DR/NM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

questionmarker

Reaction score
Hey all,

Hope you're doing well. I'm a current radiology resident (first year). I actually had a recent experience talking with a rad trained NM doc and it piqued my interest.

With the advancement of theranostics, many people say the field is headed toward a more promising future. Wondering if other people could share their experiences. Academics, PP, any setting! I'd love to hear more! Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Hope you're doing well. I'm a current radiology resident (first year). I actually had a recent experience talking with a rad trained NM doc and it piqued my interest.

With the advancement of theranostics, many people say the field is headed toward a more promising future. Wondering if other people could share their experiences. Academics, PP, any setting! I'd love to hear more! Thanks so much.
If you’re a scientist doing bench research it’s very exciting: building new molecules, testing them in the chemistry lab or in animal models, quantifying their physiology with tracer kinetics models, translating them into the clinic through trials, dosimetry calculations, etc. There’s lots of avenues for you to get involved as a NM attending if research is what you want to do.

In terms of actual day to day medicine though, don’t expect an upheaval in how NM is practiced: Medicare reimbursement for PSMA is what’s pending, and once that happens theranostic clinical volume will go up quite a bit, but the volume of NM therapy is very low currently with Lutathera only. So even quintupling in volume will still occupy less than a day of clinical time per week for an academic attending doing 100% NM. There are lots of agents in preclinical trial pipelines, but most won’t make it past Phase 3 and those that do are still years away anyway. Long story short, you’ll see NM change as a field over your career if it’s what you decide to do, but the fact of the matter is most of your day will still be spent reading scans, most of them being the old FDG PET or general Nucs scans like Tc MDP, HIDA, etc.

Community private practice will be even less on the cutting edge, as most all of the theranostic stuff will go to the local academic center unless your community hospital is outfit with a good onc group.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,

People have been talking about the promising future of NM for almost 50 years. The field has evolved a lot but not comparable to the rest of radiology.
As the previous poster mentioned, if you are heavy into research it is a good area with lots of research projects.

For pp, I don't see any evolution in the foreseeable future. The volumes will go up and there will be some new modalities, similar to the rest of radiology.

Reactions: 1 users
I heard from a friend that NM does not like advance DR, you need to do a preliminary separately or before match a NM program? Is that true? Can I apply NM and my prelim together at the same year? Thank you