1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

dress codes???

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by waiting, Aug 28, 2001.

1. waiting

waiting Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was just reading some stuff on the U. of Maryland web page and ran across this policy on dress codes at the school....it said things like students need to be in professional-looking attire (slacks, dress shirts), no t-shirts w/logos allowed, no baseball caps inside classrooms, etc......are they JOKING???!! if not, this is the most ridiculous bull**** I've ever read.....sure, I understand looking professional when you're dealing w/patients or in clinics, but not being allowed to roll out of bed and show up to class in jeans and a t-shirt? In med school we were allowed to wear whatever the hell we wanted in class so long as we weren't naked....Does anyone know anything about this dress code thing?? Is it actually enforced and do other schools have a similar policy? :mad: :confused: :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. juice_cruz

juice_cruz Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm not sure about Maryland, but I heard the same thing about UIC (Illinois-Chicago). Students have to wear khaki's (no jeans) and a nice shirt OR they can wear scrubs. It gets students into a routine of being professional I guess.

3. eschou01

eschou01 Member
    7+ Year Member

UofL has a dress code, too - Collared shirts (polo, button-up), khakis/slacks. No tennis shoes unless you are wearing scrubs. No jeans, t-shirts, etc. Oh yeah - you also have to wear nametags.

No dress code at the medical school, though.

4. waiting

waiting Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

wow....so I guess dress codes are prevalent at many dental schools.....again, I honestly don't see why it's neccess., especially during the first two years when you'll basically just be in classes all day. If you have clinic then you'll definitely change into more appropriate attire, but otherwise it just sounds a little snobbish/ridiculous.....I understand the notion of trying to convey a "professional" image, but then why is it that only dental schools seem to be this way? I've never heard of law, buisness, or medical students having such standards.....oh well, if that's what it takes i guess i'll just have to bear it.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...