Dr. Collins Quant. tests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nm1187

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else found it nearly impossible to finish the quantitative exams from the Dr. Collins packet in the alloted 40mins? There are 52 questions, needed to be completed in 40mins!

Am I the only one really having trouble with this, and will the PCAT be this difficult to complete the quant. section on time, similar to Dr. Collins?

OR, am I just THAT bad at math :(?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, there are only 48 questions on the PCAT for each section, but yes, it can be that difficult to finish the quant section if you don't manage your time wisely (ie. get hung up on a question that takes you multiple minutes to figure out). See the "June 19 PCAT" thread for first hand experiences. Personally, I flat out guessed at a few of the quant problems and moved on, and JUST had enough time to finish the section.

Sounds like you just need to practice...it's not that the material is hard, but a light bulb went off - half the "calculations" simply don't need to be performed. It's about understanding the problem and the question being asked.

I actually finished my quant test and had time to go back and review anything I thought was questionable. Probably my strongest test!

Dr. Collins prepared me well. I started out getting only about 33 of the 50 or so right. But the 5th or 6th test, I was only missing one or two and had a few minutes left over.

Don't let the first test or two discourage you. He gives you the "packet" so you can measure improvement.

My situation was similar to the above. I finished well before time was over and was able to check over my circled questions. I guessed on one question, but only out of laziness.

I think the actual PCAT was much easier than Collins. Probably a combination of Kaplan and Collins. This was for the August 2009 PCAT. I would say the best way to prepare would be to do as many quantitative practice sections as possible. You need to stop your brain from thinking, "I need a calculator" as soon as you see a question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else found it nearly impossible to finish the quantitative exams from the Dr. Collins packet in the alloted 40mins? There are 52 questions, needed to be completed in 40mins!

Am I the only one really having trouble with this, and will the PCAT be this difficult to complete the quant. section on time, similar to Dr. Collins?

OR, am I just THAT bad at math :(?

I was in the same boat when I took the PCAT last August. and the actual PCAT was just as bad. I mean, I don't really remember exactly, so I may have gotten a little farther in the actual PCAT than I did in the Collin's practice tests, but I definitely didn't get through the whole thing.

When I was practicing for math, I thought I only had 30 mins to do 52 questions and I found out it was impossible to do lol. I, then, found out on the actual PCAT that it was 40 mins....:laugh: At least I managed to look at every problem on there lol.

I think Dr. Collin's gives you 52 to get you conditioned. (The same reason why most olympic training centers are in high altitudes.) When you go to take the real test 48 won't feel that bad. - Just a thought. I'm, personally, still having a hard time w/48.