IR/DR chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathoMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
4th year med student at DO school.

step1 = 231
COMLEX 1 = 600
Step 2 = 260
COMLEX 2 = 653

1 publication

Chances for IR?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have a ton of info on this field but I would say you're probably good for DR but IR may be a reach.

There is always DR --> IR or ESIR

Others will comment with some better advice though I'm sure.

Best of luck

Reactions: 1 users
you're a 4th year and asking this? hopefully you have some mentors and were able to get at least one audition in. IR is a small field. your success is less contingent on your scores (the step 2 is great btw), and much more on those connections and your performance on the audition.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
4th year med student at DO school.

step1 = 231
COMLEX 1 = 600
Step 2 = 260
COMLEX 2 = 653

1 publication

Chances for IR?
I think you have a shot, you will need to get some solid IR letters, IR is fairly DO friendly compared to some other hyper-competitive fields, IR cares more about fit rather thus just step scores, although your good on that front TBH, you have some research too, so it will honestly come down to how well you "fit" in, i would obviously dual apply to DR/ESIR and go down that route to an independent IR residency if needed, I have heard its easier to match the independent IR residency after DR/ESIR...

The average DO that matched IR had a step 1 score of 252 and 7 publications/abstracts/presentations. OP is well below the median on that front, and it's october of their 4th year. Unless they find someplace to do an IR rotation and do an utterly outstanding job, their chances of matching an independent IR residency spot aren't good. DR they should be fine.

"DO friendly" doesn't mean "easy to match" and while IR definitely isn't as restrictive as other competitive fields, you still need a relatively kickass application package (Boards+Letters+Research). ⅔ aint Bad, but ⅓ is a problem.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the replies! I’ve already completed an audition. Got two LOR. Currently working on a IR research project. I guess I just wanted more opinions.

Thanks for the replies! I’ve already completed an audition. Got two LOR. Currently working on a IR research project. I guess I just wanted more opinions.

Honestly the best person to appraise your chances of matching is the clerkship director from your audition rotation. Just ask directly given your stats and application package what the likelihood is of you matching IR somewhere and how best to go forward with your application strategy.

Reactions: 1 users
Statistically unlikely. Don’t let that dissuade you. apply both IR and DR and apply very broadly. I have a feeling if you really want IR you will get there one way or another.

The average DO that matched IR had a step 1 score of 252 and 7 publications/abstracts/presentations. OP is well below the median on that front, and it's october of their 4th year. Unless they find someplace to do an IR rotation and do an utterly outstanding job, their chances of matching an independent IR residency spot aren't good. DR they should be fine.

"DO friendly" doesn't mean "easy to match" and while IR definitely isn't as restrictive as other competitive fields, you still need a relatively kickass application package (Boards+Letters+Research). ⅔ aint Bad, but ⅓ is a problem.
I meant the independent IR residency after DR/ESIR residency is more doable. Not the IR residency straight out of Med school.

Apply to both. You might get lucky. But on paper, you’re not competitive for IR.

DR will be fine.