Drexel Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icecream4me

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

New to SDN; glad to have found this, since you guys post some really helpful stuff. For my first post, I wanted to ask if anyone has had their Drexel interview yet? This is my first interview (and the first school that I have heard back from) and wanted to get a feel for the kind of things they may ask. Previous year experiences are also appreciated!

Also, what's going on with Rosalind Franklin? I tried to access their website but it's down, and I tried to find their number online but all the numbers are disconnected. I still haven't received a secondary from them; Any ideas?

Thanks, guys! :)

Members don't see this ad.

check out the interview feedback section of SDN that should give you a good idea of questions that have been asked in the past at drexel

Is Drexel going to e-mail us a list of hosts? Silly me forgot to ask when I set up my interview date.

Members don't see this ad :)
for those of you who got interviews at Drexel, wud u mind sharing your stats?? thanks so much!

tinkerbelle said:
Is Drexel going to e-mail us a list of hosts? Silly me forgot to ask when I set up my interview date.

I asked about the student host program. The woman said that they haven't yet heard back from any med students yet about whether they were willing to host. She told me to call back in a week or two. I would just give them a call at the end of next week and ask. Kind of silly that they haven't even looked for student hosts yet.

oniwindu said:
I asked about the student host program. The woman said that they haven't yet heard back from any med students yet about whether they were willing to host. She told me to call back in a week or two. I would just give them a call at the end of next week and ask. Kind of silly that they haven't even looked for student hosts yet.

are you kidding? darn. i guess i should book a hotel then :mad: my interveiw is in a week and a half.

yancantcook said:
drexel interview: 3.7, 32

Gosh. I suppose I should be happy I got an interview with my crappy 3.4 :)

tinkerbelle said:
Gosh. I suppose I should be happy I got an interview with my crappy 3.4 :)

3.4 gpa and what mcat?

Hey All,

I'm a first year at Drexel and want to let you all know not to worry about the interview. It's really low stress and just an opportunity to get to know you.

So far, I absolutely love it at Drexel, so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Good Luck!!

By the way, our average stats for our class were a 3.5 and a 30MCAT. But Drexel really looks for well-rounded people. There are definitely some amazing people here!

Hi all,

My stats are weird, I am a graduate student. Undergrad: 3.33, Grad: 3.75. MCAT: 31O.

As for hotels and such, I called a bunch of them today, and it seems like a lot of them are already booked! Since my interview is this coming Monday, I decided to just take a train up early. To my knowledge, there are still no student hosts. :(

for those of you who got interviews, when were you complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
LauraMac said:
for those of you who got interviews, when were you complete?

Both my "you are complete" postcard and interview invite letter had the same date--i believe 9/8.

runner1979 said:
Both my "you are complete" postcard and interview invite letter had the same date--i believe 9/8.

hey, me too

:) very happy to get this one~ it kind of worries me because they interview 1350 people from out-of-state and only accept 179. :eek: maybe i will see some of you next tuesday? ;)

tinnyfluffy said:
:) very happy to get this one~ it kind of worries me because they interview 1350 people from out-of-state and only accept 179. :eek: maybe i will see some of you next tuesday? ;)

Oh! I'll be there! Gosh... I didn't know they accepted so few out of staters.
Anyways. I guess I will see you on Tuesday tinnyfluffy :)

tinnyfluffy said:

Its not as doomsday as you think. According to the US News Ranking, they get:

Out of State Applicants: 4990
Out of State Interviews: 1354
Out of State Acceptances: 717
Out of State Matriculants: 179

Remember, # of Matriculants does not equal # of acceptances. Hope this takes some of the stress off!

Anyone interviewing next Thursday?

runner1979 said:

Remember, # of Matriculants does not equal # of acceptances. Hope this takes some of the stress off!

Wow, so greater than 50% of interviewees gets offered a spot. That's awesome!

BTW, how long did it take for your files to be complete? I sent in my LOR's three weeks ago, but only sent in my application on 9/7. Want to plan my East Coast trip all at once.

Yeah, thats quite amazing. only 1/4 of hte people who get accept actually go but 1/2 that get interviewed go so those are great numbers.

How did you guys schedule your interviews?
I tried calling the interview coordinator several times, but I kept getting the answering machine. What are the hours I should be calling?
Or should I be emailing someone?

tic112 said:
How did you guys schedule your interviews?
I tried calling the interview coordinator several times, but I kept getting the answering machine. What are the hours I should be calling?
Or should I be emailing someone?

Call the number listed in the invite letter. I got the machine the first time, called back 45 minutes later and got through.

The first few times I called, nobody picked up. But if you leave a message, then the secretary will call you back. I called around 11 am, and I was able to finally get through.

hey everyone
im interviewing at drexel on tuesday too (this is my 1st one too) im pretty scared. im taking the train from NYC, anyone else from new york?
where ru staying? im stayin at the holiday (and for some reason i cant get that chingy w/ ludacris song out of my head big pimpin at the holidaeee innnn) cuz teh student host thing isnt really all that set up
im more nervous about transportation and crap. if anyone else is staying there let me know maybe we can take the shuttle together ! :)

acidhouse303 said:
hey everyone
im interviewing at drexel on tuesday too (this is my 1st one too) im pretty scared. im taking the train from NYC, anyone else from new york?
where ru staying? im stayin at the holiday (and for some reason i cant get that chingy w/ ludacris song out of my head big pimpin at the holidaeee innnn) cuz teh student host thing isnt really all that set up
im more nervous about transportation and crap. if anyone else is staying there let me know maybe we can take the shuttle together ! :)

guys, i feel so stupid about geography on that side of the coast. i have an interview at drexel on a monday and an interview at einstein on wed. there's a train i can take? i was gonna buy a plane ticket and spend 5 hours in an airport? with the transfers it's gonna take that long. someone please tell me about this train....

wxl31 said:
guys, i feel so stupid about geography on that side of the coast. i have an interview at drexel on a monday and an interview at einstein on wed. there's a train i can take? i was gonna buy a plane ticket and spend 5 hours in an airport? with the transfers it's gonna take that long. someone please tell me about this train....

I was planning my trips too, and I stumbled upon this busline that goes from Philly to NYC. 12 bucks. From my friends, its only around an hour or so drive from NYC to phillly, so the bus shouldn't take too long.

http://www.2000coach.com/

Uegis said:
I was planning my trips too, and I stumbled upon this busline that goes from Philly to NYC. 12 bucks. From my friends, its only around an hour or so drive from NYC to phillly, so the bus shouldn't take too long.

http://www.2000coach.com/

oh my goodness...i cannot believe i almost bought a plane ticket for 150 dollars. ok, i'm obviously not suited to plan trips on that part of the coast. can anyone provide internet resources i might want to look up?

runner1979 said:

wow! this indeed takes some stress off~ thanks runner! :oops: maybe i should look up the stats in US News sometime. ;)

i look forward to meeting tinkerbelle on tuesday, too! :p

Hey acidhouse303,

how are you going to get from the train station to Drexel? I know you can take a bus, but I'm not arriving till like 9pm or something on Monday night. I'm not sure how safe it is to take the bus at night. Hmm.... I hope cabs aren't super expensive. Anyone else arriving around then? Maybe we can split a cab....

Anyways. I AM SOOOO NERVOUS. It'll be my first interview too. Although it's comforting that so many SDNers will be there too :) See y'all on Tuesday!

- tinkerbelle

tinkerbelle said:
Hey acidhouse303,

how are you going to get from the train station to Drexel? I know you can take a bus, but I'm not arriving till like 9pm or something on Monday night. I'm not sure how safe it is to take the bus at night. Hmm.... I hope cabs aren't super expensive. Anyone else arriving around then? Maybe we can split a cab....

Anyways. I AM SOOOO NERVOUS. It'll be my first interview too. Although it's comforting that so many SDNers will be there too :) See y'all on Tuesday!

- tinkerbelle

If you need to get from the train station (or Center City) to Drexel, just take SEPTA's R8 train. The Queen Lane stop is kitty-corner from campus, at Wissahickon and Queen Lane.

http://www.septa.org/

snapdad said:
If you need to get from the train station (or Center City) to Drexel, just take SEPTA's R8 train. The Queen Lane stop is kitty-corner from campus, at Wissahickon and Queen Lane.

http://www.septa.org/

Thanks snapdad :) I remember seeing info about the SEPTA train. I'm just not sure if it is safe to walk from the Wissahickon/Queen Lane Stop to The Parson's corner (3300 W. Queen Lane) at night and by myself. What do you think?

tinkerbelle said:
Thanks snapdad :) I remember seeing info about the SEPTA train. I'm just not sure if it is safe to walk from the Wissahickon/Queen Lane Stop to The Parson's corner (3300 W. Queen Lane) at night and by myself. What do you think?

Sorry...didn't see the "after nine" bit 'till after I'd posted. I guess to be prudent I probably wouldn't advise it by yourself if it's nighttime, you're female and you're carrying luggage. It's actually a pretty ok area...there are a lot of nice houses and apartments along that part of Queen Lane and you'd *probably* be fine, but then again, it's Philly. The walk would take you past Drexel, and I see a lot of students walking along that stretch at night, but I don't usually see them walking by themselves. The walk to Drexel in the morning will be fine, though. :)

Ok, thanks for the info snapdad :) I'll probably take a cab unless I can find another interviewee who will come with me. Well, at least getting to Drexel in the morning won't be a problem :)

hey tinkerbelle, sorry it took me so long to reply
i was planning on just taking a cab to the hotel.. i'm not familiar w/ the philadelphia area so i dont know the bus system so well. where are you staying? if you are arriving after 9pm, i'd def take a cab. not that philly is a bad place or anything, its just gonna be way more conveniant to take a cab, yanno? About Philly cab fares (thanx 2 google): The current meter rate is $1.80 from the time the meter is turned on the first 1/6th of a mile, $0.30 per 1/6 of a mile thereafter. The waiting time rate is $0.20 per minute.
Thats not too bad. (and your safety is worth it!)
if you want to talk more, my AIM is the same as this : acidhouse303
im really nervous too! i hate answering questions bout "myself" like what are your greatest strengths/weaknesses etc... :(

for you NY-ers out there, im taking greyhound which is only like 20 bucks, amtrak is really expensive, and i believe NJ transit goes there (i dunno if its to 30th st station or what though)

anyone out there staying at the Holiday? They have a shuttle to the med school...

anyone interviewing pls feel free to IM me acidhouse303

good luck all ! :D

this might sound stupid but im curious as to your opinions
ya know when they ask u "do u have any Q's for me?" is it cool to whip out your legal pad and read some Q's u wrote down previously?
cuz i have short term memory probs.. just wonderin if this is un professional

acidhouse303 said:
this might sound stupid but im curious as to your opinions
ya know when they ask u "do u have any Q's for me?" is it cool to whip out your legal pad and read some Q's u wrote down previously?
cuz i have short term memory probs.. just wonderin if this is un professional

I wouldn't whip out a legal pad in front of the interviewer. Try to memorize a few of the questions... or look them over before you enter his office. And even if you do forget some of the questions you wrote down previously, I'm sure you'll think of more during the interview and after going on the tour.

Thanks for all the cab info! Oh, I'll PM you my IM name. We can complain about being super nervous together :) Gosh, I'm sitting here talking to myself.. trying to come up with good answers to "tell me about yourself" and "why med/drexel".

Have you guys checked out the interview feedback? It seems like we are going to be some of the very first people to interview.. yay us :) Good luck everyone :luck:

have u checked out the hotels that drexel recommends? two of them are really cheap and are walking distance, why are alot of you choosing holiday? anyone have an interview on the 28th by any chance?

the chinatown buses from nyc are a crazy good deal and, what i hear, are really nice buses too... definately definately take these buses over the train or airplane

davedavedave said:
have u checked out the hotels that drexel recommends? two of them are really cheap and are walking distance, why are alot of you choosing holiday? anyone have an interview on the 28th by any chance?

The two cheap "hotels" aren't really hotels. It's actually someone's house and they rent out two rooms on the top floor. I'm staying there for my interview this week... I can let you know how it is. The person who picked up the phone sounded really nice though. And if it rains, she said she would drive me and the other interviewee to the school. If you want to stay there, you'd better call soon... cause I'm sure the rooms get booked up quickly...

interview sent out 9/15/04, receievd 9/20/04.

undergrad 3.25, grad 3.95. MCAT 33R

Hey everyone!

I just got my interview invitation from Drexel!!! I'm really happy because it is one of my top choice schools and I know it's great. I interviewed already at EVMS and Temple; those are DEFINETELY not schools i want to go to (nothing against them, I just wasn't feeling them).

For those of you who've had/will soon have an interview, what days do they offer them? I have classes tuesday through thursday so the only days that really work for me are mondays and fridays. Good luck everyone! :D

Weezerfan1983 said:
Hey everyone!

I just got my interview invitation from Drexel!!! I'm really happy because it is one of my top choice schools and I know it's great. I interviewed already at EVMS and Temple; those are DEFINETELY not schools i want to go to (nothing against them, I just wasn't feeling them).

For those of you who've had/will soon have an interview, what days do they offer them? I have classes tuesday through thursday so the only days that really work for me are mondays and fridays. Good luck everyone! :D

When were you complete? I got my complete card post-marked 9/14, but no interview postcard. Did you get the interview invited the same time as your file complete post-card?

I'm pretty sure interviews are offered everyday except Wednesday. But they definitely offer interviews monday, tuesdays, and thursdays cause that's when my friends and I all had our interviews. Although I think the Monday & Friday interviews are pretty booked.

I just had my Drexel interview, so if y'all have any questions, feel free to PM me :)

I just got a drexel interview; of course i haven't been able to get in contact with them to schedule it. Any words of wisdom that people wish to share will be greatly appreciated!

notsittinpretty said:
I just got a drexel interview; of course i haven't been able to get in contact with them to schedule it. Any words of wisdom that people wish to share will be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for asking this again, but did the interview invite come with the "file complete card

Uegis said:
Sorry for asking this again, but did the interview invite come with the "file complete card

No, they are mailed separately. Mine were dated on the same date, but the interview invite letter came 2 days later.

Same with me....it wasn't a card though. It was in a thin envelope (thought it was going to be a rejection letter).

Guess I'm not getting an invite then. I got my file complete card last week on Thursday...

....getting the card and not immediatly getting an interview means rejection???? :(

Ames980 said:
....getting the card and not immediatly getting an interview means rejection???? :(

I doubt it.