Drexel Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ames980 said:
....getting the card and not immediatly getting an interview means rejection???? :(

I'm sure it doesn't. I'm just insecure. I really wanted to hear from them so I can plan my scheduling at once. I will be in NY and Philly (for Temple) so I wanted to do it in one shot, save some money. It gets expensive flying out to the east coast from CA all the time.

Members don't see this ad.

Uegis said:
I'm sure it doesn't. I'm just insecure. I really wanted to hear from them so I can plan my scheduling at once. I will be in NY and Philly (for Temple) so I wanted to do it in one shot, save some money. It gets expensive flying out to the east coast from CA all the time.

then throw 'em an email and tell them youll be in the area.... side note: how long after you were complete at temple did you hear about your interview?

Ames980 said:
then throw 'em an email and tell them youll be in the area.... side note: how long after you were complete at temple did you hear about your interview?

I was complete around beginning of August.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the people who recieved a complete notice from Drexel - how long after you sent in your secondary did you get that card? I sent my secondary to Drexel on 8/25 and I have not heard anything from them. I emailed them 2 weeks ago and still have not heard back.

vcatz said:
For the people who recieved a complete notice from Drexel - how long after you sent in your secondary did you get that card? I sent my secondary to Drexel on 8/25 and I have not heard anything from them. I emailed them 2 weeks ago and still have not heard back.

I got it back from them in a week. I sent it in Sept 7th, and got the card on the 16th. It was pretty quick since i live in the west coast.

Funny - I actually live in Philly and no word from them after 4 weeks.

Uegis said:

Hey just got my Drexel invite via snail mail. I never received a post-card saying I was complete. However, I did send them an email telling them that I would be on the East Coast (ie. EVMS) and wanted to plan an interview there because I'm flying from Cali. So, a week later I received an invite.

Oh, and my stats are:

UG BCPM 3.3
Grad BCPM 3.9
MCAT 32Q

Send them an email telling them your situation. Good luck!

i just had my drexel interview on tuesday (9/21) so if u have Q's u can PM me too, they were very nice and laid back, i wouldnt sweat it.

Just got my invite in the mail today too. I woulda enjoyed the moment if it wasn't for the fact that I picked up my mail first thing after getting back from my Temple interview!!!! And I flew all the way from Cali!!! I was still wearing the suit I had on during the interview when I picked up my mail. GRRRR :mad: :mad:

Hey everyone,

Sorry for not getting back sooner...is there an easy way to know if there have been replies posts we put up?

To answer that one question, I got my invite about a month after I was complete at Drexel, and about 3 weeks after Temple. By the way, Temple's is a really laid back interview too. So is EVMS if anyone is interested.

Peace!

can anyone tell me what they really like about drexel/what unique things it has to offer? I know they have this unique curriculum and u can choose between two different ones...any other good points about drexel?

YAY! I got my Drexel interview invite last night!! :D :D
I got my postcard from there about two-three weeks ago. Hope more people will be joining me for the interviews! :luck:

To those that have not received an interview invite yet.....RELAX! Schools interview all the way until Spring, and I know Drexel interviewed up until April (maybe May) last application cycle. It is still extremely early in the interview season and many schools probably have not even started yet.
And also, taking a break from SDN would not be a bad thing for your nerves.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm not very familiar with the east coast. Which airport is closest to drexel? I'll be flying over from califorinia.

jamesh said:
i'm not very familiar with the east coast. Which airport is closest to drexel? I'll be flying over from califorinia.

Philadelphia International (PHL) is about 25-30 minutes away. I flew in the night before and caught a 5pm flight out after the interview with plenty of time to spare (day ended at 2:45).

Is it easy getting taxi's to get from airport to hotel and hotel to med school? I dont interview until Nov. but just curious, I'm gonna try and book a hotel that has a shuttle to the school

vikaskoth said:
Is it easy getting taxi's to get from airport to hotel and hotel to med school? I dont interview until Nov. but just curious, I'm gonna try and book a hotel that has a shuttle to the school

Taxi from the airport should be no problem. And I'm sure the hotel can arrange for a taxi to the school. With all those taxi rides, a rental car may turn out to be cheaper.

joining the club... just got my interview invite... i'm going to call tuesday to schedule it. what has everyone thought so far about the school?

runner1979 said:
Taxi from the airport should be no problem. And I'm sure the hotel can arrange for a taxi to the school. With all those taxi rides, a rental car may turn out to be cheaper.

i'm only 21 and i don't have a credit card, so i doubt i can rent a car. I'd be more comfortable just arranging transport anyways, don't wanna get lost on interview day

does anyone know about drexel's post-bacc program? (yes, i know there's a post-bacc forum section.. but i'm planning my backups)

LauraMac said:
joining the club... just got my interview invite... i'm going to call tuesday to schedule it. what has everyone thought so far about the school?

well.. for those of you going to the upcoming interview at drexel.... if you are not staying with a student host, remember to book your hotel REALLY early. use the list that they provided you with. PICK THE CLOSEST (i.e. 5-min walking distance) hotels. i stayed at a hotel that's about 15 miles away from the queen lane campus. it took me around 30-40 minutes driving to the school! make time for the traffic and such.

on the day of the interview, you might be arranged with an interviewer at the downtown hospital. don't sweat... wanda, the admissions lady, is extremely nice. she will show you how to take the shuttle. follow the instructions on the paper closely to find your interviewer. i hope none of you get lost. :thumbup:

Hey all,

First off, congrats on your Drexel interviews!

Here's a list of great things about Drexel that I made right before school started. After being in school for over 2 months, I would say this list is pretty accurate, but I would move #3 and #5 up to the top of the list. So far, I love it here. Feel free to contact me with any questions about the school.

Good Luck!!

I'm a little biased regarding Drexel, but here's a list of great things about the school:

Just to name a few reasons:

1. Drexel is one of the only medical schools that recognizes that students learn in different ways and therefore offers different curriculum to choose from. When will the other schools figure this out too??

2. The school is one of the most technologically advanced medical schools.

3. From everyone I have spoken to at Drexel, I have heard that the faculty is extremely supportive, responsive, and helpful. They are there to TEACH.

4. Drexel offers clinical rotations through different types of hospitals in PA and NJ. Therefore, you get diverse clinical training in all sorts of settings and locations.

5. The student body at Drexel is more diverse than any school I visited in terms of age, ethnicity, background etc.

6. Drexel offers a campus in a safe, quiet location with access to all the resources, activities,and fun found in Philly.

7. Drexel's history is quite unique since it evolved from being the first women's medical colleges!

8. Drexel emphasizes community outreach more than most schools. I believe that serving the community is a fundamental aspect of medicine.

9. Drexel's matchlist is not too shabby.

10. For a private school, Drexel's tuition is not so bad.

drexel is a couple minute walk from a septa station... just take the train

I've been complete since 9/16. I want a Drexel interview. I hate this waiting game. And now they are already booked till December. AHHHH!!

wow i feel pretty good about gettin an interview from drexel. i have lower stats than u guys on there and got one. im not a urm or anything either. good luck to everyone. my interview is nov 4th.btw

I have an interview at Drexel in late November. I have some questions about travel.

One, how far is the Philly train station (from what I saw there is only one station) from Drexel?...I am taking a train in the early morning (from about 1.5hrs away) instead of staying at an hotel. Has anyone else done this? Is this a good idea?

Thank you for your input, and good luck everyone!

:D

Uegis said:
I've been complete since 9/6. I want a Drexel interview. I hate this waiting game. And now they are already booked till December. AHHHH!!

Don't worry too much, I was complete about the same exact time you were (9/7, I think) and I just got my invite.
:luck:

BlueMagpie said:
I have an interview at Drexel in late November. I have some questions about travel.

One, how far is the Philly train station (from what I saw there is only one station) from Drexel?...I am taking a train in the early morning (from about 1.5hrs away) instead of staying at an hotel. Has anyone else done this? Is this a good idea?

Thank you for your input, and good luck everyone!

:D

I took the Amtrak Train from DC to Philly. It was pretty close- about a 15 min cab ride. But print out directions from the train station to the school. My stupid cab driver didn't know where he was going and charged me twaice as much as it should have cost. Anyways.

Also... if you are riding up the moring of your interview, make sure you get there reallllly early. Sometimes the trains are delayed.... and you don't want to show up late for your interview.

I stayed at the Parson's Corner for $40 and I thought it was a pretty good deal. But I guess it's up to you. If you don't want to spend $$ on a hotel, just make sure you plan wisely :)

PM me if you have any questions about the interview :)

finally got through... scheduled an interview for dec. 6th.

anyone know about student host information? i got some email addresses of hosts through the admissions office, but none of the them were valid when i tried to send emails.

tinkerbelle said:
I took the Amtrak Train from DC to Philly. It was pretty close- about a 15 min cab ride. But print out directions from the train station to the school. My stupid cab driver didn't know where he was going and charged me twaice as much as it should have cost.

Just on this tangent...if you take a cab, make sure the cabbie is clear that you're NOT trying to go to the main Drexel campus, NOR are you trying to go to Hahnemann Hospital. To most people in Philly, when you say "Drexel Med School," they assume you mean one of those places, as not a lot of people seem to realize that the med school campus is out in East Falls near MCP Hospital. I ran into this a couple of times when I interviewed at Drexel last year, i.e., people gave me directions to the main Drexel campus, which totally messed me up.

I have mine on the 26th...I am staying with a host. Drexel seems very cool...do you think they have many small town midwestern people there? I may have some diversity in that!

how did you all schedule your drexel interview? everytime i call, i get the answering machine. and no one has called me back...

bridge01 said:
how did you all schedule your drexel interview? everytime i call, i get the answering machine. and no one has called me back...

I called about 5 times and left messages until someone actually answered. Mornings seem to be better to get people on the phone. They were very nice. Need to get some more office help, though. :rolleyes:

I actually called them today around 10am to schedule my interview, I got a real person, but she said the system was down. She called me back around noon when the system was back up

Did most of you get the letter invite recently? I have been complete since 9-13, exactly a month. Are they booked till December already? :scared:

I mailed in my secondary on Aug. 25, and have not heard from them since. I just emailed them and have not received a response! This is frustrating, is anyone else in the same boat? :(

I recently had my interview at Drexel, they said last year they interviewed around 1700 applicants. Eventhough they plan to cut that number down a tad they will still be interviewing well into next year. So, don't sweat it. You should be hearing from them soon.

Senor.Frog said:
I recently had my interview at Drexel, they said last year they interviewed around 1700 applicants. Eventhough they plan to cut that number down a tad they will still be interviewing well into next year. So, don't sweat it. You should be hearing from them soon.

that's a lot of people. at the interview, did they give you any #s in terms of how many acceptances they give to fill their class?

bridge01 said:
that's a lot of people. at the interview, did they give you any #s in terms of how many acceptances they give to fill their class?

From the first page of this thread. Taken from US News and World Report

Out of State Applicants: 4990
Out of State Interviews: 1354
Out of State Acceptances: 717
Out of State Matriculants: 179

EDIT: These numbers were from the entering class of 2003, hence the discrepancy from what previous posters had said.

I mailed in my application on 9/5 and got my interview letter yesterday. When I called to schedule an interview they told me the next available slot was in december

F.Y.I. Drexel is in the process of decreasing it's class size. This year, my class is about 220 people which is atleast 25 less people than previous classes. I know that they said they are going to continue decreasing, but I'm not sure how many they will accept this coming year. I do think it's a good thing for the school and will make Drexel more competitive (which it should be!).

Good Luck!!!

drexel interview 1700??? how many acceptances do they send out?? all of a sudden my interview invite doesnt seem so great...