Dress Code in Pharm school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LegaLDeaLer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a certain way we have to dress in class and labs or do people just wear jeans and tshirts?

Members don't see this ad.

LegaLDeaLer said:
Is there a certain way we have to dress in class and labs or do people just wear jeans and tshirts?
We had a dress code in lab. Shirt, tie, labcoat, etc. Some dressing up for presentations is expected, a lab coat is required for pharmaceutics lab and micro lab... For the most part, we all wear shorts, sandals and t-shirts. Most patient-contact rotations require the full deal (shirt/tie/labcoat/slacks/leather shoes..) YMMV

Members don't see this ad :)
why the heck do we have to wear nice cloth during lab? i remember good ol' organic lab days when i went there with pazama's and sneakers, so if chemicals get to my cloth i wouldn't cry over it. i dont understand the point of wearing nice cloth when it will be possibly ruined by chemcials we work with. well i haven't been to pharmacy school lab yet but correct me and share some insight if you disagree or i am wrong.

kwakster928 said:
why the heck do we have to wear nice cloth during lab? i remember good ol' organic lab days when i went there with pazama's and sneakers, so if chemicals get to my cloth i wouldn't cry over it. i dont understand the point of wearing nice cloth when it will be possibly ruined by chemcials we work with. well i haven't been to pharmacy school lab yet but correct me and share some insight if you disagree or i am wrong.

That's why we have to wear a lab coat. :)

no no i know we wear lab coat for that reason but why tie shirt and all sorts of extra stuff? what's wrong w/ lab coat over T-shirt and pazama?

kwakster928 said:
no no i know we wear lab coat for that reason but why tie shirt and all sorts of extra stuff? what's wrong w/ lab coat over T-shirt and pazama?

Your professor would likely reply, "You have to wear professional dress, because you attend professional school."

It's just one of those things that no student likes to do, but there's no way getting around it.

now it makes lil sense.. anyway so what's the pharmacy school labs like what do we do etc? similar to organic lab? JD, South, LV any comments?

kwakster928 said:
now it makes lil sense.. anyway so what's the pharmacy school labs like what do we do etc? similar to organic lab? JD, South, LV any comments?
It's like organic lab, but it's more fun and you can usually eat stuff (c-h-o-c-o-l-a-t-e from lozenges).

Edit: Don't eat stuff in micro lab. ...or anatomy.

kwakster928 said:
JD, South, LV any comments?

There are quite a few other pharmacy students to ask questions to besides those three forum dominators. :smuggrin:

AmandaRxs said:
There are quite a few other pharmacy students to ask questions to besides those three forum dominators. :smuggrin:
That's Mr Dominator sir to you. :p

BEWARE I WILL SOON DOMINATE THIS FORUM AS WELL!! MU HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 291
jdpharmd? said:
It's like organic lab, but it's more fun and you can usually eat stuff (c-h-o-c-o-l-a-t-e from lozenges).

You'll always have the kids in lab that will eat anything for attention (i.e. suppositories). :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
AmandaRxs said:
You'll always have the kids in lab that will eat anything for attention (i.e. suppositories). :scared:
"Unwrap, THEN insert... rectally this time." :laugh:

jdpharmd? said:

I LOVE organic chemistry lab :)

Don't know about eating stuff from there though

:thumbup: You tell 'em where to stick it, JD! And don't forget to give them lubricant samples. :eek:

Anyhoo at my school in anatomy lab you wear a lab coat and whatever grubby clothes you want underneath. In clinical practice labs you have to wear professional dress plus a coat. I have a grubby coat and a professional coat since I don't want to carry around cadaver cooties. One of my friends did not understand the concept of professional dress before labs. She had no idea what made a t-shirt or tank top different than a blouse.

Students on this board if I had it my way. I think pharmacy students should be dressed professionally at ALL times during class and lab. Professionally can mean either shirt and tie or scrubs. This is how it is at Nova Southeastern, and they just look so much classier because of it. Don't forget, as a pharmacist, you need to portray an image. You will not be wearing some ratty looking t-shirt from the 1980's in a compounding facility if you want to attract customers. Same for all pharmacy fields. Like I said though, thats my opinion and I know people will disagree with me on it!

AmandaRxs said:
True...but JD, LV, and myself can be referred to as the Three Wise Men :)

bananaface said:
I think a dress code is not a bad idea. I keep telling my friend she needs to quit wearing skanky tank tops to class without a bra. One day, I had to tell her to go home and change before her job interview!

Um...I'm hiring. In case, like, you know someone who needs a job. :D

MNnaloxone said:
Um...I'm hiring. In case, like, you know someone who needs a job. :D

Does your fiancee know you're hiring? :laugh:

I am inclined to wear more casual clothing due to the comfort factor. Maybe limit it to khakis or something, but dressing up regularly certainly does not appeal to me. I find it hard to concentrate on studying when I am uncomfortable, and since I commute 30 miles and do whatever studying I do at school that would be a huge inconvenience for me. I would hope that I know the difference in a work setting between wearing a pair of shorts or slacks and a tiie. I will be happy to wear nice clothing when I am getting paid to do so, otherwise after forking over a few thousand a year I think I should get to wear whatever I want within reason.

Hey South? I think her A/C's on the fritz again...

bananaface said:
I nominate FutureRxGal for official Pharm.D. forum dominatrix.

I TOTALLY overlooked this, until a certain forum dominator who shall remain nameless oh-so-politely pointed this out. heh ;)

I wonder what the neighbors'll think of me now? :rolleyes: :laugh: