This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pasteldegato

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, Im a USA citizen, I'm currently studying in Mexico a Masters in Biochemistry in the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico (UNAM).
What do I need to study an MD in USA? What tests, documents, etc. I face a great lack of information since I dont know anyone who is familiar with the procedures to make your mexico education valid in the US to be considered as pre-med.
I used to be interested in an MD-PhD but i looked up the statistics and realized I´realistically would not make the cut for an MD PhD. An MD-JD also seems attractive but I just read in a forum here that those are not funded :( and debt I fear. So maybe i´ll just fantasize currently with only an MD.
But I would also like to know my chances to get into a California University (whichever since educating myself in California is my dream), or Wisconsin, Michigan...you name it, any descent state University.
I ask this because a great fear drags me down; I recieved my bachelors degree in clinical laboratory from the ****ty Universidad de Tamaulipas, so I drag behind my fellow classmates in biochemistry :(
Hope i explained myself. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

You can go to medical school in Mexico and do a residency in the USA. If you wish to go to medical school in the USA, call the admissions office of several schools and request an information packet concerning personal documents needed and related requirements.

Practice your English speaking and writing skills.

I think most (if not all) US MD schools require you to have done a bachelor's in the US. That being said... you could do your medical education in Mexico then do your residency in the US. (This is hard to do, but possible). Somebody more knowledgeable could correct me if I'm wrong though.
Buena suerte!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you take the prerequisites in the US?
If not, you will need to retake them in an American school, since AMACS does not accept any foreign transcript.
Most medical schools do not require you to have a bachelor's degree from the US (or Canada). I think only Mayo, Hofstra and a few others do.

To be admitted to a US medical school you need to have earned about 3 years worth of academic credit in the US or Canada. I have seen some international students do that through a PhD in the US but that assumes that you can get admission to a PhD program. Some PhD programs are fully funded so that is a plus in terms of keeping debt low.
It is difficult but not impossible to attend medical school in Mexico and do a residency and be licensed in the US. You do have an advantage in that you are a US citizen (so bringing you in as a resident is streamlined as no visa is necessary), you may be of an ethnic group that is under-represented in medicine in the US (are you of Mexican heritage?) , and I have to presume you are fluent in Spanish which is a big plus in many areas of the US.

First thing you should make sure you are familiar with the pre-requisites.

If you google for AAMC and medical school requirements they will have a lot of info on it.

Generally speaking, you need:

1 year of chemistry, 1 year of biology, 1 year of organic chemistry, 1 semester of biochemistry, 1 year of physics and all of their associated laboratory classes minus the lab for biochemistry.

You also need an MCAT score which is the only standardized exam required for admissions into medical school.

If you have not completed all of your pre-read, a post bacc or SMP program at a medical school may be the best option for you since it would let you finish all of the pre-reqs and give you a good network to build the rest of your app which should contain experience in a clinical setting, volunteering, and some research. You might already have research as an MS so that's good.

Personal and biased advice: if you do plan to come here, try to do your post bacc, SMP or PhD (whatever is best for you depending on the situation and your career goals) then try to gain residency in a state with a lot of medical schools to help increase your chances. Given your fluency in Spanish and familiarity with Mexican culture, Texas is a really great option and so is Florida.

As for doing medical school in Mexico and then coming to the US, that could also be an option but I would talk to medical professionals who have made that transition in the past about what the process is like and how realistic of a plan it is to begin with if the end goal is to live in the US.

Reactions: 1 user