DREXEL Med Class of 2010!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
JKhelix said:
Hyman, Do you know anybody living in Queen Lane Manor? I need to get my housing locked down soon.

Nay, sorry. The only apartments I know well around queen lane are alden park and summit park. Surfer MD (Ed) is coming to stay with me for a few days beginning of next week and he'll probably be checking out a bunch of the places so I'll get the scoop from him and let you know if he goes to queen lane manor.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks anyway hyman. I think I'm going to take the place sight unseen, with a short lease. I hope it is not a hole.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hyman said:
Nay, sorry. The only apartments I know well around queen lane are alden park and summit park. Surfer MD (Ed) is coming to stay with me for a few days beginning of next week and he'll probably be checking out a bunch of the places so I'll get the scoop from him and let you know if he goes to queen lane manor.

Yo!

What do you think of Alden Park? I remember they look nice from the outside, what do people who live there think of the place? Cheers.

P.S. Its looking more and more like I will be there in Aug.

Polska,

Weekend sounds great ...as far as the curriculum is concerned I have not decided yet, I am in the process of filling out the PIL application and I think I am leaning towards it..what about you?

It looks like there's going to be more people from wisconsin than I thought, considering I was the only person from wisconsin on my interview day. At least i wont have to eat cheese by myself.

Living in University City and Center City, what do you guys think about that, i.e. commute, area around there, parking, etc...

:eek: :confused:

Hey, just as a heads up, this Sunday we have the annual Philadelphia bike race that is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) bike race event in the country. It runs from city hall in center city out to manayunk and back in laps, I think it starts around 9 am and goes until a bit after noon. (I'm not sure of the exact times). Basically, it's going to be really tough getting around between center city philly and east falls on sunday so you might want to be prepared with maps and patience incase you have to take back streets. Rt 1 should be open to go from I-76 up to the henry ave. exit, but traffic could be nasty.

On the lighter side, it is also the biggest block party of the year in Manayunk. So, if anyone wants to meet up to grab a drink and watch the race, let me know, I'll be there with some friends.

Lance 202-329-9054

toxin said:
Polska,

Weekend sounds great ...as far as the curriculum is concerned I have not decided yet, I am in the process of filling out the PIL application and I think I am leaning towards it..what about you?

registered user said:
Yo!

What do you think of Alden Park? I remember they look nice from the outside, what do people who live there think of the place? Cheers.

P.S. Its looking more and more like I will be there in Aug.

Alden Park is pretty sweet, and there is a veritable buttload (that's a lot) of med students living there. The only negative I've ever heard is that they are old buildings so they have some of the problems that go along with that... Windows can be drafty and there could be a rare problem with plumbing or something. Nothing worse than you'll get with living any place though really. Plus, alden has ill gothic architecture, a nice gym, and super indoor pool that looks like its straight out of one of those Roman bath-houses where slaves kept huge stoves burning underground.

Hey all...I actually lived in Alden Park this year for IMS if anyone has any questions. Basically, its a very old building with some nice architecure. The apartment sizes vary a lot with all the modifications that were done over the years, but rent isnt too bad. I have a 3BR/2bath 2500 sq ft apartment for $1604 a month. The downside is in the age of the building. The windows are large but very thin and not at all insulating; my washing machine only washes in hot water; my dishwasher barely cleans; none of the a/c units actually cools the apartment; the water damage from the apartment upstairs into my living room makes me think someones kitchen table is gonna come crashing down, and our floor once erupted because of water damage underneath. Maintenance is not exactly speedy. Between that and the fact that there's not much around this area besides school, I'm moving to a place in Manayunk. But a lot of people live in Alden Park and don't seem to have any major complaints - I'm sure you'd be fine, theres just some inconveniences.

-J (jwenz0)

So about how far is Manayunk from school? Do you have to drive?

registered user said:
So about how far is Manayunk from school? Do you have to drive?
Yeah, 5-10 minute drive depending. It would be bikable too in better weather, just some hills on the way. It's about 3 miles from campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got into Drexel yesterday and I live in Sacramento and graduated from UC Davis in Spring '05
SuferMD said:
I am coming from Daly City, CA, (right next to san francisco), but i go to school at UC Davis. Hopefully, Drexel will give me a change in scenery, other than the usual cows. Ah, sims4531, my email is [email protected] so give a hollar about what you are doing about finding a place next year.

:sleep:

Does anyone know of any apartment complexes in Manayunk besides Canal House? Would you recommend living in Manayunk or Alden Park?? Thanks for the help.

Hey I have lived in queen lane manor for the past year and I am about to extend my lease for another 2 years... I like the place... how close it is from the school is a huge benefit

if u have any more questions about it Private Message me

JKhelix said:
Thanks anyway hyman. I think I'm going to take the place sight unseen, with a short lease. I hope it is not a hole.

I guess that depends on your priorities (you know, besides a lot of studying lol). Alden Park/School Lane House are both walking distance to school, so that's pretty convenient. On the flip side, both are close to a pretty shady area of Philly and besides school, theres not too much that close by in terms of restaurants, stores, stuff to do etc. Manayunk is only about a 5 min drive and Main Street is awesome...bars, restaurants, fun stores, Starbucks and other coffee places to study. It's a lil bit of a nicer area and theres a lot of recent grads/young people living there, so its always a good time on the weekends. There is something to be said for being able to walk home from the bars....

So between Manayunk and Center City, which has the better nightlife/stuff to do? I suppose the rail station makes it convenient to visit both without a car, no?

Sidenote, has anyone received any further information on school, i.e. medical stuff we need before school starts, more financial aid stuff that we need to fill out, etc?

yellowpersuazio said:
So between Manayunk and Center City, which has the better nightlife/stuff to do? I suppose the rail station makes it convenient to visit both without a car, no?

Sidenote, has anyone received any further information on school, i.e. medical stuff we need before school starts, more financial aid stuff that we need to fill out, etc?

I talked to the admissions people a week or two ago. They said they would be sending out some info "soon". I spoke to finaid yesterday. They said they would be sending their info in late July.

So this question is for the people from the west coast...are you bringing your car and if so how are you getting your car there? Driving it or getting it towed on a flatbed or something?

Hey guys,

I just got an email today about orientation. The packet should be coming "soon" :D . I am actually selling my car I have in California, and planning to find a car out there in the east coast. I've been checking craigslist and stuff, and i want to get a subaru :love: impreza? But I have a friend who is driving to Baltimore from California. I am not sure of how long it will take and how much gas would be, but it might be a good drive with the right company. I understand you can get your car shipped for about 500$. Which isn't too bad if you have a nice car you don't want to give up. I have a 95 civic which i am happy to part with. Well good look with your ordeal! 2 months left?! :)

m1prsche said:
So this question is for the people from the west coast...are you bringing your car and if so how are you getting your car there? Driving it or getting it towed on a flatbed or something?

Polska,

I messaged you with my phone number ...let me know if you got it

I am from Southern Cali, and I am most likely going to ship my car to philly. I got a couple of quotes and the cheapest quote i got was $945. The most expensive was $1250 :eek: I was thinking about possibly selling my car and just leasing a car for four years over there, but...i like my car... I've only had it for a year and I do not want to part with it.... :( I will probably not drive to philly.

Hey everyone,

After much discussion and deliberation, I've decided to go to NYMC. Thanks for everyones input and good luck at Drexel.

Hey everyone. I am going to be at Drexel this fall as well. I had a chance to read over everyone's posts for the most part and it looks like I'm not going to be the only one there who comes straight out of undegrad. That's a relief since just about everyone at all my interviews was around 26 or so, maybe one or two college students. Anyways, I thought I should post something especialy when people started talking about watching House MD, 24, and Lost. With some free time on my hands this summer, I've been watching these shows on DVD. Basically, I want to be just like House when I'm done with school (minus the pimp cane). Well, if anyone wants to chat my AIM is jamen316. See everyone soon. Later on...

I'm also straight out from undergrad and am looking for a roomate, and also just to talk to other people who are moving out from california. I've never been to the eastcoast (minus my interview) so I would appreciate any advice! My SN is LadyJen55 if you want to chat.

Hey everyone, I'll be heading out to Drexel in August as well to do the IFM. I just secured a "large studio" at Alden Park, which was the best of all options at least for year 1. I was orginially part of the class of 2009 but decided to defer for year, so I'm way excited to get started finally. I did undergrad in Cleveland at Case Western Reserve, but I'm a Pittsburgh native so it's great that I get to stay in Pennsylvania. Some things I like: music, running, biking if I'd ever fix my bike, Scrubs, coffee, reading, cooking (I'm totally addicted to Food Network!) watching movies, theater, concerts, and going out with friends but mostly to eat great food and drink great wine...

Definitely excited to meet everyone and finally get started.

Oh yeah, my name's Dan and my AIM sn is the same as my sdn name.

See yinz in August (Sometimes the Pittsburghese comes out... sorry)

Hey, I just got 1 BR appartment in Alden Park the other day. Is anyone else going to be living there? I heard that a lot of the med students live there, but I know that some of the places on Queen Lane are pretty well occupied too.

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if it is going to be necessary to have a car while attending Drexel? I have noticed that it is in a very suburban setting and that for trips to the grocery store and such it will be most convenient to have a car. I have only been to Drexel for my interview, so I am new to the area. I have also seen some threads on places to live around Drexel. Most apartments seem to be very old, does anyone know of anyplace newer that is close to the school? Any input you all have would be much appreciated. Thanks!

biyanir said:
So, I was wondering how useful a tablet pc would be in medical school compared to a laptop. Is having the ability to make your own notes directly onto the lecture notes THAT useful in Medical School or is having a laptop sufficent? Any thoughts...? Anyone know what would be best at Drexel?

Until recently, I was spending a LOT of time considering various laptop options. I was trying to make the same decision, as to tablet vs. traditional laptop, and I wound up abandoning the idea of using a tablet pc. In clinical years, you'll be using a PDA anyway, and I found that most tablets on the market right now just don't offer the same performance as a traditional laptop.

I wound up picking a laptop that I think is a GREAT buy... I was interested in: (a) high performance, such as intel core duo technology and lots of memory; (b) high capacity hard drive, such as 100GB+ (which is rare on a tablet pc); (c) form factor, with overall weight very low (below 5 lbs) for portability; (d) display, with crisp, very bright widescreen LCD (reasonably sized) and with a good graphics chipset; (e) good battery life.

I finally found a laptop that met all these - it's 13.3" widescreen WXGA, 1.83 Ghz Core Duo, 1 GB RAM, 100 GB HDD, Hybrid 128 MB nVidia GeForce / Intel Accelerator graphics (you can manually switch between chipsets), 5 hours battery life on standard battery (more on large-capacity battery), and finally it weighs in at just 4.3 lbs!

biyanir said:
Hey guys,

Does anyone know if it is going to be necessary to have a car while attending Drexel? I have noticed that it is in a very suburban setting and that for trips to the grocery store and such it will be most convenient to have a car. I have only been to Drexel for my interview, so I am new to the area. I have also seen some threads on places to live around Drexel. Most apartments seem to be very old, does anyone know of anyplace newer that is close to the school? Any input you all have would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I will have a car while at Drexel, and I'm more than happy to offer carpools to the grocery store :D

I'm new to the area too, though. I only know of two shopping areas that are close to the school.

I just finished my my master's at Drexel, doing the IMS program(which is basically the first year at Drexel med). I was at Queen Lane a lot and yes, many of the places are old and a little ghetto. If money isnt an issue, I would live in Alden Park. It's pricey, but nice. People live in School Lane house, but the management there is sketchy and I don't like dealing with people like that. Some students live in multiperson houses right around the school. And there are always the Charlwin apts, right next to the school that are really nice and really convenient. I know some M1s lived in Center City by Hahnemann and then took the shuttle in for tests, and lectures if they had to. But honestly, you can watch the lectures online, especially on 1.4(or higher) speed for the slow and boring lecturers and be done faster than the normal 50 minute lecture. Thus if city life is a must for you, you can definitely make it work.

As far as a car is concerned, I would have one if I was there. There is NOTHING to do around the med school. Granted the shuttle will take you into the city, but it doesn't run on weekends, holidays, or past 10pm at night. There is a septa regional rail stop at queen lane as well, but I wouln't take the train alone at night as a girl. For grocery shopping it's a must. I believe the closest grocery shop not in the ghetto is the Acme in Bala Cynwood, right off City Ave. There are also some restaurants over there, an LA Fitness and a few dept. stores. Manayunk is also not too far, as well as King of Prussia -both have cute stores, movie theaters and restaurants that are nice. I would have been miserable if I had no car there, or at least not known someone with a car.

Thanks for all of the advice guys, it has really helped. I still have a few questions though:

As I have said before, I am from out of state and won't be able to go to Philly until right before orientation. Is it better to sign a lease now to a place I haven't seen yet, or only seen pictures of or heard about? or... Is it better to wait and sign a lease in the days leading up to orientation... do you think there will be any good apartments still available around the area that late? Thanks in advance.

Has anyone recieved any info about financial aid awards yet? I just got half of tuition charged to my bursar account on one.drexel.edu and was wondering if anyone else experienced the same thing.

What happened to the introductions? Come on, be brave!

power10n2 said:
Has anyone recieved any info about financial aid awards yet? I just got half of tuition charged to my bursar account on one.drexel.edu and was wondering if anyone else experienced the same thing.

What happened to the introductions? Come on, be brave!

I called Financial Aid today and the lady told me that the mailing about signing the promissary note for the Stafford Loans will be sent out in late July. So I don't think you have to worry about paying the tuition charge until all of the funds from financial aid are released into our accounts.

did anyone pick drexel over nymc? what was your deciding factor?

sorry for the annoying post..just really need some input.

thanks.

Hi guys,
I will also be joining you all in August. I am unsure of what to do about an apt and will probably go apt hunting next week. Please feel free to post places that I should check out. I am also new to the area. I went to the University of Georgia for undergrad and I have been living in Hershey, PA this past year. If anyone would like to go apt hunting with me or even be my roommate just PM me. If anyone is bored and would like to chat again just pm me and I'll give you my digits. If anyone loves the World Cup and wants to cheer on Brazil with me let me know. Blurb about ourselves: female/24/born in Brazil

Wait until you see the place. I live in philly right now, and I did the apartment search not all that long ago. Alot of places sound amazing... and then you see them! I actually went to see one place that was completely gutted, and the landlord kept saying "imagine a kitchen here" and "imagine a bedroom here". It only took me three full days to find my place. There are tons of options. Your best bet is probably craigslist. Good luck!

biyanir said:
Thanks for all of the advice guys, it has really helped. I still have a few questions though:

As I have said before, I am from out of state and won't be able to go to Philly until right before orientation. Is it better to sign a lease now to a place I haven't seen yet, or only seen pictures of or heard about? or... Is it better to wait and sign a lease in the days leading up to orientation... do you think there will be any good apartments still available around the area that late? Thanks in advance.

Hey everybody, I was just out in Philly to look for housing, and signed for a great 2-bedroom ACROSS THE STREET from the med school in one of the large houses. My fiancee and I are planning to share the larger bedroom, and we're looking for a male or female roommate for the second bedroom.

We're asking for $450 (out of $1100 total rent) and a third of utilities.

The place is run by a very nice Greek grandmother who has been renting out to med students for quite a few years now. The place is well kept, smells good, and is quite large for what you'd expect. The living room itself is at least 20x20 with a large bay window. It's on the second floor with a side entrance if you're worried about unwanted visitors. It comes with a full kitchen and refrigerator. The previous residents had cable and phone hookups installed. The best part about the place (besides the space) is location, since the medical school is literally across Queen Lane, and the main entrance is about 100 yards down the sidewalk. It would be ideal for anybody who is taking classes at the Queen Lane campus or takes the Drexel Shuttle to Center City.

I'm enrolled in the IMS post-bacc program this year and will be taking school very seriously. My fiancee will be working for a nonprofit and probably going to school herself downtown. We're definately not partyers, but we're very considerate and like company.

Here are some photos and enjoy the rest of your summer,

-Buck

[email protected]

http://www.costcophotocenter.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=10029954/a=22806986/t_=22806986

Are you guys planning to do the welcome stuff that first week. It looks fun, but $100.00! I probably will go, just wondering what others think...

Anyone planning on living in Manayunk and/or looking for a roommate to live in Manayunk? Seems like a nice area, especially along main st. and isn't directly across from campus so you can get away for a little bit if needed.

Punkinhead said:
Are you guys planning to do the welcome stuff that first week. It looks fun, but $100.00! I probably will go, just wondering what others think...

For a $100 they should provide us with a personal oompah-loompah

femme said:
did anyone pick drexel over nymc? what was your deciding factor?

sorry for the annoying post..just really need some input.

thanks.

I did. I decided to go with Drexel over NYMC because Drexel's faculty seemed more friendly and the students more happy. That was my opinion when I got there during my interviews. Also, they took care of me more at Drexel and whenever I talk to Drexel's staff over the phone, they're more attentive. Despite all that, some people choose NYMC over Drexel and are happy with the decision, so it's wherever you think you fit in the most.

California2006 said:
I'm also straight out from undergrad and am looking for a roomate, and also just to talk to other people who are moving out from california. I've never been to the eastcoast (minus my interview) so I would appreciate any advice! My SN is LadyJen55 if you want to chat.

Looking at the cost of buying in Philadelphia the things we already have (ie: bed, desk , chairs, kitchen), it's near the cost of moving everything out in a truck. Anybody interested in sharing a truck on the way out from California, as it looks to be around $1500 for a truck and I'd estimate $1000 in gas.

Looking to take off around July 10th and drive a week or so to get there. My lease starts on the 15th, so I can probably store your stuff until you arrive. Although moving it any distance then may be another problem. Please contact me if you are interested in saving some money this way.

[email protected]

Polska said:
Spending $38K on tuition per year and your worried about $100 when it comes included with a cruise and food and open bar?
That'll probably be the only portion of money that I will enjoy spending while in school..

Seriously. All the events they have lined up sound fun. Unless you hate fun, that $100 will be well spent.

dsprague12 said:
Anyone planning on living in Manayunk and/or looking for a roommate to live in Manayunk? Seems like a nice area, especially along main st. and isn't directly across from campus so you can get away for a little bit if needed.

I just graduated from Temple dental this year and I lived in the Roxborough/East Falls section of Philly. Its about a three minute drive from Manayunk (no more than 2 miles).I have a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment for rent. Newly renovated kitchen with new appliances, new bathrooms, large living room, dining room. Access to swimming pool, parking for two vehicles in a secured gated lot. ALL UTILITIES INCLUDED basic cable too, will leave apartment partly furnished-3 piece leather sofa, coffee table, dining room table with chairs and a large desk...email me at [email protected]
Mark