dress codes???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waiting

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just reading some stuff on the U. of Maryland web page and ran across this policy on dress codes at the school....it said things like students need to be in professional-looking attire (slacks, dress shirts), no t-shirts w/logos allowed, no baseball caps inside classrooms, etc......are they JOKING???!! if not, this is the most ridiculous bull**** I've ever read.....sure, I understand looking professional when you're dealing w/patients or in clinics, but not being allowed to roll out of bed and show up to class in jeans and a t-shirt? In med school we were allowed to wear whatever the hell we wanted in class so long as we weren't naked....Does anyone know anything about this dress code thing?? Is it actually enforced and do other schools have a similar policy? :mad: :confused: :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about Maryland, but I heard the same thing about UIC (Illinois-Chicago). Students have to wear khaki's (no jeans) and a nice shirt OR they can wear scrubs. It gets students into a routine of being professional I guess.

UofL has a dress code, too - Collared shirts (polo, button-up), khakis/slacks. No tennis shoes unless you are wearing scrubs. No jeans, t-shirts, etc. Oh yeah - you also have to wear nametags.

No dress code at the medical school, though.

wow....so I guess dress codes are prevalent at many dental schools.....again, I honestly don't see why it's neccess., especially during the first two years when you'll basically just be in classes all day. If you have clinic then you'll definitely change into more appropriate attire, but otherwise it just sounds a little snobbish/ridiculous.....I understand the notion of trying to convey a "professional" image, but then why is it that only dental schools seem to be this way? I've never heard of law, buisness, or medical students having such standards.....oh well, if that's what it takes i guess i'll just have to bear it.....