing is what makes it difficult. Do all the quizzes over and over again and eventually you won't have to think about answers because you will know how to calculate log and other problems instantly. And you will also recognize problems that take longer and can highlight them to come back to.

I would start by taking a practice test of some sort and see where you weaknesses are and start from there.

Don't rely on his RC sections; they are pretty bad. You can use them for very easy practice, but if you want to do well on RC, you'll have better luck using the official practice PCAT tests.

Chemistry is probably the #1 thing you want to invest most of your study time into. Out of all the sections, chemistry has the most scaled points so it can make or break your composite. The Collins chem tests are sufficient prep to get you a good score.

For bio, I felt that it was more of a set of guidelines I had to study for. I basically went off of what I learned in my college classes.

I didn't really do much studying in VA because I didn't feel it would be time-efficient to memorize hundreds of words when only a handful of them would appear, at worst none, on test day.

QA is interesting because it requires you to know how to take a standardized test just as well as knowing the material. There were a lot of "pitfalls" that I could have fell into and waste precious time; you've got less than a minute for each problem so you have virtually no room for extra time. You'll have to work fast and efficiently to do well here.