Dress code in Veterinary School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShibaMom

KSU c/o 2017
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the questions I asked our tour guide at Kansas State is if there was a dress code for vet students, or if they were at least expected to dress a certain way. She said that during the first few weeks of class most people try to dress business casual, but after that first month everyone shifts to jeans and nice tops.

I have a business background and do not find it difficult to dress business casual, but for those incoming vet students whose backgrounds include coming straight from undergrad what advice would you, as current vet students, give?

The primary reason I asked the tour guide this question is because I had read on the Texas A&M CVM website that students are expected to dress like the professionals they will become one day.

I take it that pajamas, yoga pants and four day-old jeans are frowned upon :laugh:

And if there has already been a thread on this, would someone please link or bump? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I wore yoga pants and a long sleeved T shirt yesterday and didn't feel out of place. it's actually pretty common here, depending on the day. today I'm in jeans and an old college t-shirt. different departments of the teaching hospital have dress codes but for the most part anything goes in classrooms as long as its not too revealing. that said there are also plenty of people who find the time to look decent and do their hair and makeup nicely every single day.

Florida and Auburn both have actual dress codes that are required to follow. Business casual. At FL, they are a little lenient in the classroom but if you get near the hospital you better be representing yourself well. We still have a few people that look like absolute slobs, but the the most part people look nice.
My advice would just be to dress business casual and if you start standing out like a sore thumb, either 1) don't give a crap and wear what you want anyway or 2) tone it down to a dark jean and nicer top.
I've found that dressing better makes me take class a little more seriously for some reason.
No matter where you go you will have your extremes. We have one guy who looks like he was picked up off the street 5 minutes ago and one girl who looks like she's about to walk down the catwalk. Everyday.
Just represent yourself and your school in a respectful way. I find I can sometimes do that with jeans and a tshirt :D

This is coming from a t shirt, jeans, and boots kind of gal who hates dressing up. ;) But I'm also from a business casual background and see the value in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am one who does not own any nice looking clothing besides what I had to buy for my interviews. One of my friends who interviewed at Auburn last year told me they have a dress code and I am just floored. I am seriously eve considering cancelling my interview there just due to that reason. When I called Auburn they said that they have more of a Business dress code (not even business casual). I'd have to buy an entire new wardrobe just to wear to class... I am most comfortable in a pair of jeans and any of my nerd shirts.

If I don't have to be on clinical rotations that day, I will usually wear jeans and a t-shirt. My maternity clothes are a little dressier than t-shirts so since I have been pregnant, it's been more of jeans and a top. If I am on rotations, I wear whatever is required of that rotation.

I am one who does not own any nice looking clothing besides what I had to buy for my interviews. One of my friends who interviewed at Auburn last year told me they have a dress code and I am just floored. I am seriously eve considering cancelling my interview there just due to that reason. When I called Auburn they said that they have more of a Business dress code (not even business casual). I'd have to buy an entire new wardrobe just to wear to class... I am most comfortable in a pair of jeans and any of my nerd shirts.

You are going to have to get a new wardrobe for your clinical years for most schools. Certain rotations require professional dress. Suck it up and join the real world.

Here at Mizzou, it is in our student-made-student-enforced dress code that we can't wear things with the logo of another school, nor can we wear hats in class, and flip-flops are technically not allowed either. Some classmates of mine were wearing low-cut tops and pants, so we started being a bit more particular about following the dress code. People could probably still get away with yoga pants and flip-flops, and maybe an undergrad logo here and there, but most people by now wear plain or dressier tops with jeans or slacks. Quite a few people dress in business casual, and one classmate of mine started off the first year wearing a suit (now he wears more normal things :p)

When we are on clinics we have dress codes, every other time people where anything from scrubs and Pjs to "nice" jeans and tops to class.

Ohh good thread! I was actually wondering this myself. What do you guys think about students with tattoos or weird hair in class? Surely there has to be some other tattooed vet students out there?

I have both arms tattooed that can easily be covered up with long sleeve shirts, and a funky hairstyle that I can turn "normal" just by parting it a different way - so it is easy enough to hide during the appropriate moments (at work, clinicals, presentations, etc). But I would prefer to not have to hide it when I am sitting in a classroom just taking notes or working on a group project, etc. What do other students with unique looks do?

If you come to the UK, you certainly won't have a problem:)

We have everything from blue and green hair, to full tattoos, and odd piercings. People pretty much wear whatever they want until clinics in final year. Usually a boots, jeans, and sweater or hoodie kind of girl, but some girls come in skirts every day.

Scrubs for surgery, uni scrub top over business casual for small animal hospital, and the rest of the time in your boiler suit :)

Boiler suit. Hawt! :)

Sent from my PH44100 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
You are going to have to get a new wardrobe for your clinical years for most schools. Certain rotations require professional dress. Suck it up and join the real world.

I am fully aware of that for clinicals. I just don't see the need to be dressy for daily classes.

While I don't think it's always necessary to dress up, I think people should have a few dressy outfits anyways. It is professional school and I do think you need to look like that too for certain occasions.

My friends in school tell me that they have a lot of special speakers and doctors who aren't professors come in to their classes to lecture, so you will probably want to dress nice those days as well. It's not a big deal... We are going to be doctors one day, we won't be wearing pajamas in our future practices, I dont think there's anything wrong with starting to dress well now.

As I understand it, every school requires business casual at the very least once you start getting into clinical rotations. You have to look professional around the clients. So unless you plan on skipping vet school entirely because of your wardrobe, canceling your interview is not a good choice.

Every vet I've known has always dressed in business casual or better during work hours. Might as well get used to it now.

Last edited:
I think Auburn and Mississippi are the only schools with actual dress codes for class. At Penn, we can wear whatever to class but have a dress co0de for when where out at New Bolton And obviously for clinics. I'm typically in jeans and a shirt of some sort. Sometimes its nicer and other times its just a tshirt. If I just pulled an all nighter I might be in sweatpants.

Every vet I've known has always dressed in business casual or better during work hours. Might as well get used to it now.

Really? Every vet I have ever worked with has worn scrubs.

I can't speak for other schools but here at Auburn, we are expected to dress professional at all times. The guys are usually in a shirt and tie and girls range from slacks and a nice top or sweater to dresses. It's really not as bad as it sounds and you do get used to having to dress nicer quickly. As much as it can be a pain when you are tired and stressed, it does portray a professional image onto the school and it makes the transition once you get to clinics a little easier.

Small animal vet you mean? I grew up with vets in khakis and polos...or jeans and hawaiian t-shirts :p

I think Auburn and Mississippi are the only schools

"You know you're living in the deep south when.....":rolleyes:

The vets that I've known mostly either stick to scrubs or wear a pair of nice jeans with a polo shirt. They definitely don't wear t-shirts to work though.

Here at Mizzou, it is in our student-made-student-enforced dress code that we can't wear things with the logo of another school, nor can we wear hats in class, and flip-flops are technically not allowed either. Some classmates of mine were wearing low-cut tops and pants, so we started being a bit more particular about following the dress code. People could probably still get away with yoga pants and flip-flops, and maybe an undergrad logo here and there, but most people by now wear plain or dressier tops with jeans or slacks. Quite a few people dress in business casual, and one classmate of mine started off the first year wearing a suit (now he wears more normal things :p)

This makes me really happy. Ill gladly wear nothing but Mizzou stuff lol I can totally do nice jeans and a nice top every day :D :D

Small animal vet you mean? I grew up with vets in khakis and polos...or jeans and hawaiian t-shirts :p

Yes, I guess mostly small animal now that I think about it. The large animal vets that I've seen have usually been on the farm in coveralls, so they could be naked underneath that for all I know. :laugh:

Though on the rare occasions when I run into the large animal vet at the clinic where I take my cats and dog, he's usually in khakis and a button down shirt.

Edit: I should also probably clarify that I've always been told that khakis and a good shirt count as "business casual".

I think Auburn and Mississippi are the only schools with actual dress codes for class. At Penn, we can wear whatever to class but have a dress co0de for when where out at New Bolton And obviously for clinics. I'm typically in jeans and a shirt of some sort. Sometimes its nicer and other times its just a tshirt. If I just pulled an all nighter I might be in sweatpants.

Florida started a dress code last year. It's professional school. We have to wear badges saying we're vet students so we should represent ourselves as such in my opinion. They aren't insanely strict as long as you look presentable.

Florida started a dress code last year. It's professional school. We have to wear badges saying we're vet students so we should represent ourselves as such in my opinion. They aren't insanely strict as long as you look presentable.

Did not know that. We're supposed to wear our ID tags too...mine's usually in my bag because it likes to fall off and then I lose it and it's $25 to replace.

Maybe it's because I'm a little older, but I have no problem with a dress code at a professional school (aside from being irritated that someone is telling me how to dress... of course that's probably because I've been in the military for so long). In my first two years of undergrad in CA, there were students that I felt embarrassed for due to their clothing choice for the day that consisted of 4-day old jeans, old rock band t-shirt, and flip-flops. If you want your classmates/professors to perceive (keyword) you as a young or old, immature, lazy individual by merely looking at your clothes, then I can only imagine the perception of a vet school student in sweatpants and a t-shirt.

Now I'm not unrealistic to realize there will be those days where you feel like death or pulled an all nighter, but as a general rule... You're paying a school a LOT of money to be a professional, a doctor, and presumably your dream... so act like you care and show a little class. :cool:

I wear jeans, Tshirt and a hoodie every day. When we get to clinics I will absolutely dress presentably, but while I'm chillin' in an uncomfortable chair for hours on end staring at a powerpoint, I don't really see the need. Fancier clothes also frequently require a bit more effort to wash/dry and I have to go to a laundromat where I don't have the money to separate things out by necessary cycle/temp/color.

I'd say most of the people in our class make an effort to be put together, although I wouldn't say business casual. Mostly nice tops with jeans. I really admire people who have the sense of style, wardrobe and time to make themselves look so nice every day, it's just not for me at this point in my life.

Now I'm not unrealistic to realize there will be those days where you feel like death or pulled an all nighter, but as a general rule... You're paying a school a LOT of money to be a professional, a doctor, and presumably your dream... so act like you care and show a little class. :cool:

Respectfully, because I think you make your point well, I find this to be a poor argument.

Dressing like a professional is appropriate when you're acting in a professional capacity ... which I absolutely am not doing when I'm sitting in a lecture hall.

I mean, if you're going to make the argument that you're learning to be a doctor and therefore you should dress like one even when you aren't actually one or even performing the tasks of one ........ well heck, why does it only apply to sitting in school? Shouldn't you dress that way at home, then? I mean, you want to be "professional," right? No sitting around in your jammies!

It's just silly. I'll dress in a way I feel is appropriately professional when I am performing the duties of a doctor. When I'm sitting on my ass getting lectured at I'm going to dress to maximize my comfort so I can focus on the lecture.

There are some exceptions that make sense to me. Our dental school requires students to wear neat (as in tidy and clean, not 'cool') scrubs every day. But they're in a fairly public building with a lot of client traffic where students are highly visible. Over here in vet school, our classrooms are separate from the hospital (though the buildings are connected) and most students aren't over in the hospital in full public view every day. I think you have to moderate your policies based on considerations like that.

Vet school life is hard enough. No need to put onerous, pointless restrictions on students.

I am a "little older" too, as is LIS, and I agree with him. In a large lecture hall where few instructors know more than a handful of students, your dress does not matter unless it is offensive. Students are students...whether MBAs, med, vet pHd, I have never seen dress matter in a classroom. In a job environment or clinics when dealing with clients especially ....that is a different story.

I am a "little older" too, as is LIS, and I agree with him. In a large lecture hall where few instructors know more than a handful of students, your dress does not matter unless it is offensive. Students are students...whether MBAs, med, vet pHd, I have never seen dress matter in a classroom. In a job environment or clinics when dealing with clients especially ....that is a different story.

Agreed.

In clinics where you are interacting with clients? Sure.

Sitting on your butt being lectured to in class? I see no reason to be uncomfortable. Now this doesn't mean dressing in tube tops and stuff like that, but nothing is wrong with jeans and t-shirts to me.

When I went to VMRCVM there was no dress code besides a warning against things that show too much cleavage, etc. Dunno if it is still the same. I see many of the students here at A&M dressing more professionally, but that's likely because of the requirement.

Maybe it's because I'm a little older, but I have no problem with a dress code at a professional school (aside from being irritated that someone is telling me how to dress... of course that's probably because I've been in the military for so long). In my first two years of undergrad in CA, there were students that I felt embarrassed for due to their clothing choice for the day that consisted of 4-day old jeans, old rock band t-shirt, and flip-flops. If you want your classmates/professors to perceive (keyword) you as a young or old, immature, lazy individual by merely looking at your clothes, then I can only imagine the perception of a vet school student in sweatpants and a t-shirt.

I dressed in jeans and sweatshirts all through my first three years at vet school (with the exception of special speaker days), and I wouldn't care a whit if you "felt embarrassed for me" :laugh: Your professors too - they aren't your bosses or employers - you are paying them to teach you. Earn respect by your performance. Hell, I often wear jeans and sweatshirts as a resident now, unless I'm giving a talk or on the floor. If anyone dared to suggest I was "immature" or "lazy", I would simply laugh and point out that due to my performance I'm in one of the top programs in the nation. And I'm not saying that to brag, I'm saying it to make a point. I "acted like I cared" and "showed class" through my work. That will gain you MUCH more respect than any clothing choice.

Now, I'm not saying to show up covered in filth, but there is nothing wrong with casual clothing in a school (keyword) environment. The first three years of vet school are a school environment. Not a professional environment, and miles away from the real world. Leave that for clinics.

I don't care what my first-semester anatomy prof, as much as I may respect them, thinks about my clothing choices. I care about what my clients or employers think. Professional school does not equal professional career.

Just my 4-day-old-jeans-and-rock-band-t-shirt-wearing opinion.

Capirinha - I also have some visible tattoos and dyed my hair several, ahem, "unique" colors during school. I only bothered to hide them during clinics, just in case I was working with a particularly conservative client.

Last edited:
I wear boots, jeans, and hoodie to class... that is, when I go. I like being comfortable when having to sit through endless lectures all day long. We have dress code rules for being with the horses and for on the farm with the cattle and sheep... I wouldn't want to wear anything else out there anyway. And they are always talking to us about how to look professional for clinics... they do NOT expect us to dress up fancy for classes, but they do expect that you are being somewhat conservative. When clinics roll around or when I am on my EMS, yes I will dress professionally... but when I have to get my ass out the door no later than 7:30AM to go sit in lectures all day... I am not waking up earlier to make sure I look professional enough... I am a student at the moment not a vet, when I am playing the role of a professional... I will look like a professional.

All the vets I have ever worked with or seen have been in jeans/khakis and a polo or tshirt and bibs when needed. These are mixed animal(with 80%food animal) practices in a rural area so it must be different. I mostly wear a hoodie and jeans now but if I had to I would dress up to the code. If the vets where I worked wore business clothes I think that they would have to buy new stuff every day for how dirty they get working with the farm animals.They get along with the farmers well because they are dressed down and not all "fancy".

I'm another one in t-shirts and jeans and hoodies. I can do dressy, or business, or business casual when I need to do, and I will when I get to clinics. But I'm in a lecture theatre all day, or in a lab, or doing club things, etc. I want to be comfortable. Some of my classmates dress quite nice, but you don't get the sense they're doing it to be professional, that's just their style. Nerdy t-shirts, jeans and converse are mine. Not all of our professors are super dressy either. Sure some of them are in business dress, but my favourite path professor is usually in cargo pants and a hoodie. Doesn't change the fact that he's brilliant.

I usually wear jeans and a t-shirt. Though I've got classmates that wear yoga pants. We don't have a dress code and it doesn't bother me. We are usually sitting in uncomfortable, freezing classrooms all day long. I'd rather layer my causal clothes then try to figure out to stay warm while looking nice. Also with some of the wooden desk tops we have, they can snag nice clothes.

Interesting to see I struck a small nerve with a few on here over this topic. As I said, I'm not a full-time student and won't be until I return home from this deployment; however, perhaps I'll change my mind and jump on the relaxed clothes bandwagon. Everyone seemed to mention that there is a time and a place for the over dressy (agreed) and by no means would I suggest someone where a 3-piece to class - that's not necessary and suggesting it would be ludicrous. Perhaps you can blame it on my lack of an on-campus academic environment outside of my previous life, so we'll see what happens when I get to the campus starting this fall.

The wife always tells me I missed a part of life by not going to college as most people do - I chose a more direct route to what I wanted because I despised the idea of more school. Ironically enough it was a detour...

And hey, maybe I'll be in my "Sunday jeans" and t-shirt with the rest of you by September... or I'll never receive an interview or acceptance and will never need to worry about it after the BS is finished :laugh:

Really? Every vet I have ever worked with has worn scrubs.

Most of the vets I've worked with wear scrubs as well. At one clinic all 3 veterinarians wore business casual and I thought it was awkward. The vet I work with now wears mostly scrubs, occasionally slacks and a polo. I don't have a problem with following a schools dress code or anything, but I think once I get into practice I'll be wearing scrubs most of the time. That may change though. I've never felt that a vet wearing scrubs presents them in a less professional light. When I talk to a veterinarian I'm not looking at their clothes. I already know they are professional so what they wear does not affect that (in my mind, anyway).

I actually like dressing up, though. I would probably do it more often if I didn't have to walk in cold weather, sludge through snow, and work at a cafe where everything just gets grungy.

I've only skimmed through this thread so someone may have mentioned what I am about to say. I attend Auburn and we have a dress code in place that was enacted by the students. At first I thought it was going to be a pain, but after about a month of dressing nice every day, you get used to it. Moreover, you learn to like it. Everyone looks great and it is an excellent representation of our college. We get a lot of compliments from visitors about how professional the students look. It makes you feel good.

It is in my opinion that undergrad was our chance to dress however we wanted. I feel like vet school is "big boy/girl" school and it is the time to act/dress like it.

And to the person above (Rainheart I think) that said they thought about cancelling their interview to Auburn because of the dress code. Give me a break. If you are going to cancel your chance at attending a great vet school with brand new facilities in the work, please, by all means, cancel your interview so someone that is willing to abide by a simple dress code can have your spot.

Also, you can dress however you please when you are out on your own, 4 years of dressing nice never hurt anyone. Right?

I wear boots, jeans, and hoodie to class... that is, when I go.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I practically live in 4 sets of PJ's that I rotate around. I just pop on my jeans and some shirt to go out to take an exam or a mandatory lecture or grocery shop for a few hours. I wear it for so little time that I don't even wash it for a while. It just goes in my worn but clean pile of clothes only to be fished out the next time I need to leave my apt.

Clinical labs and stuff I go decked out in whatever they require me to.

Ohio State doesn't have a dress code either :D. I HATE dressing up with a passion. I have major issues with textures of clothes (can't wear a sweater or jeans and socks are a major issue as well) and am very happy that I can wear my sandals, athletic pants, and a t-shirt to school each day. Vet school is bad enough, I don't need to be uncomfortable while I sit through class. I have never really understood the principle behind getting dressed up to show that you are professional or worthy of a job. A person's character goes way beyond what they wear. I couldn't tell you what my vet wears other than a lab coat and really don't think it should matter anyways. Sure, some things are not OK, like shorts that are way to short, T-shirts that don't cover your stomach, low cut tops, and offensive things on your shirt, etc., but other than that I vote wear what you want. If I were hiring someone or choosing someone for admittance to vet school, as long as they followed those basic principles, what they wore would have absolutely no impact on my decision.

Dress code would have a serious impact on my decision as to what vet school I'd go to. If Ohio State had a dress code and Wisconsin did not, I'd be at Wisconsin right now. That might sound like a stupid reason to choose a school to most, but for me it is a serious consideration. In practice, I will be wearing scrubs with a lab coat and that I believe is the dress code 4th year as well, at least for small animal rotation it is.

Good ole' Pacific Northwest. Half the faculty wear cargo pants and fleece vests and I'm sure they consider that 'business casual'. One of our professors wears shorts and a t-shirt 365 days a year. And he walks to work in the snow.

I personally consider high heals adequate snow gear as the heels are like ice picks.. Right?? To each their own :D

Are everyone's academic halls in close proximity to the hospitals? I think that's a large reason we have a dress code, because the only way to get food or coffee is to walk through the hospital. Otherwise yeah, no one cares inside a lecture hall.

Are everyone's academic halls in close proximity to the hospitals? I think that's a large reason we have a dress code, because the only way to get food or coffee is to walk through the hospital. Otherwise yeah, no one cares inside a lecture hall.

Separate buildings for us. Have to walk across a couple parking lots to get to the LA side, and through the LA side to get to SA. Our classroom building is restricted access as well, so random people can't just wander in. Someone in our class had an electric blanket with them today - spotted it at the back of the classroom when I walked in for an elective :laugh: Other people bring blankets, personal space heaters, etc- whatever it takes to make us comfy for a couple of hours :)

Oh, and we have no food. Or coffee. Unless you count crappy vending machines. Sometimes I wish we had food options, but I would probably gain a lot more weight if that was the case.

All of the vet buildings are connected by sky bridges and we have our own coffee shop with food options as well. You could feasible never leave the walls of our vet school. And the hospital is connected by a sky bridge that requires badge access to get into so it's definitely not as if we are accidentally wandering through client visits.

Welcome to private Catholic schools. I definitely find it much easier to dress in sweats in classrooms during undergraduate, after having gone to a high school where if the socks (which you needed to wear the ones you were given) weren't folded the right way, you would get a detention...

Welcome to private Catholic schools. I definitely find it much easier to dress in sweats in classrooms during undergraduate, after having gone to a high school where if the socks (which you needed to wear the ones you were given) weren't folded the right way, you would get a detention...

YES! :laugh:
And everything had to be tucked in just so, and couldn't be wrinkled, hair had to be neat and couldn't be wet, makeup had to be subtle if any, no pins/jewelry, couldn't even wear shorts under the stupid skirts.

I'm pretty sure I lived in sweatpants for an entire year after I graduated from high school. And my hair was bleached/streaked for a while and I got my ears pierced so I could wear big hoop earrings. And I burnt all my knee-socks.

Separate buildings for us, but they still use that as a reason for us to consider dressing business casual... "If someone mistakenly brings their animal to the academic building and not the VMTH, you need to look presentable." I haven't ever come across someone mistakenly bringing their animal to our building...

Same here. I'm another Catholic (high)school survivor. We had to kneel down every so often so the nuns could measure the distance from our skirt hems to the floor. Anything more than two inches and you were given detention.

However, I did find it amusing that the boys could not have hair past their collar, yet I could get away with having super short hair dyed bright red and tons of black eyeliner. :laugh: Ok, Ok, the eyeliner got me in trouble sometimes. But they technically couldn't tell me to grow my hair back out or dye it my natural color, bwahaha.