Dream school (OOS) vs in-state school (less $$$)

Started by Sandie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sandie

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What would you do if you were accepted to your dream school that happened to be out of state and your in-state school that is half the cost of dream school. You don't have any money and no one to help you pay for the costs. Do you take out $200,000+ in loans and scramble for scholarships and part-time jobs to go to dream school or do you settle for in state school and "only" $100,000 debt?
 
What would you do if you were accepted to your dream school that happened to be out of state and your in-state school that is half the cost of dream school. You don't have any money and no one to help you pay for the costs. Do you take out $200,000+ in loans and scramble for scholarships and part-time jobs to go to dream school or do you settle for in state school and "only" $100,000 debt?

If you were accepted to both? For me it would be a no-brainer: take the one that gets you out with half the debt. Contemporary you may be annoyed and all grumpy about "oh I would have LOVED it there and I'm bitter here" but future you would look back and want to take you out and buy you gifts and send you thank you cards and generally love up on you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd take the in-state school, personally. The starting salaries for new vets are not getting higher, and as someone who's already had to pay off some student loan debt, the time to pay back that money comes up faster than you can imagine. It's only four years, and what's more, you may find you enjoy it 🙂
 
What would you do if you were accepted to your dream school that happened to be out of state and your in-state school that is half the cost of dream school. You don't have any money and no one to help you pay for the costs. Do you take out $200,000+ in loans and scramble for scholarships and part-time jobs to go to dream school or do you settle for in state school and "only" $100,000 debt?
Is there anything that makes this OOS better than your IS? Do you think you will be miserable at your IS, or is it just a matter of preference?

Personally, I had this decision last year...... and I chose the cheaper school. And I honestly don't regret one single thing. I didn't think I would like my IS at all.. but I absolutely love it here. (IMO), I also found through talking to several people that regardless of where you go... vet school is vet school. There could be a few classes that are different, and maybe there's a few opportunities that you could have gotten at another school, but in general, you are getting a good education wherever you go, and if you look hard enough, you can find opportunities anywhere.
 
You should go to your in-state. Then maybe you can buy a house or something with the money you saved from not going OOS
 
And this isn't a situation where everyone tells you to go in state and then you feel deep down that the dream school is worth it and you know in your heart that it's right for you, so you decide to attend there anyway.

If you choose the more expensive school, there will be a day at some point in the future where you wish that you had chosen the cheaper school. Like when you are deciding to use income-based repayment for your loans because you can't possibly pay them off any other way... and it will still be difficult with IBR... and you can't afford a house... or a new car...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
eh, I will disagree slightly.

Why is your dream school your dream school?

I can envision a number of reasons that you might be better off emotionally taking on the extra debt, but my guess is that really they are not that different after all, and then the cheaper option is better.

Not all schools are right for all people, so it is not a given, as most here would imply, that the cheaper one is better. All else equal, or all else being not all that different, then definitely go for the cheaper.

Moving and gaining residency is also a good choice (assuming it makes much of a difference ... at some school, IS is still pricey (Penn, UC Davis, etc).
 
If you choose the more expensive school, there will be a day at some point in the future where you wish that you had chosen the cheaper school. Like when you are deciding to use income-based repayment for your loans because you can't possibly pay them off any other way... and it will still be difficult with IBR... and you can't afford a house... or a new car...

Yup. Or right when you're at the end of vet school and you realize "wow, those 4 years flew by fast ... I guess I could have survived just fine at my IS and been at the same point I'm at now except with $100k less that I owe somebody." Unless there is some <really> compelling reason (not: "the facilities are newer", "I like the curriculum a little more", "the location fits my lifestyle more", etc.), you're going to look back and say "dammit... my student loan payment could be less than half of this if I had just sucked it up for four years."

Moving and gaining residency is probably an ok choice, but... it presumes that you'll get in at the location you move to. If you don't, then what? (Or is the idea that you get accepted, defer, and start a year later? Is that a thing?)
 
Yup. Or right when you're at the end of vet school and you realize "wow, those 4 years flew by fast ... I guess I could have survived just fine at my IS and been at the same point I'm at now except with $100k less that I owe somebody." Unless there is some <really> compelling reason (not: "the facilities are newer", "I like the curriculum a little more", "the location fits my lifestyle more", etc.), you're going to look back and say "dammit... my student loan payment could be less than half of this if I had just sucked it up for four years."

Moving and gaining residency is probably an ok choice, but... it presumes that you'll get in at the location you move to. If you don't, then what? (Or is the idea that you get accepted, defer, and start a year later? Is that a thing?)
It is at Penn but I think that's pretty atypical.
 
Absolutely go cheaper. Like everyone else said, cutting your loan payments in half is worth attending a school that you're less than thrilled about.

BUT... you're going to have a love-hate relationship with whatever school you attend. There will be days in vet school that are amazing and days that you think you can't take it anymore, but when you are ten years out of school and look back on it, you'll smile, look back on your vet school days fondly, and feel like your school was just one big, awesome, slightly-dysfunctional family. I really don't think it'll matter which school you go to, because I've never heard anyone actually say that they wish they had attended a different school. (Yes, I realize there may be a handful of people out there who wish they had gone somewhere else, but everyone I've ever spoken with has a lot of pride in their school and feels that their school was right for them). Vet school is what you make of it, there are awesome students and professors at every school, and you can always seek out other opportunities on your breaks if there's something that your school doesn't get into very much.
 
So what is it that makes this a dream school, exactly? A wildlife vet I interned for warned me against applying to expensive OOS schools just because they had wildlife programs, because she noted that all too often vet students who went OOS for those programs couldn't afford to actually go into those fields when they graduated. Not sure if you're in the same boat, since you didn't specify why it was your dream school, but if it is because of a specific program they offer, it's honestly better to go with cheaper tuition and just seek out internships/externships/preceptorships related to your desired field. No point in a dream school if it cuts you off financially from your dream job.
 
Hmm...I see, and after doing the math, it's hard to argue. But what if the dream school is Cornell where there are internship opportunities at Belmont Park and Westminister, the campus is considered one of the most beautiful university campuses, technology is embraced, political views lean to the left, terminal surgeries are not in the core curriculum, PBL teaching style prepares students for collaborating with colleagues and problem solving. The state school is Texas A&M where internships take you to the state penitentiary to work with "non-violent" criminals at the prison farm, College Station is one huge traffic jam- construction zone, profs fear the internets, people are a bit too conservative, terminal surgeries are required, and lecture and cram for the exam is the learning style. Yes, I realize I have made a lot of generalizations with the above statements.
 
It's your life, you can do with it what you want. If you want to spend $100k of money you don't have (and will likely never have) on some external rotation that you could just as easily partake in as an A&M student, PBL because apparently you don't think you're capable of collaborating with colleagues or have thinking skills without it, and what have you, go ahead.

Is that worth not being able to afford a residency, starting a family, buying a house or decent health/auto insurance, or anything else later in life? Only you can decide that. It sounds like you've made up your mind already, so go right on ahead. It's only your future you're jeapardizing, not anyone else's (except maybe a future family you're dragging along).
 
Hmm...I see, and after doing the math, it's hard to argue. But what if the dream school is Cornell where there are internship opportunities at Belmont Park and Westminister, the campus is considered one of the most beautiful university campuses, technology is embraced, political views lean to the left, terminal surgeries are not in the core curriculum, PBL teaching style prepares students for collaborating with colleagues and problem solving. The state school is Texas A&M where internships take you to the state penitentiary to work with "non-violent" criminals at the prison farm, College Station is one huge traffic jam- construction zone, profs fear the internets, people are a bit too conservative, terminal surgeries are required, and lecture and cram for the exam is the learning style. Yes, I realize I have made a lot of generalizations with the above statements.

Internship or externship? There is a big difference. One you do while in school, the other you apply for and do after graduation.

Also, you can get externship rotations away from your chosen school. You can go anywhere. Just because you are at A&M doesn't mean you can't go to New York for a few weeks, or Kentucky, or Tennessee or anywhere else where you might find some really good equine experience.

I am still wondering about these "internships" and your acting as if the only one available to you at Texas is one that takes you to the prison farm... I very highly doubt that. Actually, I looked it up, 4 weeks of externship time available to you in final year. That doesn't include anything that you set up to do during the summers after 1st and 2nd year, which if you put in even the smallest effort (send an email) you will be able to find awesome opportunities.

Really, you can gain experience anywhere during your vet school career, if YOU look for it. Yes, the school might have some specific opportunities available, however the really popular ones are limited and fill up fast. Just because the school offers it, doesn't mean you will get it.

Seems more like you are trying to paint a bleak picture for one school and an amazing picture for another school. I won't even touch on the PBL comments because they are just misguided.


If you are absolutely in extreme emotional, physical and psychological distress going to specific school, then don't go. This is seriously the only reason I would ever tell someone not to attend a specific school where they will save enough money that they could buy a house with it.


Otherwise, if you are going to save $100,000 + interest, suck it up, find opportunities in what you want and go the cheaper route. Future you will give yourself a massive pat on the back and a huge thank you.
 
And this isn't a situation where everyone tells you to go in state and then you feel deep down that the dream school is worth it and you know in your heart that it's right for you, so you decide to attend there anyway.

If you choose the more expensive school, there will be a day at some point in the future where you wish that you had chosen the cheaper school. Like when you are deciding to use income-based repayment for your loans because you can't possibly pay them off any other way... and it will still be difficult with IBR... and you can't afford a house... or a new car...

Someone didn't listen to my post the first time...
 
The state school is Texas A&M where internships take you to the state penitentiary to work with "non-violent" criminals at the prison farm, College Station is one huge traffic jam- construction zone, profs fear the internets, people are a bit too conservative, terminal surgeries are required, and lecture and cram for the exam is the learning style

If this is all you think of when you think of A&M, then you paint a very poor picture of the school. The TDCJ rotation is an optional rotation and I've never heard anything but good things about it, despite it being at a prison. You also get to do a mandatory 2-week rotation at the Houston SPCA where you get tremendous hands-on experience with surgeries and cases with just about every animal since there are few restrictions on what species can be owned in Texas. You can also opt to be an Alternative Track student where you spend up to 6 months doing off-campus rotations during your 4th year. Students have gone abroad and all over the country. As for professors fearing the internet, I can tell you that this is far from the truth. I can't speak for the terminal surgeries, since I'm only a first year and haven't heard anything from the upperclassmen about it.

I mean, like DVMDream mentioned, if it causes you intense mental distress to stay in College Station, then don't stay...I just can't see how being that much more in debt is worth it. :shrug: It's only four years and I can tell you that they go by incredibly quickly (at least this first year has flown by).
 
Last edited:
Oh I know all of you are right, A&M is a great vet school, and as an introvert I would struggle with and at times hate PBL but in the end it would improve my verbal communication/ working with people skills, the NY winters would kill me, but most of all money talks very loud, actually screams. Unfortunately. And I was told the TDJC rotation is a 2 week rotation required for those in large animal med. 1 instructor and students go in groups of 3-5. It's probably a great learning opportunity and the prisoners probably look forward to it.
 
But what if the dream school is Cornell where there are internship opportunities at Belmont Park and Westminister, the campus is considered one of the most beautiful university campuses, technology is embraced, political views lean to the left, terminal surgeries are not in the core curriculum, PBL teaching style prepares students for collaborating with colleagues and problem solving. The state school is Texas A&M where internships take you to the state penitentiary to work with "non-violent" criminals at the prison farm, College Station is one huge traffic jam- construction zone, profs fear the internets, people are a bit too conservative, terminal surgeries are required, and lecture and cram for the exam is the learning style. Yes, I realize I have made a lot of generalizations with the above statements.

Based on your responses, it really sounds like you've already made up your mind. And that's okay if you have. But, if you're actually looking for real feedback, I'll say that the ONLY thing that stands out to me on your list of issues above is the terminal surgeries.

- Externship opportunities are easily available outside of your school. I spent 6 weeks at my state Dept of Public Health and 4 weeks at the CDC, despite the fact that my school didn't offer any such official program. I became friendly with the most public-health-oriented professor at our school and he put me in touch with public health vets who ended up offering externships for one of my summers off - easy as that.
- Beauty of the campus may matter a bit, but ultimately will not be a big issue because you'll be indoors most of the time. It isn't like undergrad, where you get huge chunks of free time to sit outside and read, take long walks, etc. I have fond memories of enjoying my undergrad/DVM campus when I was in undergrad.... no such memories in vet school (despite being at the same campus) because I was either indoors or at home. We had back-to-back classes/labs from 8am-4:30ish pm (except for a 30 minute lunch), so there wasn't time to lay around in the courtyards and read or whatever.
- PBL learning may have its pros and cons, but any sort of vet school is going to involve some sort of collaborative study.
- You will find friends and people with political beliefs similar to yours regardless of which school you attend, even if you're in the minority.

Okay, so that leaves terminal surgeries. I can see how that would potentially be a significant issue, if you're a big-time animal welfare person. (Are you a vegeterian?) So, the real question is this... are you willing to take on an additional $100k in debt, knowing that will place significant limitations on your personal AND career options later in life, just to avoid terminal surgeries? I think everyone thinks "oh, it's no big deal - I just won't live in a fancy house or drive a fancy car." But you need to realize that your loans will also affect your professional life. As an example, when I graduated (almost 10 years ago) - I had a number of different job offers. One job would have paid $70k/yr, but heavily emphasized ear crops as a major part of their business. Another job only offered $45k/yr, but sounded like a much better position with fewer ethical compromises. I was able to afford to take the job that fit my ethics, because I wasn't tied to a huge loan payment.... and I'm glad that was the case. BUT, if terminal surgeries are a huge deal to you, maybe you're okay with making other career compromises later down the road in order to avoid being involved in the euthanasia of a couple of shelter pets during vet school. That's a decision that only you can make, but I would give it some serious consideration. Just realize that an extra $100k in debt isn't just "oh darn, I can't get a sports car or go out to dinner with friends" debt.... it's "I need to sell my soul to the highest-paying job that I can find, regardless of whether it's a decent fit for me" debt.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also, wanted to mention for the terminal surgeries, I'm almost certain they are performed on chickens, rats, and rabbits. Not sure if that makes a difference to you or not.
 
I did a prison trip as part of my vet med education and it was very valuable. The prison farms are usually well taken care of and the prisoners care a lot about the animals. They tended to be eager to learn and do right by them. It was a very positive experience for me and I'm glad it was required.
 
Hmm...I see, and after doing the math, it's hard to argue. But what if the dream school is Cornell where there are internship opportunities at Belmont Park and Westminister, the campus is considered one of the most beautiful university campuses, technology is embraced, political views lean to the left, terminal surgeries are not in the core curriculum, PBL teaching style prepares students for collaborating with colleagues and problem solving. The state school is Texas A&M where internships take you to the state penitentiary to work with "non-violent" criminals at the prison farm, College Station is one huge traffic jam- construction zone, profs fear the internets, people are a bit too conservative, terminal surgeries are required, and lecture and cram for the exam is the learning style. Yes, I realize I have made a lot of generalizations with the above statements.
Have you tried asking TAMU if terminal surgeries are even required? There are a few schools that still perform terminal surgeries, but a lot of the ones that do also offer an "alternative" surgery class for those students who don't wish to do them.
 
I did a prison trip as part of my vet med education and it was very valuable. The prison farms are usually well taken care of and the prisoners care a lot about the animals. They tended to be eager to learn and do right by them. It was a very positive experience for me and I'm glad it was required.
everyone i've known that has spent time at such facilities has said the same things - they enjoyed it immensely and learned a ton! an excellent reason to keep an open mind for sure.
 
I did a prison trip as part of my vet med education and it was very valuable. The prison farms are usually well taken care of and the prisoners care a lot about the animals. They tended to be eager to learn and do right by them. It was a very positive experience for me and I'm glad it was required.

It wasn't required for us, but I went to the prison dairy two times. definitely a positive experience, plus great hands on learning.
 
What would you do if you were accepted to your dream school that happened to be out of state and your in-state school that is half the cost of dream school. You don't have any money and no one to help you pay for the costs. Do you take out $200,000+ in loans and scramble for scholarships and part-time jobs to go to dream school or do you settle for in state school and "only" $100,000 debt?

This happened to me and I chose my in-state. While I was sad to give up my "dream school", I cannot overlook the difference in cost. And in all reality, a DVM is a DVM. I needed to get over my dream school obsession and focus on my future at the in-state school. Am I a little sad? Yes, but I am also looking forward to school in the fall, saving $100k+, and meeting my awesome classmates.

I needed to adjust my attitude and focus on the positives, and now I have a new "dream school". I do NOT feel like I settled.
 
Thanks for all the responses, they have been very helpful.

In regards to terminal surgeries at A&M, I spoke with an administrator and was told they are required, there is no alternative or way to opt out. Only rats will be used next year in required courses. Other species have been used in the past and present. It appears they are moving away from it.
 
I'd offer more advice, but as a non-PBL student I can't collaborate or problem solve.

That probably explains why I give all my ER patients cerenia, famotidine, subq fluids, and send them home once the rads don't scream foreign body. Who needs problem solving, anyway?

So all of your ER patients are vomiting and dehydrated and you assume foreign body? I would also consider Parvo and poison. The most common ER cases I see are hit-by-car and dog fight victim. If fluids are needed, I prefer IV over SQ. Don't forget the miracle shot of penicillian and dexamethasone. And I wouldn't send one home until he/she was eating again.
 
rXDR2kgguKSIg.gif
 
So all of your ER patients are vomiting and dehydrated and you assume foreign body? I would also consider Parvo and poison. The most common ER cases I see are hit-by-car and dog fight victim. If fluids are needed, I prefer IV over SQ. Don't forget the miracle shot of penicillian and dexamethasone. And I wouldn't send one home until he/she was eating again.

<insert biggest eye roll ever>
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In b4 the offended pre-vet post.

Edited to add: Seriously OP, go to the cheaper school unless you absolutely can't handle the terminal surgeries thing. Everything else is minor, really, especially when compared to $100,000 extra debt. A good percentage of the people telling you to go to A&M either are already repaying loans or are about to graduate and are hyperaware of exactly how much the debt sucks and how it impacts your post-school life.
 
Last edited:
So all of your ER patients are vomiting and dehydrated and you assume foreign body? I would also consider Parvo and poison. The most common ER cases I see are hit-by-car and dog fight victim. If fluids are needed, I prefer IV over SQ. Don't forget the miracle shot of penicillian and dexamethasone. And I wouldn't send one home until he/she was eating again.
you recommended empirical steroids. you are no longer allowed to attend vet school. 😉 you just saved $100-200k! money problem solved 😉

it should always be a FB until proven otherwise, because that is an absolute surgical emergency.