Dress Codes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AuburnPreVet

AU CVM Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if any of ya'll know what the dress codes are at various schools? It seems at AU there is a strictly enforced "professional attire" policy even in pre-clinical years (with the exception of anatomy labs etc)...meaning slacks/ties etc for the guys. Is this the norm at most vet schools? I actually don't mind it (at least not yet...)

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at Auburn and the way I understood was that Auburn and Mississippi State were the only 2 vet schools in US that have a dress code.

Just curious, what's the point of a dress code in pre-clinical years?

Members don't see this ad :)
well after working at Tufts for almost 4 years, I can assure you there is absolutely NO dress code... some of the outfits I have seen are pretty interesting :) However, that does all change come 4th year rotations (well at least those rotations when you deal with clients)

Honestly, I haven't got a clue. At my interview I was asked how I felt about it, and I said that it helps foster a professional environment & that it seems when people are dressed professionally they are more likely to act accordingly...blah blah...

But, I really don't have a clue what good it does? I'm sure they have a reason tho. I just didn't realize it wasn't the norm - I guess that's why they asked about it.

That wouldn't work for me, because it would mean that I couldn't roll out of bed and go to class. Maybe that's the point, though...to make everyone get it together before school starts haha.

oh man if i went to auburn me and my holey sweatshirt would totally get kicked out. glad i didn't apply there :)

purdue students show up in pajamas.

I initially thought the dress code at Mississippi would bother me if I went there, but now I think I kinda like it. When I interviewed at another school (which shall remain nameless...) there were students bumming around in pajamas. (This was on the major interview day no less!) Not that I'm a fan of dressing up myself, but I just felt like I was still in high school. The dress code at MS is self-imposed, and the students choose to keep it. We must remember that at some point in our lives, we do want people to take us seriously! :laugh:

was it purdue?? was it?? heh heh heh

I was just talking to a vet yesterday who went to Mississippi and she was asking me if CSU had a dress code. I was thinking how unpleasant that would make my mornings (esp since I was planning on biking to class when the weather's nice :)) Apparently they told her that if they were to become professionals they should start dressing like it now. Judging by how many times I get peed/crapped/barfed/bled/horse sneezed on, I don't plan on wearing nice suits a lot once I start practicing.:D

So except for Auburn and Miss, you can where gym clothes to class?

At Colorado State University Students in their pre-clinical years (i.e. 1st and 2nd year students) can where whatever they want. In the Junior and Senior years there is a hospital dress code. Usually slacks and blouses for girls and buttondown shirts and ties for guys. The dress code does depend on which department the student is rotating through (i.e. some departments have stricter dress codes than others). Equine and other large animal rotations are allowed to wear jeans. If a student doesn't feel like wearing nice clothes to school for clinics, each department has a policy for wearing scrubs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope my old scrubs will come in handy someday!

(I.E., "someday" meaning, when I'm a poor starving vet school student who won't be able to afford buying new ones!)

:laugh:

:eek:

not that anyone else applied there...but tuskegee has a dress code 2 days a week

Does anyone know if TN has a dress code because when I went for the interview most of the students were dressed in khakis and such but I think it was just because we were there and they were giving tours.

AuburnPreVet--I said the same thing in my interview that you did, but privately I was thinking it was kind of a buzz kill. I'm a jeans person.

I initially thought the dress code at Mississippi would bother me if I went there, but now I think I kinda like it. When I interviewed at another school (which shall remain nameless...) there were students bumming around in pajamas. (This was on the major interview day no less!) Not that I'm a fan of dressing up myself, but I just felt like I was still in high school. The dress code at MS is self-imposed, and the students choose to keep it. We must remember that at some point in our lives, we do want people to take us seriously! :laugh:

I agree, at first I was like, "dress code WHAT?:eek: " After talking with the students about how they self-enforce the rule in order to foster a professional atmosphere, it made a little sense, although I am still nervous about it because all I ever wear is jeans and tshirts. You just have to look nice, not necessarily a suit, in fact khakis and a nice blouse or button-up seems to be the norm, although guys are required to wear a tie, which is a bit much, while girls seem to have a lot more leeway. You have to wear that to class, but you change (I think into scrubs) for labs, which are always in the afternoon. They said that the professional dress earns more respect from faculty and members of the vet hospital as well as from visitors. At the very least, it will help with the wake-up call I've heard some people talk about when they graduate and have to start practicing medicine in nice clothes for a change :rolleyes:

Don't most schools require you to start dressing nice for clinical rotations??

I guess it's like my best friend always tells me (over and over again), "dress for the position you WANT to have, not the position you currently have."

PS- I raided the Banana Republic sale last week for my new 'professional' attire for class and got loads of stuff for cheap cheap... just thought I'd share the info :D

"AuburnPreVet--I said the same thing in my interview that you did, but privately I was thinking it was kind of a buzz kill. I'm a jeans person."

You know you can't wait to get all dressed up to sit in a lecture hall with the same 90 people day in & day out. haha.:sleep:

Getting any closer to making a decision?
WAR EAGLE! (I'm just a little biased):laugh:

Iowa State had a dress code the last time I checked, and I THINK Mizzou said in their handbook that they have one, but when I was there it didn't look like it's enforced. Mizzou's was more like, "no tank tops, no flip-flops", etc; not necessarily super-professional dress. But still -- I think dress codes are dumb. If we're adults, then treat us like adults and let us pick out our own darn clothes. And if all I'm doing is sitting in lecture halls all day, I don't feel like I need to be all dressed up. Jeans, a tank top, and flip-flops is fine by me; I concentrate better when I'm comfortable. Of course for clinics or anywhere else you have client contact, dress professionally; that goes without saying.

Anyone know how relaxed Penn is?

I agree that there should be dress codes for clinicals since you're interacting with clients, but the rest of the time? I don't think pj's should be allowed, but we should still be comfortable! I am def. all about the jeans and fleece...feel kinda prissy when I have to get dressed up. :oops:

I've also heard the "dress for the job you want to have, not the one you currently have", but I'm not going to be treating cows wearing khakis and a blouse! Hello....that's what barn overalls are for and no ones going to care what kinda clothes you have on underneath!! :laugh:

Anyone know how relaxed Penn is?

very, I think. Even in the small animal emergency, the vets are wearing scrubs and coats, sweaters, shirts, whatever. I see students wandering around and they certainly don't look like there's a dress code - or at least, not a strict one.

Don't most schools require you to start dressing nice for clinical rotations??

Yes. Some of this is for safety, for example no open toed shoes. Some is because you are interacting with clients. It depends also on the rotation, small animal vs. large animal vs. necropsy for example, as well as the service chief. For instance, I know some service chiefs who will make students take off certain jewelry (nose rings, numerous earrings, etc.), put on a tie, etc. while you are on their service.