drexel ims

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surag

kobayashi
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently applying to Drexel IMS 2009. I was wondering what the success rates were for the 08-09 students. I recently heard that very few students were accepted to medical school after the IMS program-something like three. Please inform me as to what kind of students got into medical school.

My information:

2.76 GPA
37S MCAT

Members don't see this ad.

any1 please help.

I'm in the IMS program and while I didn't qualify for the guaranteed interview (B or better in all classes, 27 MCAT), a number of my friends did. In total, I believe around 30 people (out of an initial class of ~130) earned an interview. Results from those interviews came out recently, and I have only heard of 3 people being accepted. Granted, almost everyone else was waitlisted and I'm sure there will be some movement on that side of things but this isn't a slam dunk program like EVMS Med Masters.

Members don't see this ad :)
that sounds depressing.

so what you're saying is that even with a 4.0 GPA at drexel and my 37 MCAT I wouldn't be guaranteed an acceptance?

Do many of top students get into other programs?

ALso I heard that 50 students or so once got accepted to the medical school and it caused issues. Is this a reason why so few got accepted?

Also, last year 12 got accepted, why so few this year?

Also, I hear that the top 5 students are announced, why wouldn't the top 5 get in? That sounds disingenuous on the school's part to notify students as top five and then not accept them.

I mean that has to be super depressing to study so hard and get like a 4.0 and not get accepted!

Hi, anyone else?

In addition, the top 5 students were selected based only on the number of points they got right (added up) from every assessment in every class. This does not take into account things such as clinical experience, MCAT score, etc.

Yea, I knew as much from a friend who is currently enrolled in the drexel program. however, I was hoping for some more information about the top five students such as MCAT and undergrad GPA. My friend only knows so much.

Thanks.

This thread is supposed to relate to information regarding placement and success rates in medical school matriculation through the IMS program. Please refrain from asking about housing and other information that is not relevant to the OP

Relax Surag - just cos its your thread doesn't mean you can monopolize the contents. It's a free message board after all

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious as to see how long does it take from the time your application is complete to possible interview ?
I've been complete for a while and have not heard anything back yet.

A classmate in the program hadn't heard anything back and had been complete for ~2 months, so he called. Turns out he was accepted.

There's sure to be lots of movement (I was admitted about three weeks prior to classes starting) but if you're curious, go ahead and give the office a call. The folks that work there are pretty nice.

They interview you for IMS???

No, I'm just asking when do people usually hear back after their application is complete. I've been complete for a month and did not hear anything back at all.

I'm fairly certain it's standard practice to receive an interview after your application is complete and someone has considered it to be 'competitive'. That being said, the interview is straight-forward: questions about what your interest in medicine (or dentistry) is, why Drexel's IMS program and what your biggest challenge has been.

It's good practice for the interviews you will (hopefully) be invited to attend but I wouldn't stress about it too much.

did anyone mention to you that it's a phone interview? cuz that would relieve a lot of stress for some people. my phone interview wasn't bad at all- just a casual conversation. good luck guju!

My class had only 5 or so outright acceptances to Drexel, and a few outstanding students were taken off waitlist (3.8/30 in one instance). It was actually quite shocking to me. However, I believe they advertise 60% of students go on to either MD/DO school somewhere.

Since my class is now graduating med school I can comment on an aspect of the program that should not be overlooked. From day 1 you are taking the exact same classes and competing against the med students at Drexel. I highly encourage students to take post-baccs that emulate this model (RFU, Loyola, and BU off the top of my head). This experience prepared me for what it takes to succeed in med school. Nothing I saw first year med school was new material. I had the confidence that I could handle the material and ace the tests... and I rode that confidence until the very end of med school.
The friends that I've kept in touch with from the program are going to HIGHLY competitive residency programs, in part due to how this program prepares you for the rigors of medical school.

If you're looking for a guarantee, this is far from that. I didn't qualify for the automatic interview, but when all was said and done I matched at my #1 choice in a very competitive specialty and location. Getting in to med school is nice, but it is not the culmination of your hard work...it's just beginning.

I mean that has to be super depressing to study so hard and get like a 4.0 and not get accepted!

The reality behind something like that situation is more a personality defect or an issue of application balance. I have never heard of a case of a 4.0er graduate of an SMP getting rejected unless they had terrible MCAT scores or some serious personality issues.

Be friendly, be proactive, get good grades, and make sure you get some good health care experience. These things get you into medical school.

thanks that makes me feel better.

Hopefully my MCATs aren't considered-terrible and would make up for my poor GPA if I do really well on the program...should I get in.

Surag

well if i do a two year program i'll do the masters program at marshall U-where i can get teaching stipends and have an almost guarantee (70% of graduates from the program with over a B average get into it) into marshall U if I do well and since I'm instate it would certainly be cheaper.

The BU program is expensive and doesnt seem to have the same success rate as other programs of similar cost.

Also, if Drexel can accept me because of success at their program then I'm more than willing to try it out when its only a 1 year program. I just want to know how likely it would be with a 3.8+ in the IMS with my MCAT and undergrad GPA.

20 to 30? THATS A LOT.

Whereas it seems drexel may have taken only 8 or 9 and thats with people coming off waitlists.

Well, as I said before, I don't think BU is worth the 2 years cost for an admissions rate that is comparable to cheaper programs.

I also think its important to consider the pool of students at these programs. Cincy probably has fairly good students because of the few students it accepts. Likewise Gtown seems to accept a higher caliber of students than say drexel does. As such it would have a higher acceptance rate.

Drexel too claims 80% acceptance within two years(and thats only with one year coursework) . Also, drexel takes a wider group of students who aren't necessarily cutout to do well in the program or even in med school in the first place. So with so many students coming in and a less rigorous cutoff I would suspect that there would be fewer students being admitted to even its own program.

I am considering this program as well. I have a low undergrad GPA as well (2.86) and already a thesis-based M.S. in Microbio (3.5) If I do well in the SMP do you think I will still get screened out by my undergrad gpa?

Kristy, I had a similar undergrad GPA. Have you offset that with a good MCAT or are you looking to raise that as well? You might want to look at the MSP program which is designed to boost GPA and help you with the MCAT. The IMS classes do not affect your undergraduate GPA as they are considered 'grad-level' classes. Plus it's pretty hard to get enough A's to influence your GPA anyway even if they did count.

In either case many allopathic schools will screen you out based on GPA cutoff, that's just how admissions works. If you can get into a linked program like Drexel and do very well, then you can apply to your state schools or enter into the linkage. that's your best bet.

Kristy, I had a similar undergrad GPA. Have you offset that with a good MCAT or are you looking to raise that as well? You might want to look at the MSP program which is designed to boost GPA and help you with the MCAT. The IMS classes do not affect your undergraduate GPA as they are considered 'grad-level' classes. Plus it's pretty hard to get enough A's to influence your GPA anyway even if they did count.

In either case many allopathic schools will screen you out based on GPA cutoff, that's just how admissions works. If you can get into a linked program like Drexel and do very well, then you can apply to your state schools or enter into the linkage. that's your best bet.

right now I have only taken the GRE..I plan to take the MCAT this year and apply to some programs at the end of the year. I guess I will see then how my MCAT is. Maybe I should take some undergrad classes too?

Kristy,

That depends on how ur practice MCAT's have been going. If you feel like you could get that 30+, based on your practice exams, I would not even bother taking extra undergrad classes. Its a risk, but its your choice.

Also, if you have a lot of credits from undergrad, you'll need to take a good amount of undergrad classes to really make a change on you GPA.

Hope that helps.

Hey everyone. I am going to create a more official Drexel IMS 2009-2010 thread, with information, web links, and also a facebook group.

It will be titled:
Drexel Interdepartmental Medical Science (IMS) Program 2009-2010

Please join! Thank you!!

Hey I just completed my IMS and my MMS year...because the ims year did not help me to get into medical school at all.

I spent 2 of the hardest years of my life, working my ass off to get a great GPA in IMS. Out of the top 5 students in my class (who are pretty much geniuses for getting above a 3.8) only 2 got into Drexel med after the first year. Most of the people either dropped out of the program or had to continue with the second year (where u take 1 class and do bull**** research and pay $17,000 for nothing). The first year (IMS) is actually a great way to learn a lot of information, but a horrible way to get into medical school.

Last edited:
Wow. My perception of the Drexel IMS program just went from mediocre at best to worthless. That sucks considering I have a phone interview coming up.

how come you didn't do Gtown SMP with those stats? or another program? Just curious.

I heard from Tyrokinase and the10101 or whatever their SDN names are similar sorta reviews that very few get into the med school from IMS vs. at other schools.

I think the website is very misleading to because they don't tell the other caveats you need for their so called automatic interview.

I did not get into Gtown SMP, i guess 3.1 GPA from Gtown undergrad wasnt good enough even with the hardest major you can take...biochem

Thanks for the heads up, Deep.

Although disappointed to hear negative news from someone who has completed the IMS program, I would still try to keep things positive for me and fellow students who are choosing to go to enroll for the Drexel IMS program for the 2009-2010 school year.

In retrospect, it sounds as though pre-meds going through the IMS program are still in a realm of "survival of the fittest." Whether or not Drexel is going to assist you or not, I guess it is still up to the individual to make the best out of the situation, and improve his or her application to enroll at a medical school!

Facebook Group: Here is the link to the Drexel Interdepartmental Medical Science (IMS) Program for the 2009-2010 school year:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=189470625033

I just wrote a long reply to this thread but somehow it didn't get posted...shame. I'll try to write most of it again...

Here's a little counterweight to all the negative that's been said about the IMS program. First of all, the program does exactly what it advertises, it provides you with one year of course work to help you be more attractive to medical school. Too many people come to this program thinking that it grants them a first-class ticket into med school upon completion, it doesn't. If you come to the program as a mediocre applicant (which most people applying to it are), and expect one year of courses to get you into med school then you are delusional. Furthermore, and this is something I noticed about most of the people who didn't get in during my IMS year, they just weren't great applicants...grades aside, you gotta remember that med schools look at the whole package. Unless you have things like SUBSTANTIVE volunteer or medical work (read: NOT just 30 hours in an ER), ACTUALLY GOOD reccomendations (read: not just from a prof who's class you got an A in but dont know well), do a GOOD job preparing your AMCAS in terms of the admissions essay, and also on any secondary essays, being an interesting applicant in general, ect...you're not gonna get in...I noticed this trend with lots of people in IMS who had top grades (3.7+) out of the program, who didn't get in. Again, it's not JUST about grades (you've been hearing that forever). That said, 1 year of IMS isn't gonna make up for a college career spent dicking around...so unless you're coming to the program from college with a serious upward trend, don't count on that 2.9 looking great after one 3.8 IMS year.

The program works as advertised, but too many people try to use it as a "hail-marry" pass to get into medschool when they had little if any chance of getting in regardless of grades (although grades may have also been lacking). Take a cold, hard, and objective look at your ENTIRE application, and ask yourself if what you really need is just one more year of good grades ONLY. Unless that's the case, dont expect IMS to get you in anywhere (including Drexel)

But to be fair, there is truth to some of what others have been saying. The program is hard and you don't get a lot of help, the administration is nearly worthless, and a little ass-kissing can only help you. However, none of the problems with the program will keep you out of med school.

For what it's worth, I did one year of IMS and i've just finished up my first or second year (don't want to give up who I am) at a U.S. MD school. Just don't like seeing people dump on the program so much and discourage others from what may be an excellent opportunity for them.

How would you kow other people's personal situations i.e. how good or bad their essays, letters, ECs, etc. are when people don't go around saying look at me and my whole amcas especially those who are not people with 3.8+, 30+ people already. So you can't make that general assumption that they aren't getting in due to lack of other stuff that is good. I'm not saying that there may be issues with the rest of their package or that 1 year doesn't make for 4 bad years. The reason I'm trying to do an SMP after doing a one year MS is for this very reason. But how do you know what another applicant's profile on the whole looks like? Don't over generalize unless you've literally seen their whole application.

Well actually people do talk. Obviously I haven't looked over everyone's AMCAS but you hear people talking (or bragging) about what they've done, why they think they didn't get into med school already, why they think they are such a lock for med school already but didn't get in b/c of whatever reason they give, etc...after spending a year with these people you do generally come to know who's who. Especially in the beginning of the school year, people talked about themselves a lot. And to add to this, you've gotta face the reality of WHY, OH WHY, would someone who got a 3.8+ in the IMS program not get into drexel...why would the VERY TOP STUDENTS from the program not get in...??? That's when you know there must be other stuff going on besides grades, while kids who got a 3.5 were getting in.

But while I'm back here, one thing another poster said about how only 8-9 people out of 125 got in to med school somewhere...that's not entirely true. Not all 125 applied, I forget how many did exactly, but it could have been as few as half applying during the IMS year (and for the record, only about 30 people each year make the cut off for even being considered by Drexel by getting at least a B in all courses)...so to those considering doing IMS, you should know it's not a total crap shoot as 8/125 accepted might sound, especially when you realize all you have to do to get an interview from Drexel is get at least a B in all courses, something only 30 people on average can do...and in my opinion, doing this isn't really THAT hard...remember, this is a program for people who had a hard time in college, not that they're stupid or anything, but a lot of people realize that med school just isn't for them b/c of the level of work involved...if you're smart and motivated you will be among those 30...don't listen too much to people who try to blame their not acheiving this b/c of the mean Dr. Soslau or poor administration or whatever, I've been there, only you limit how well you do in this program.

Last edited:
Also what is the point of going to a program where you are not even allowed to contact the professors. I know that they can't let you sit in class with the med students due to lack of space but that is pretty bad when you are not allowed to contact the professors. if the excuse is that there are too many students, well then that says to me that there shouldn't be that many students and the university is just using this as a money maker rather then wanting to do any good by the students at all.

You are allowed to contact professors, the person who said you are not sounds like they are exaggerating the negative...this isn't opinion, it's fact, you can email profs. at the med school if you have questions (I did it from time to time with questions). As a matter of fact, profs. for some of the courses actually came from the med school over to the IMS building to teach and hold review sessions (not all of them, but some). As I recall, what you're not allowed to do is use any of the med school facilities, or go to lecture and sit in the same lecture hall as the med students...and MAYBE, you MAY have not been allowed to show up at a profs. office at the med school to ask questions in person...maybe.

I declined my acceptance today. Good luck to you all! :luck:

I have an interview I think for the Drexel program. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a deposit that has to be paid to save a seat in the class? I am applying to a couple of programs and I want to wait for the results before I make a commitment to this one.

I have an interview I think for the Drexel program. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a deposit that has to be paid to save a seat in the class? I am applying to a couple of programs and I want to wait for the results before I make a commitment to this one.

The deposit amount is $500.

I submitted my $500 deposit on the first day of orientation. I was also accepted quite late so it may vary by acceptance date. I would recommend asking your telephone interviewer or contacting Laura Mangano with questions.

How would you kow other people's personal situations i.e. how good or bad their essays, letters, ECs, etc. are when people don't go around saying look at me and my whole amcas especially those who are not people with 3.8+, 30+ people already. So you can't make that general assumption that they aren't getting in due to lack of other stuff that is good. I'm not saying that there may be issues with the rest of their package or that 1 year doesn't make for 4 bad years. The reason I'm trying to do an SMP after doing a one year MS is for this very reason. But how do you know what another applicant's profile on the whole looks like? Don't over generalize unless you've literally seen their whole application.

not true, i've worked in the admissions office and i know other people who work there still, we see the entire amcas for everyone who applies to ims. so i know that people aren't getting in due to other weaknesses in their application- i've literally seen it.

i'll also put myself out there as another counterweight against sandeep- i too did ims last year and finished mms this year to get the masters, and was accepted to drexel med. ims struggled this year but i don't think the program is to blame. i'd be glad to expand on anything regarding ims/mms/drexel/med school in general. good luck to all!

whoops sorry i just realized i was like 2 weeks late replying to that message. but still if anybody has questions regarding ims/mms/msp/mbs/dpms/etc feel free to ask

Hi Guys! I JUST got done with my phone interview with Drexel IMS. They essentially ask you about your application. Seemed like they want to make sure that you weren't lying in the application.

The questions were:
1. Why do you want to be a physician?

2. What sets you apart from the crowd?

3. What vocational, extra-curricular activities were you involved in ?

4. What do you think the problem with the American Health care system is?

5. What are your strengths and weaknesses?

6. What is your support system in life i.e. family, friends etc.

7. What was your most recent experience in health care and what did you learn from it?

8. Do you speak any other language?

9. How would your peers describe you?

So basically know your application well enough to talk about it. And try not to get caught off guard. Like the interviewer cross questioned my response " is that all you think the problem is with the American Health care system?" and I was like ummm of course not, and then had to cook up something on the spot.

Good luck guys! I don't think I want to go to Drexel though. I am torn b/w BU MAMS and TUFTS MBS.

Hi post-bac alumni,

most ppl that go into a postbac with a low 20 score (20-22) usually raise it to 27-29.... can anyone give some explanation for why they think its so difficult to get a 30+ score even after an intense yr of review? this is an honest question no one take offense plz i know a 7 or 8 pt increase is awesome!! but what does it take to get a 30+?

Hi post-bac alumni,

most ppl that go into a postbac with a low 20 score (20-22) usually raise it to 27-29.... can anyone give some explanation for why they think its so difficult to get a 30+ score even after an intense yr of review? this is an honest question no one take offense plz i know a 7 or 8 pt increase is awesome!! but what does it take to get a 30+?

The MCAT =/= medical school therefore an SMP isn't an "intense year of review". The MCAT tests your ability to take the MCAT; it doesn't measure what kind of medical student you'll be or how well you comprehend the Friedal-Crafts mechanism. While there may be correlations, strong performance at an SMP doesn't guarantee strong performance on a subsequent MCAT attempt.

As others have said before, SMPs like the IMS program or the Georgetown SMP make the most sense for applicants with low GPAs and good-to-great MCATs. Other programs like Drexel's MBS can help if you are in need of more MCAT prep.

ok ppl dont seem to understand what i am saying ill b more specific. the goal of msp is to improve ur mcat score imo..... now the program is geared to students with low mcat scores and u do a review of the prereqs to prepare. ive heard the avg increase in score is like 7pts so i was asking if you start say at a 22 and u go up to a 29 is that the most realistic increase? what study habits could change to get a 30+ i posted this on the ims thread assuming most ppl r coming from msp