cyang55

2+ Year Member
May 16, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Hey guys, I saw a few threads on this topic but they were fairly old. Does anyone know what women should wear for med school interviews? I don't want to seem bland or too fashionista.

As of right now I'm thinking about wearing a grey stripped suit like this one :https://www.pinterest.com/pin/307792955757962089/

With a turquoise colored shirt like this : http://www.polyvore.com/turquoise_satin_ruffle_shirt/thing?id=9289303 Without ruffles.

and black shoes like these: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/500603314799768325/

Is this too bold? Should I wear a white blouse instead?

Thanks in advance!

Also, what are you guys wearing to these med school interviews?

ortnakas

DO PGY-2
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A suit with heels is standard; I'd say you're on the right track. A pop of color in the blouse is just fine (as long as your suit is conservative).

@Winged Scapula has a brilliant women's clothing interview advice thread over on the pre-allo board; check it out.

Edit: fixed a typo

Reactions: Winged Scapula

Stephanopolous

5+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2013
Upstate, NY
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
That suit, and those shoes are perfect in my opinion. I was trying for a gray suit like that but the only one that I could find was a little too tight and it just didn't look professional.

OP
C

cyang55

2+ Year Member
May 16, 2015
Status
Medical Student
That suit, and those shoes are perfect in my opinion. I was trying for a gray suit like that but the only one that I could find was a little too tight and it just didn't look professional.
I thought it was good for the suit to be fitted and look like it was tailored o_O
Are you going to wear a colorful blouse?

OP
C

cyang55

2+ Year Member
May 16, 2015
Status
Medical Student
A suit with heels is standard; I'd say you're on the right track. A pop of color in the blouse is just fine (as long as your suit is conservative).

@Winged Scapula has a brilliant women's clothing interview advice thread over on the pre-allo board; check it out.

Edit: fixed a typo
The suit is pretty fitted and I got it from Banana Republic a couple of years ago. I wasn't sure if the colorful blouse would make it too fancy. lol I definitely want to make a good impression, but I don't want my clothes to make it for me.

Thanks for the advice! I'll go check that thread out!

Stephanopolous

5+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2013
Upstate, NY
Status
I thought it was good for the suit to be fitted and look like it was tailored o_O
Are you going to wear a colorful blouse?
Fitted or tailored is good but this was tight to the point where it was accentuating my curves a little too much. I ended up buying a black suit with a clay colored button up shirt and I went and had the suit tailored. it was comfortable and had a nice pop of color.

premed_mommy

2+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2015
Alabama
Status
Medical Student
I wore something somewhat similar and got accepted :). Make sure your heels are conservative and comfortable and you wear hose.

Feb 23, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone know if a bright colored bag would be fine? The rest of my outfit is conservative, but I wanted to know if it would be alright to be a little bit individualistic with a mint green bag.

premed_mommy

2+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2015
Alabama
Status
Medical Student
I brought a hot pink Dooney and Bourke satchel because I realized the night before that that is all I had brought with me. I was a little self conscious about it all day, but I'm 90% sure no one cared a wink and I was accepted. You most likely won't take your bag in for the actual interview anyway.

Reactions: daloonylin

Mcatastrophic

2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2015
Status
The outfit looks good- I would reconsider the shoes however. I wore heels for mine but I decided to go for wedge style heels. I was fortunate to find a really nice pair of Nike air heels at the department store. They look classy and are very comfortable. Since all the interviews I've gone to so far have had a considerable about of walking, if you do decide to stick with heels such as the ones you linked I would either bring a spare pair of flats or make sure you have them well broken in.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
hose is optional! Accepted without it :)
You were accepted in spite of your lack of hose.

Even though I don't wear hose in the office myself, they are appropriate and expected for a professional business interview.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
Is a "merlot" colored dress from Halston (a little below the knee) and black jacket and black heels ok?
A non-matched suit is considered less formal and professional. You will find those who were accepted wearing such attire, but in general the accepted industry standard is a matched shirt/trouser and jacket - same color, same fabric, same style.

Reactions: gyngyn

CaffeinatedForLife

2+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2015
Status
I was excessively clueless about anything related to fashion prior to this interview season, so I employed the services of a personal shopper at Nordstroms. I explained over the phone that I needed a "classic, timeless business suit in black or charcoal suitable for a medical school interview" along with my size and price range. We made an appointment, and in 1.5 hours, I had a suit, blouse, shoes and accessories picked out, and the suit in the hands of their in-house seamstress (I subsequently just purchased the suit/blouse, and found shoes and accessories on my own for a lot less). For me, it was worth paying the full Nordstroms mark-up on their clothes because it spared me hours of frustration at shopping malls and--I might have mentioned this--I seriously needed the help. The personal shopper works on commission, so her service didn't cost me anything extra, and the tailoring fee was actually quite reasonable. I now have a fabulous suit that makes me feel like a million bucks and which will last forever.

ortnakas

DO PGY-2
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was excessively clueless about anything related to fashion prior to this interview season, so I employed the services of a personal shopper at Nordstroms. I explained over the phone that I needed a "classic, timeless business suit in black or charcoal suitable for a medical school interview" along with my size and price range. We made an appointment, and in 1.5 hours, I had a suit, blouse, shoes and accessories picked out, and the suit in the hands of their in-house seamstress (I subsequently just purchased the suit/blouse, and found shoes and accessories on my own for a lot less). For me, it was worth paying the full Nordstroms mark-up on their clothes because it spared me hours of frustration at shopping malls and--I might have mentioned this--I seriously needed the help. The personal shopper works on commission, so her service didn't cost me anything extra, and the tailoring fee was actually quite reasonable. I now have a fabulous suit that makes me feel like a million bucks and which will last forever.
I had no idea this was a service Nordstrom offered-- and I already thought that it's a magical place. I'll have to keep that in mind for residency interviews and/or future formal occasions.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
I had no idea this was a service Nordstrom offered-- and I already thought that it's a magical place. I'll have to keep that in mind for residency interviews and/or future formal occasions.
Most of the larger department stores have such services; there are also independent personal shoppers who will do it as well. The hardest part is getting them to understand what you're looking for.

jennyybennyy

2+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
My only issue is that the shoes are starting to crease as I'm breaking them in...will that be an issue? I haven't got my suit back from the tailor so I'm not sure if the creasing will be covered.

My other option for shoes so far are 3 in. INC pumps with a more rounded toe vs. the Nine West which were at 2.25 in. with a shinier finish.

Black INC pumps
http://m.macys.com/shop/product/inc...mps-only-at-macys?ID=1850644&CategoryID=55745