Matched into IR Integrated as a DO... AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eberge3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently matched into IR as a DO. Happy to offer any advice as so many did for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you think being a DO was a disadvantage/was it enough of a disadvantage that you would advise people to wait another year and reapply MD vs taking a DO acceptance?

Do you think being a DO was a disadvantage/was it enough of a disadvantage that you would advise people to wait another year and reapply MD vs taking a DO acceptance?

Not at all. Maybe for top programs being a DO resulted in a disadvantage in terms of where you were on their rank list but for most programs many DO applicants have the potential to be ranked above the MD pool.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!

What procedures in IR are you most excited to be trained in performing?

How many interviews did you receive, and how many is "typical" for IR?

What was it about your application that you believe helped you match?

What was it about your application that you believe helped you match?

Lots of IR projects and SIR involvement to show I am committed to the field. A powerful personal statement, passable board scores, and most importantly connections through mentors.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations!

What procedures in IR are you most excited to be trained in performing?

How many interviews did you receive, and how many is "typical" for IR?

Im excited about all the procedures! From ports, drains, picc's to vascular work (PAD), to UFE/PAD, pain manegment, and cancer treatments. There is a huge variety and I think you can practice in anyway you want. I also would like to do a solid amount of DR as well. Doing both presents a good variety in my day to day work, making a difference in people's lives, solid salary, and vacation days.

How many aways did you do and how did you decide which ones you wanted?