Dress Code

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guest11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know when you have clinic days you must dress professionally because you're seeing patients, but on days when you just have lectures and labs, do you still have to wear professional attire? Maybe I have the wrong idea, but going to lab in a suit seems ridiculous. I thought I read somewhere that at SCCO you're not allowed to wear t-shirts to class? Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

well first of all... no one wears a suit to see patients.. that is pretty impractical. i think it depends on the school you go to.. ie i think nova you have to wear scrubs to class... at scco there is a dress code... but it is not that strictly enforced while you are only in class and not in the clinic. basically no hats, no shorts under any circumstances. there isnt supposed to be flipflops but everyone wears them... you just cant wear them in front of certain teachers, in lab, or if you have to go talk to the administration... you can wear t-shirts but not tank tops but sometimes people do... its basically just you are supposed to dress a little nicer because you are in grad school and our clinic is on our campus and they dont want patients seeing kids that look like they are still in high school walking around... thats the main point behind the dress code....

No ripped jeans at SCO, but, again, it's not strictly enforced.

Members don't see this ad :)
could somebody post about the dress code at UHCO?

I think at IU you could pretty much show up in your underwear if you wanted to. About the only thing that was ever regulated was hats. There was one professor who hated hats. If you went there, you probably know who I'm referring to. You know, the hat-hating short guy with all the cats.

I know when you have clinic days you must dress professionally because you're seeing patients, but on days when you just have lectures and labs, do you still have to wear professional attire? Maybe I have the wrong idea, but going to lab in a suit seems ridiculous. I thought I read somewhere that at SCCO you're not allowed to wear t-shirts to class? Is this true?

I have the little booklet they sent me from scco. If someone wants it, i can scan and post up the dress code as its given in their handbook tomorrow. I hate the idea of having to wear a shirt and slacks every day, but i guess i may have to. I'll just see what everyone else is wearing and what is acceptable.

I have the little booklet they sent me from scco. If someone wants it, i can scan and post up the dress code as its given in their handbook tomorrow. I hate the idea of having to wear a shirt and slacks every day, but i guess i may have to. I'll just see what everyone else is wearing and what is acceptable.

Shoulda gone to Berkeley.

I went to orientation today and was basically told that jeans and polo shirts are fine, as long as the jeans don't have holes or are ripped. Seems a lot more relaxed out of clinic than i first thought. In clinic is pretty stringent though.

could somebody post about the dress code at UHCO?

UHCO is pretty relaxed. When you're in lecture or lab you can pretty much wear whatever you want. (jeans,t-shirt, flip flops, etc)

But, you CANNOT go downstairs into the clinic unless you are in full professional attire.

When I interviewed at SCCO a few years ago the dress code was full time professional dress even in lecture/lab. But, they might have changed that since I interviewed.