DR --> IR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Triple_AAA

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I understand chances at IR residency are slim for most, but what is happening with the DR --> IR route? I heard the training is changing in July adding an extra year of fellowship on to make it about 7 years. What chances do DOs have at grabbing a fellowship after DR?

Members don't see this ad.

chances do DOs have at grabbing a fellowship after DR?
Hard to say.

This year, 13.2% of all integrated, pgy-1 IR was matched to DO's. While 8% of pgy-2 IR were matched to DO's. So in total, around 20% of all collective IR spots, both PGY-1 and PGY-2 were matched to DO's.

About 80% of these spots were collectively matched to graduating USMDs.

About 80% of IR fellowships were matched to USMDs.

In general, it appears its easier for DOs to enter fellowship vs integrated routes for any specialty that does this (CT surgery, plastics, etc).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't the fellowship going by the wayside? I thought they IR was turning into a dedicated standalone residency.

IR fellowships are being phased out slowly but there are about 170 spots left. Competitiveness for fellowships is increasing as a result. By the time you'd apply I'd expect there to be few spots and they'd be insanely competitive.

Training for DR -> IR has always been 7 years. If your program offers an ESIR track then it's 6 years.

Reactions: 1 user