DREXEL Med Class of 2010!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
registered user said:
Seriously. All the events they have lined up sound fun. Unless you hate fun, that $100 will be well spent.

Did you get an email or a letter about the orientation social events? I haven't gotten anything and was just wondering about it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

drraab said:
Did you get an email or a letter about the orientation social events? I haven't gotten anything and was just wondering about it. Thanks!

email with attachment

registered user said:
email with attachment

I got a packet in the mail about it and an email.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you guys are wondering about orientation you can find a lot of info on the website for the incoming class: http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/osa/orientation/2010/

there is also a list of 2nd years you guys can call that can help you with any questions

orientation is a ton of fun and a great time to meet your classmates... even if you're from philly its important

email me if you have any other questions about anything
at [email protected]

-vlad

if you guys are wondering about orientation you can find a lot of info on the website for the incoming class: http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/osa/orientation/2010/

there is also a list of 2nd years you guys can call that can help you with any questions

orientation is a ton of fun and a great time to meet your classmates... even if you're from philly its important

email me if you have any other questions about anything
at [email protected]

-vlad

I am planning on going to Drexel this fall and am looking for a roommate. I am a 22 year old male from florida. I enjoy having deep conversations and long walks on the beach (just kidding... okay it was a bad joke) I like to keep things clean, but my room tends to get a little messy around finals and other big exams. I enjoy sports and am usually up for anything me. Pm me if you are interested. thanks

Hi!

I'm going to be a first year med student at Drexel and I am currently looking for a roomate and housing. I prefer to live walking distance to campus, possibly in Queen Lane Manor or somewhere that's really close. A little bit about me. I am 22 years old. graduate from UC Berkeley Spring 2005. I like to play alot of sports... tennis and bball especially. Most of my friends know me as a very chill person..I generally study mostly outside of my apt, so I tend to be out most of the time.

PM me if you need a roomate too. Also, does anyone have any comments on Queen Lane Manor or the apartments next to the Queens Lane Campus.

-Roger

By bball do you mean baseball or basketball? I like to play basketball but I especially like baseball :thumbup:
hamstastyl said:
Hi!

I'm going to be a first year med student at Drexel and I am currently looking for a roomate and housing. I prefer to live walking distance to campus, possibly in Queen Lane Manor or somewhere that's really close. A little bit about me. I am 22 years old. graduate from UC Berkeley Spring 2005. I like to play alot of sports... tennis and bball especially. Most of my friends know me as a very chill person..I generally study mostly outside of my apt, so I tend to be out most of the time.

PM me if you need a roomate too. Also, does anyone have any comments on Queen Lane Manor or the apartments next to the Queens Lane Campus.

-Roger

hamstastyl said:
Hi!

-Roger

I was looking at some of the places along Queen Lane before taking a place in Alden Park. The one at the very end of the street has a couple studios and a pretty big 1 BR for about $500-600 including heat. There was also another one with a sign in the yard a few houses up the road (closer to DUCOM) owned by a older hispanic woman named Marta. I liked the 2 BR she had for $1100 plus utilities although a post I read on here recently sounded a lot like it, so I think someone took it and is looking for a roomate (I think the post is on page 12 or so of this forum, he calls her a Greek woman though so it might not be the same although I'm pretty sure it is). She also had a 1 BR in the downstairs that wasn't too bad either. I have all the information on these two places written down including rent, names/numbers, etc. IM me at jamen316 or email at [email protected] if you wanted to know anything else. See you in the fall...

Jamen

drexel med (queen lane) and hahnemann are on higher ground so they weren't affected by the flooding (the queen lane resevoir is just a water purification resevoir that is tiny in comparison with the Delaware and the Schulkill rivers which flooded... what sucks is that manayunk flooded a little (and thats a cool place to go out) but the damage should be fixed pretty soon

-vlad

Polska said:
How is the Drexel Med School area during the flooding? How about the different areas where apts are? I heard Manayunk had some bad flooding. I know the school isn't by the river but it is near the Queen Lane Resevior (sp?)...

i live in queen lane manor... its pretty good for the most part... not as nice as alden park but its cheaper and its nice enough and you get a relatively big sized apartments... its elevator sucks but thats about it... also a big asset is its right across from school... just lets u get that extra couple of minutes of sleep before you have to roll out of bed and walk to school
-vlad

hamstastyl said:
Hi!

-Roger

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

I'm trying to organize a bone marrow typing drive (which is an opportunity to become part of the National Marrow Registry) for all Philadelphia medical students of the class of 2010. If you are interested in becoming part of the Registry, or if you are interested in helping organize the drive (which we are planning to do during the week of orientation) please check out this link:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=294554

radical said:
Hello!

I'm trying to organize a bone marrow typing drive (which is an opportunity to become part of the National Marrow Registry) for all Philadelphia medical students of the class of 2010. If you are interested in becoming part of the Registry, or if you are interested in helping organize the drive (which we are planning to do during the week of orientation) please check out this link:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=294554

Suckin up before the start of school.. Classic..

God, I hate hippies..

Lets keep it civil please.....

Polska said:
Does anyone know exactly how financial aid works? In late July, will my loans of 50K be given to Drexel who takes out their 38K and then cuts me a check for 12K?

Excellent questions. I still haven't been given the link to sign the Master Promissory Note online. I want to make sure I definitely get the subsidized Stafford + the unsubsidized Stafford loans. I also was awarded a 3k Perkins loan, but that's through the school. Staffard is through the DOE. How does the school coordinate the Stafford loans? Drexel One shows that I've been "accepted", but then makes a note that virtually all loans show their status as "accepted" and suggests follow-up would be good.

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has been having issues with the DrexelOne email page lately. It was working fine when I first got my account set up, then I was getting these "Error: Session Expired" messages when I opened the email window. I haven't been able to get into that email account for about a week now. Anyone know what's going on?

Polska said:
Does anyone know exactly how financial aid works? In late July, will my loans of 50K be given to Drexel who takes out their 38K and then cuts me a check for 12K?

Yep, that's how it works, but it might not be in late July. It sometimes takes a little longer and you don't get the money immediately at the beginning of the semester. So don't bank on having that money to pay your August rent.

jamen316 said:
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has been having issues with the DrexelOne email page lately. It was working fine when I first got my account set up, then I was getting these "Error: Session Expired" messages when I opened the email window. I haven't been able to get into that email account for about a week now. Anyone know what's going on?

Two questions:

1.) What browser are you using?
2.) Are cookies enabled?

Try using the latest version of IE and enabling cookies. Hopefully that will make the problem go away. If not, try and see if you get the same problem when using http://webmail.drexel.edu

While on the topic of computer accounts, I thought I'd bring up my own question. I just set up a dunx1 account so that I can SSH into drexel's UNIX machines. I configured the account to use BASH as the shell. Whenever I try to SSH, I configure the hostname to dunx1.irt.drexel.edu and port 22 using ssh2, then use the userid and password as set up in my dunx1 computer account. For some reason, I always get an authentication error! I've tried to SSH, and I also tried to FTP --> both fail. This is frusturating, because I'd like to unlock my web account so I can publish a webpage!!! We all can have one, hosted at www.pages.drexel.edu and who knows, it could come in useful. Maybe I should just suck-it-up, get over myself, and read IRT's "Basic Guide to the Internet!" tutorial... the answer may very well be there.

Hi, Just wanted to say good luck to the future Drexelites. I just got off my dream school waitlist so alas I am withdrawing. but I wish you all the best of luck!

Thanks for the advice on the email problem. I figured out that if I don't properly logout every time, I will get that error. It might just be my PC though. Either way, I reset and worked around it. As for your question, I wish I could begin to give advice but just about every noun in that paragraph was a foreign word. Good luck on setting up whatever it is you're looking to set up :confused:. I didn't know about those web pages though. Are they to be used for something regarding classes/medicine or are they just personal web space to publish whatever we want?

Punkinhead said:
Hi, Just wanted to say good luck to the future Drexelites. I just got off my dream school waitlist so alas I am withdrawing. but I wish you all the best of luck!

Congratulations! Where will you be going?

Hi Guys,
So I am closing on my house this coming Tuesday and am now in the midst of my roomate search. Here's a link to my ad on craigslist if any of you are still looking for a place and interested:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/roo/178746045.html

As a quick summary, I have 3 rooms, 2 of which are quite large and will be renting for 575, 700, and 750 for each utils not included. Theres a hot tub, sweet new kitchen, wetbar in the basement, and I'll be putting in a new master bath with jacuzzi at the end of the month.
I definitely want at least 1 roomate who isnt a med student but I'd also like to live with 1 or two people from our class.

Also, I am moving out of my current apartment and my two buddies are going to keep it and are looking for someone to take my room. Rent here is 625 a month with utils included and there's a pool and gym and tennis courts (it's summit park apartments). My room is the master bedroom with it's own bathroom. It's a sweet setup but I wanted to get my own place. My two roomates are both second years at drexel. They're also brothers and they're real cool. You can call or email me if your interested at 202-329-9054 [email protected], or e-mail my roomate Soheil at [email protected].

Ok, that's it. Cant wait to meet you guys at orientation (assuming I pass my criminal background check :) )!

Lance

SalseraDoctora said:
Congratulations! Where will you be going?

Thank you! University of Cincinnati College of Medicine (my hometown) :)

Hey guys...well this is gonna sound a little like Lance's post. I am closing on my 4 bedroom/1 full bath end-of-row home in Manayunk this coming Monday. Looking to rent out the smaller fourth bedroom (approx. 9' by 9') with hardwood floors for $500 plus 1/4 utilities. The house is on East St., two blocks up from Main Street, right off Shurs Lane (where the Brew Pub is). A little about the house...

It is a complete rehab, everything in the house is brand new and never even turned on before we move in. New central air, cable wired, Freshly painted, new hardwood floors on first floor (LR & DR), tiled brand new large kitchen with stainless steel appliances and built in breakfast bar. Second floor has two bedrooms including one for rent plus the bathroom, and two more bedrooms on fourth floor. PARKING IS INCLUDED, the house has its own driveway and a very large backyard plus back porch.

About us...one female roommate, two male roommates. Two of us are medical students at Drexel (1st & 4th yr) and one is a nurse in the city - all clean, non-smoking, responsible, respectful, generally working during the week, but love to go out on the weekends. Looking for another roomie who knows how to balance being responsible, and well, throwing caution to the wind on the weekends. No smokers or crazies - Male/female doesn't matter, gay/straight doesn't matter, shouldn't matter to you either.

E-mail if you're interested, I can get some photos soon or arrange to show you if you're local. E-mail is [email protected].

-J

J, you're undercutting me!! jk :)

hey everyone -

I was just wondering what people were thinking about the social events? i cant decided if i want to do it or not... meet and greets arent usually my sort of thing.

The second year that called me today said that there will an open bar at the bowling alley.

Does any one know what time orientation ends each day? And is our class schedule posted? I found the exam schedule but that was it.

So long everybody! Have fun in Philly and good luck at Drexel!

If you want an easy way to meet lots of friends in our class before everyone gets cliquey, the first week social stuff is really good. From my 2nd and 3rd year friends I've heard that the cruise specifically is really fun and shouldnt be missed. Classes and orientation usually end between 3pm and 5pm with no routine.

Hi!

I'm going to be a first year med at Drexel and I am currently looking for a roomate for a double across from the Queen Lanes Campus. Send me an e-mail at [email protected] if you are also in need of a roomate too!

Bye bye! It was great getting to know some of you and I wish you luck on ur path to becoming GReAT doctors. I just got accepted to my first choice state school!! Have fun and enjoy drexel. :)

Hey everyone, I found out about this post recently so I thought I'd say whats up...My name is Gobind and I'll be coming in this fall with the rest of you and look forward to meeting everyone at orientation...My sister in law is expecting her first child during the first week of August so I'm not exactly sure how long I'll be at orientation but I'm sure we'll all get to know each other throughout the course of the next few years...I did undergrad in the philly area so I know the place pretty well, its definately going to be a blast...About me -I'm looking to pass and thats about it, hope to give and get all the help I can when needed and meet alotta chill people...I'm from pittsburgh, I think we have a penguins fan in here somewhere but if anyone wants to chat, you can find me at AIM SN "SlushyTheSnoBear" (haha, long story, dont ask...)....take care everyone and lets get soupedddd for Augustttttttttt

-Gobind

DrPepper23 said:
Hey everyone, I found out about this post recently so I thought I'd say whats up...My name is Gobind and I'll be coming in this fall with the rest of you and look forward to meeting everyone at orientation...My sister in law is expecting her first child during the first week of August so I'm not exactly sure how long I'll be at orientation but I'm sure we'll all get to know each other throughout the course of the next few years...I did undergrad in the philly area so I know the place pretty well, its definately going to be a blast...About me -I'm looking to pass and thats about it, hope to give and get all the help I can when needed and meet alotta chill people...I'm from pittsburgh, I think we have a penguins fan in here somewhere but if anyone wants to chat, you can find me at AIM SN "SlushyTheSnoBear" (haha, long story, dont ask...)....take care everyone and lets get soupedddd for Augustttttttttt

-Gobind
Hey I went to undergrad in Pittsburgh so I'm a big fan of the penguins and steelers (sorry eagles fans). Is anybody here living in School Lane House Apartments? I just sent in my security deposit and will be living on the 6th floor. I'm going to be moving in the last weekend of July...hope to see you all soon!

Hey Guys,

I am also going to Drexel. I live downtown right now, and I am going to try to stay in my apartment. Does anyone make the commute? Any advice about living kind of far from school?

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon!

DrPepper23 said:

-Gobind

Hey Gobind,

You were in my MCAT class last summer. It is definitely not a bottle of liquor as much as it is a cat! See you and the girls soon!

R*ckstar said:
Hey Guys,

I am also going to Drexel. I live downtown right now, and I am going to try to stay in my apartment. Does anyone make the commute? Any advice about living kind of far from school?

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon!

Yeah forget about going to school and invest in nice computer and monitor and watch lectures from home in your under-roos

AntGod22 said:
Yeah forget about going to school and invest in nice computer and monitor and watch lectures from home in your under-roos

Hahaha that sounds like a plan, but I am really the "go to class" type. Any advice about the commute?

nah i lived real close to school not sure how it is commuting from the city

DrPepper23 said:
I'm from pittsburgh, I think we have a penguins fan in here somewhere

-Gobind

I'm from near Pittsburgh, so it's good to know at least one other person in our class is from the area. For the record, I used to be a Pens fan circa Jagr era, but I've been a little lax on the enthusiasm for them lately :(

Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody on here has received any scholarships from Drexel. Yesterday they offered be a scholarship...I was wondering if they give out lots of scholarships or if i'm just one of the lucky ones?

gainor848 said:
Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody on here has received any scholarships from Drexel. Yesterday they offered be a scholarship...I was wondering if they give out lots of scholarships or if i'm just one of the lucky ones?

Drexel gives out very few scholarships so consider yourself very lucky. Congratulations!

In response to above posts....

The commute from Center City is not terrible and I have several friends who do it. If you have a car, you can live in the Art Museum area which is nice and is a quick trip to school right down Kelly Drive. If you live closer to the center of the city, it is possible to take the Hahnemann shuttle if you live close enough to the hospital. I don't know if you will get tired of the commute everyday but it is nice to be living downtown. I will be honest and say that many of my classmates who live in Center City stopped coming to lectures everyday, but, by the end of the year, so did the people who live across the street from campus!

Pittsburgh fans...no worries...there is a ridiculous number of Pittsburgh people at Drexel. You will have no problem finding fellow Steelers and Penguins fans.

Elphie said:
Drexel gives out very few scholarships so consider yourself very lucky. Congratulations!

In response to above posts....

The commute from Center City is not terrible and I have several friends who do it. If you have a car, you can live in the Art Museum area which is nice and is a quick trip to school right down Kelly Drive. If you live closer to the center of the city, it is possible to take the Hahnemann shuttle if you live close enough to the hospital. I don't know if you will get tired of the commute everyday but it is nice to be living downtown. I will be honest and say that many of my classmates who live in Center City stopped coming to lectures everyday, but, by the end of the year, so did the people who live across the street from campus!

Pittsburgh fans...no worries...there is a ridiculous number of Pittsburgh people at Drexel. You will have no problem finding fellow Steelers and Penguins fans.

Thanks!

And yes, there are Pittsburghers everywhere! In fact one of my friends founded the Philly Steelers. He signs a contract with a philly bar each season for game watches. They serve Iron city beer and play a CD of steelers fight songs before the game and during half time. Steelers fans from all over the area come. It's a lot of fun (even for an Eagles fan). I will find out the official website and post it soon :)

hey guys,
one more californian joining the party!