DREXEL Med Class of 2010!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone,

Just got my acceptance yesterday. I am def. choosing drexel, i was really impressed during my interview.
\

Members don't see this ad.

Hyman said:
I interviewed at NYMC and thought the school was really nice and LOVED that they had a great, super rich hospital (westchester med?) basically on the same campus. One thing that may be a little off color to say, but actually did turn me off to NYMC is it's strong religious (jesuit) base. There was a controversy there 2 years ago about the school's ban of a LGBT (homosexual) student group while the school did give funding to many other very similar student run organizations representing other minority / interest groups. You can get more details about the story with a quick google search for nymc jesuit, or nymc lgbt. I know this is a little thing and wouldnt affect the education that you could recieve, but hearing about it left a bad taste in my mouth. I myself am not gay, but I always thought that out of everyone in our society, doctors should be the most accepting and compassionate. I dont question that the faculty and students at NYMC are wonderful people, but I thought that that one decision was sending a bad message. I'm a big fan of religion, but science and religion clash so much that it seems they shouldn't be combined? (does that school support stem cell research? etc) Bear in mind, I have a strong drexel bias. :)

Thats the weird part. They do support stem cell research as its going on in their research campus and we even got a bunch of highlighted news articles about it on our interview day. Yet they wouldnt support the LBGT group. BUT the faculty and students got the administration to reverse that decision and now they are funded. The faculty, i.e. the doctors had nothing to do with that decision. The administration involves some members of the church and that was the reason behind the decision.
I didnt get a relgious vibe at all at NYMC where I will probably be attending. I think NYMC's weakness is that they dont sell the school well enough. It has so much to offer but no one knows it because the webpage stinks, they need a viewbook to give on interview day, and so forth. For example Westchester Med Center is a trauma level 1, 1000 bed, cutting edge oncology care, serving 4 million people hospital for the entire hudson area. Wouldnt know that unless you went to the hospital webpage as NYMC doesnt even tell you....

BOBODR said:
Thats the weird part. They do support stem cell research as its going on in their research campus and we even got a bunch of highlighted news articles about it on our interview day. Yet they wouldnt support the LBGT group. BUT the faculty and students got the administration to reverse that decision and now they are funded. The faculty, i.e. the doctors had nothing to do with that decision. The administration involves some members of the church and that was the reason behind the decision.
I didnt get a relgious vibe at all at NYMC where I will probably be attending. I think NYMC's weakness is that they dont sell the school well enough. It has so much to offer but no one knows it because the webpage stinks, they need a viewbook to give on interview day, and so forth. For example Westchester Med Center is a trauma level 1, 1000 bed, cutting edge oncology care, serving 4 million people hospital for the entire hudson area. Wouldnt know that unless you went to the hospital webpage as NYMC doesnt even tell you....

I agree totally, that was just one little thing that threw me for a loop. The dorms did look really nice and convenient there. I toured the hospital with one of the residents and was blown away by how cutting edge it was, they had just built a new ICU or CCU that looked like the bridge from the freaking starship enterprise. What I heard is that a lot of the super rich folks from the city live up in westchester.

Drexel has clubs for every interest group you can think of really. There are groups for each area of medicine you could want to go into, outdoors groups, intramural sports teams that play other schools in the area, student gov. basically anything you could think of...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hyman said:
I agree totally, that was just one little thing that threw me for a loop. The dorms did look really nice and convenient there. I toured the hospital with one of the residents and was blown away by how cutting edge it was, they had just built a new ICU or CCU that looked like the bridge from the freaking starship enterprise. What I heard is that a lot of the super rich folks from the city live up in westchester.

Drexel has clubs for every interest group you can think of really. There are groups for each area of medicine you could want to go into, outdoors groups, intramural sports teams that play other schools in the area, student gov. basically anything you could think of...

Westchester county is one of the most expensive counties in the country....

NYMC also has all of those clubs/interest groups. But enough about NYMC as this is the Drexel thread. :oops:

toxin said:
Hey everyone,

Just got my acceptance yesterday. I am def. choosing drexel, i was really impressed during my interview.
\

congrats toxin. drexel's a great school.

Did you choose Drexel over washU or SLU? I'm deciding between SLU and Drexel and figured you might know something about SLU. Are students satisfied with SLU?

Anybody know anything about mountain biking in the area? I heard Wissahickon Park has some rad trails. True? How far is this from campus, Chestnut Hill, Manayunk? Thanks.

Anyone else into outdoor stuff? I'm not a big fan of tv, except the Sopranos.

Just wondering where everyone has been looking for housing. Any recommendations?

Im also looking for housing ...and a roomate, so if anyone is interested msg me...

29 y/o male here

Hey yall,

I'm going to go apartment hunting on June 11th for a few days, and was wondering if anyone wanted to join the hunt.

Members don't see this ad :)
toxin said:
Hey everyone,

\
hey toxin, i'm still waiting to hear from drexel...i was wondering what day you interviewed?

interviewed on april 13th :)

you?

How is everyones apt. hunt going?

Anyone living in that area that could dispense some advice would be great :)

hey guys, I just got accepted to Temple off of their waiting list. Give me some reasons to stay with Drexel, I think I'm leaning towards Temple....I have one week to decide.

rup47 said:
hey guys, I just got accepted to Temple off of their waiting list. Give me some reasons to stay with Drexel, I think I'm leaning towards Temple....I have one week to decide.

I may be wrong but . . . Drexel is the only US allopathic school with an "X" in its name. So, its got that "X factor" thing going for it.

rup47 said:

Less moltov cocktails are hurled at you while walking to drexel. Unless you're into that kinda thing. :)

Hyman said:
Less moltov cocktails are hurled at you while walking to drexel. Unless you're into that kinda thing. :)
:laugh:

well. I think any medical school will give you a great education. I mean, unlike undergrad schools, the range is incredibly small. (Personally, I'm just amazed that I got in anywhere after reading how half the people on mdapplicants spent years saving the world.... btw i tried to be funny, no one be offended) Both Temple and Drexel are private and expensive so I think the only real difference is whether you think you'd learn better at either program and whichever place you think you'd both feel comfortable at and have fun at. I mean, med school should be fun too. So, good luck with your decision. I think I talked to you online. And despite you having a horrible loyalty to a hockey team I despise, I hope that you choose Drexel because I'm all about having interesting people as classmates.

Oh and also, keep the introductions going... I thought it was fun and interesting seeing what people would write about themselves. Be brave. i've talked to 4 people already and they all were a lot of fun. So it's all good.

how about we start an AIM screenname list, it would be interesting to chat with future classmates b4 we get there,

ill go first,

powerard2000 (Adrian)

Hey guys! I just got accepted at Drexel today....I absolutely loved it there so I will probably be declining my Temple acceptance on Monday. And rup47 to answer your question...I really liked Drexel because of their integrated program as well as having every single lecture posted online. Temple's area kinda sketched me out...but i'm sure it's a great school. p.s. how do i put the Drexel Med Class of 2010 at the end of my posts?

Thanks for the feedback guys...

Regarding the post about finding an apt - I just found one last Friday. Since I'm from Pittsburgh, I had the luxury of being able to drive up and walk around/look at places. If you're from out of state it's tough to scout the area without actually being there.

I wanted to live somewhere walkable from the school. From my scouting of the area, this is what I've found:
-the school itself is in East Falls, a fairly nice residential type of neighborhood also home to Philadelphia University

-directly on the other side of Wissahickon (main drag that goes down next to the school perpindicular to Queen Lane) is Germantown, which is kind of patchy from what I saw (some OK areas, some not so good areas) Plenty of inexpensive housing here, though I wouldn't recommend it.

-there are some apts available right across the street from the school on Queen Lane, but not too many. One buildling I looked at was Queen Lane Manor. There are also a few places that have 2BR houses only right next to the school.

-down Wissahickon away from the city, there are a number of high rises like Alden Park, Hathaway House, Presidential Apts, School Lane House - all within about 5-10 mins walking time. Seems fairly safe and Alden Park and Hatahway look VERY nice (though pricey), though I'm not sure about walking down Wissahickon at night.

-if you travel down Queen Lane past the school deeper into East Falls around Conrad Street and Henry Ave, there is a bunch of housing, a couple of mini markets/restaurants (not much but a little bit). It seems clean, fairly quiet, and pretty safe there. This is where I wanted to live, I had a hard time finding an affordable 1 BR place, but finally did. I found it on craigslist.

-Manayunk and Roxborough are not too far away, and have a lot more in terms of restaurants/bars/stores, though I believe you'd need to drive from these areas.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions - I have a few places I kept the phone #'s from too.

Congrats, when did you interview? Did Drexel start sending decisions for those that interviewed in mid-April? Thanks

gainor848 said:
Hey guys! I just got accepted at Drexel today....I absolutely loved it there so I will probably be declining my Temple acceptance on Monday. And rup47 to answer your question...I really liked Drexel because of their integrated program as well as having every single lecture posted online. Temple's area kinda sketched me out...but i'm sure it's a great school. p.s. how do i put the Drexel Med Class of 2010 at the end of my posts?

I've just accepted my offer to Temple and withdrew from Drexel...good luck to all of you

Hey everyone and congrats on your acceptance to Drexel. You will have a great time while here. The student bodies are usually made up of a great bunch of people that are very helping of each other, sharing notes, websites, etc.

I just finished my 2nd year there and currently procrastinating from studying for step 1. Any questions, just PM me

Apartments: if you want to live near school, meaning either right across the street or walking distance, there are plenty of places
People live in queen lane manor, carlton park(both across from school) and another i cant remember next door to school. Walking distance to school includes houses people rent rooms in in the area, so check out the housing and classified ads on website on drexel. Also, walking or at least very close drive is Alden Park, School Lane House, Hathaway house. I hear good and bad about all those, so its really your preference when you see it. Alden is overpriced in my opinion but might be a little more safe because its gated with security.

You could also choose like some to live about a 10 min drive or so fromschool down Henry Avenue in places that are nice. Henry on the Park(exp w.o a roomate), Summit Park, Valley High(I think), a little closer to school is Dupont Towers(cheap with roomate)

Ok, gotta get back..any ques please let me know, ill try to check back on breaks i take

congrats again

Hi all!

I'll be joining you at Drexel this August, and I'm really excited!!!

My name is Aditi, I'm from Los Angeles, and I normally don't use so many exclamation marks in real life. I saw that someone (registered user?) was interested in outdoorsy stuff; count me in for that!! :)
Oh, and I'll be joining IFM.

I'm not sure what else to say, besides my SN- cornelia16a.

See you in August!

Hey guys,

I will most likely be joining you in August as well. I'm from Seattle and will be graduating from the University of Washington very soon. Seems like many people on here have similar interests to me... sports, outdoorsy stuff, TV shows such as 24 and Lost etc. Will be seeing you all very soon. IM=Biyanir

Rahul

So, I was wondering how useful a tablet pc would be in medical school compared to a laptop. Is having the ability to make your own notes directly onto the lecture notes THAT useful in Medical School or is having a laptop sufficent? Any thoughts...? Anyone know what would be best at Drexel?

ARTOFHAPPINESS said:
Congrats, when did you interview? Did Drexel start sending decisions for those that interviewed in mid-April? Thanks
Thanks! I interviewed on April 4th and the letter was postmarked on the 18th??

Hey I just got accepted to NYMC today. I'm still leaning towards Drexel, but now I have a choice. I am not really sure what to consider. I remember someone posting the same topic, but any other comments about this?

biyanir said:
Hey guys,

I will most likely be joining you in August as well. I'm from Seattle and will be graduating from the University of Washington very soon. Seems like many people on here have similar interests to me... sports, outdoorsy stuff, TV shows such as 24 and Lost etc. Will be seeing you all very soon. IM=Biyanir

Rahul

Yeah sports and outdoors stuff!

On another note, did anyone get some weird payment plan brochure from Drexel today? What's the deal with that? Looks like a racket to me.

hey guys,

what's drexel's board passing rate? and does anyone have their match list?

~~~still deciding.... :scared: ~~~~~

Hey guys...I was looking online and saw that Drexel has on campus housing for drexel students at Stiles Alumni hall (http://www.drexel.edu/cchc/studentlife/default.asp?id=136) they have 1,2, and 3 bedroom apartments...do any med students actually live in these apartments? Do you think it's cheaper to live in these as opposed to off-campus apartments. If any drexel students have some input i'd really appreciate it!!

gainor848 said:
Hey guys...I was looking online and saw that Drexel has on campus housing for drexel students at Stiles Alumni hall (http://www.drexel.edu/cchc/studentlife/default.asp?id=136) they have 1,2, and 3 bedroom apartments...do any med students actually live in these apartments? Do you think it's cheaper to live in these as opposed to off-campus apartments. If any drexel students have some input i'd really appreciate it!!

I've been in those before and they are basically Exactly what you would expect when you hear "dorm apartments". They're average all around and have a kinda institutional feel, not bad though. They're in center city right next to hahnemann and the shuttle pick up to queen lane. I dont know of any med students that live there but im sure there's a couple.

Hi everyone,

I recently got into SUNY Downstate, my state school so I have decided to go there instead of Drexel. Thanks to all of you for your help.

Hey Folks,
My name is John and I will be joining you this fall in the PIL program (for now). About that, Does anybody know if Drexel breaks down STEP I scores by PIL v.s. IFM??? Any way I am currently in sunny New Mexico and I am trying to arrange my living situation in Philly. I spoke to Randolph at Queen lane Manor yesterday and I might rent a 1 bedroom over there without seeing the place. I've noticed alot of people saying that students live over there. Is anybody on this board currently living over there, or have a friend over there?? I would realy like to talk to someone in the complex now if at all possible. Thanks for the help guys. I can't wait to get this Med School thing rolling.

Just wondering how is everyone doing with apt. hunting? Especially people that are not going to visit b4 orientation starts. I am planning to get there around the 20th and find a place then....anyone from that area knows how hard is to find a place then?

I’m thinking about leasing at Stiles Alumni Hall, but there are only 2 and 3 bedrooms available. I was wondering if anyone is looking for a roommate and is interested in living at Stiles. If you are, please PM me or e-mail me ([email protected])

Hi all,

Does anyone know if med students generally live in the School Lane House? I was thinking of booking it before I saw it, because I probably wouldn't get to PA til a week or two before school starts.

Polska said:
You can also use this map

Philadelphia Apartment Map

and zoom in on the area you want to live in.. in my case.. Around the college of medicine.. Shows all the apartments in the area and they're ratings..

Alden Park seems to be the best rated.. but are a little bit expensive.. (at least for WI standards)..

Thanks! :thumbup:

I am new to this sight and was wondering if there was some sort of a drexel housing forum for people looking for roomates/apartments? if anyone knows anything, let me know. Thanks :)

Hey Polska,

I am from Wisconsin as well...Madison! Moving to philly probably around july 20th...what about you?
I am also looking for a roomate and you seem like a cool guy...after all you like football..perhaps we can meet up for a coffee and chat about being possible roomies
let me know ?

Hyman, Do you know anybody living in Queen Lane Manor? I need to get my housing locked down soon.