drexel ims

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i posted this on the ims thread assuming most ppl r coming from msp

A few things:

1. Why the TXT speak? English is pretty awesome.

2. Most students in IMS are just that: IMS students. The MBS students who continue on to take the second year (and earn a Masters degree) do not comprise the majority of the class.

3. Where are you getting this figure of a 7-8 point increase? Of the MSPers I knew at Drexel, most had a 30+. It also might be a self-selecting group because those who do well are more likely to continue on into the second year.

Members don't see this ad.

im sorry i didnt know this forum was essay portion of the mcat...

hey jusawannabdoc :),

Your question is a valid one but i really think you should listen to the point TyrKinase was trying to make. Smp programs typically cover upper level science course material... most of which isn't even covered on the mcat. Consequently, smps are more geared towards people who had higher mcat scores but low gpa's and really need to show that they can handle the medical school science curriculum...

I know for me I was only able to get my 30+ mcat score after studying SPECIFICALLY for the mcat, and the mcat alone, for 2 months straight. I essentially spent my entire summer studying for this one test, with no other course obligations to distract me... and in my opinion, was probably the best way to go...Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks but i was speaking specifically about post bac programs like msp where u retake the prereqs during that first yr and do a built in mcat course im not speaking of programs like georetown

ah, gotcha. this is the dpms ims forum, though, so i thought that's what we're talking about.

yea so i was trying to get answers from ppl that had the msp experience

yea so i was trying to get answers from ppl that had the msp experience

i taught the mcat course for msp/dpms this year. you take the basic sciences (gchem, ochem, physics, bio) and an mcat prep course all year, but i don't know where you're getting this 7-8 pt increase statistic- everyone in the program studied very diligently for the test but i don't think i saw that high a jump in anybody's score. in my opinion, unless you studied poorly the previous time or study amazingly this time, it's hard to really change your score by more than a few pts.

whoops sorry i just realized i was like 2 weeks late replying to that message. but still if anybody has questions regarding ims/mms/msp/mbs/dpms/etc feel free to ask

Hi

I am currently finishing out MSP this spring and will be starting MBS next fall. I just wanted to know if you know of anyone or specific stories from your year of the people that applied to med school.

1. How many people got in after applying after MSP year? MD? DO? what schools?
2. How many people got in 2nd time applying after MBS year? MD? DO?
3. How many people got the guaranteed interview after MBS? and got into DUCOM?
4. The people who didn't get in after applying after MSP and applied after MBS, during the year of waiting what did they do? still take courses? volunteer? work?

Thanks so much. Any help you can give is appreciated.