Drexel MSP/IMS 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had my phone interview last week and called in on Tuesday to find out if my app was complete. Apparently they still did not update my file with my letter of rec that was sent two weeks ago, and I was a little disappointed. However, I called this afternoon and they said my file is complete and its being reviewed by the committee. The person on the phone said that they will email me next wk. So I feel better that they are still reviewing applications, so there is still hope! :luck:

I am seriously hoping they are behind on interviews. I plan to call either tomorrow or Monday to ask if they are still interviewing. Anyone think that's a bad idea?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm submitting my application at the very last minute - today, by hand. I submitted all of my LOR & transcripts weeks ago. We'll see what happens. Best of luck to you all!

I am seriously hoping they are behind on interviews. I plan to call either tomorrow or Monday to ask if they are still interviewing. Anyone think that's a bad idea?

i am guessing they are waiting until all of the last minute applications are in (today). last year's thread appears to have quite a few people accepted in july. not necessarily a bad idea, but maybe unnecessary?

Members don't see this ad :)
hi,

ive found a few nice places right near the ims building for about 750 to 900 per person. i have fairly high standards so most of them have great kitchens, tiles/hardwood floors, clean, beautiful bathrooms, etc. i need a roommate though. are there seriously no ladies looking to find a roommate and a place?

also, i was curious to know if anybody heard anything about stiles hall? is it a good option? if nobody gets back to me on roommate stuff, i might need to settle for stiles and i want to know if it's crappy or not. thanks.

Hey coolcat..

I'm attending the MSP program in Philly this year. I live right outside Philly, so I'm still trying to decide whether or not I want to commute or live down the city. If I decide to move to the city, I may be interested in rooming with you. I've heard mixed reviews about Stiles. I'll definitely let you know when I make a decision.

Is anyone else doing the MSP program in Philly??

Hey coolcat..

I'm attending the MSP program in Philly this year. I live right outside Philly, so I'm still trying to decide whether or not I want to commute or live down the city. If I decide to move to the city, I may be interested in rooming with you. I've heard mixed reviews about Stiles. I'll definitely let you know when I make a decision.

Is anyone else doing the MSP program in Philly??

Yeah I got accepted to the MSP program in Philly about 2 weeks ago. I haven't seen too many of us in this thread...mostly just IMS people. I'm really excited to get started. Never been to Philly before, but hopefully I'll like it. I will be staying in Stiles. What were the negative comments you heard about it?

Last edited:
What will you do if you do not get accepted?

I work full time in an ER as a technician. As far as being saturated in the medical profession, it doesn't get any better than this. I love the work, and this kind of medicine. It has likely had such a profound impact on me, I will pursue ER medicine as my field to practice. I plan to keep working, save for a rainy day, and save so I can offset the cost of Drexel. I will apply again, but is what I will be doing with this additional gap year going to be enough?

Last edited:
For those of you who don't want to pay $1000/mo,
I found a really nice place in northern liberty, 2miles away from the ims campus, newly built with clean kitchen and everything.
I got the one with private bath, but the other two are still available I think. I looked at many places, but nothing comes close to this place at this price.
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/roo/2473925506.html

Check it out

For those of you who don't want to pay $1000/mo,
I found a really nice place in northern liberty, 2miles away from the ims campus, newly built with clean kitchen and everything.
I got the one with private bath, but the other two are still available I think. I looked at many places, but nothing comes close to this place at this price.
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/roo/2473925506.html

Check it out

wow. looks good. I get word tomorrow whether I'm in or not for IMS -- fingers crossed! Why anyone would want to live in Stiles when you can find a nice place like this for half the price, is beyond me.

thanks for sharing bkprodigy!

wow. looks good. I get word tomorrow whether I'm in or not for IMS -- fingers crossed! Why anyone would want to live in Stiles when you can find a nice place like this for half the price, is beyond me.

thanks for sharing bkprodigy!

No problem. I guess only reason people choose Stiles is because of the convenience of the location. I actually prefer biking a little. I did an extensive research, but it seems like other places that are usually inferior in quality come close to ~$800 including utilities.
I wouldn't mind having 2 IMS students occupying the remaining rooms, so we can study, share the pain, etc.

Yeah I got accepted to the MSP program in Philly about 2 weeks ago. I haven't seen too many of us in this thread...mostly just IMS people. I'm really excited to get started. Never been to Philly before, but hopefully I'll like it. I will be staying in Stiles. What were the negative comments you heard about it?

Great! Yeah, I haven't seen too many posts about the MSP program in this forum. I'm excited to get started as well. Philly is a great city with a lot of character. Hopefully you like it! Where are you from?

As far as Stiles goes.. I just heard that it was like college all over again and that it's not worth all the money you have to pay. But, it's definitely a convenient location.

Hey if anyone gets accepted late and needs a decent /cheap place to live. I have a vacant room up by the queen lane campus. I did IMS last yr and me and another first year @ drexel could use a third roommate in a house. We are two easy going guys, and it will be a very chill, relaxed, pro-study atmosphere. Yes, IMS and Hahnemann is in center city, but the free drexel shuttle will be within walking distance, plenty of parking, etc etc. PM me if you're interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
woo hoo!! just got the word -- I'm in for IMS! Will be going up most likely this weekend to check out housing in Philly.

Last edited:
sadly I got an email today stating that my msp file has been placed on 'hold' status :( Does anyone know what that means? It sounds worse than being waitlisted. I'm not sure what I can do now. Does anyone know what are the chances from being moved from hold to accepted?

sadly I got an email today stating that my msp file has been placed on 'hold' status :( Does anyone know what that means? It sounds worse than being waitlisted. I'm not sure what I can do now. Does anyone know what are the chances from being moved from hold to accepted?

May I ask, did you have a phone interview?
Otherwise, Not sure what to tell you. I would call for clarification.

I called today, accidentally dialing the number for the Senior Associate Dean (G. Soslau). I was surprised to reach him because I thought the number I dialed was for the main office. He was kind, he took my name, and said someone would be contacting me either way.

I just hope I didn't hurt my chances!

Good luck!

Last edited:
May I ask, did you have a phone interview?
Otherwise, Not sure what to tell you. I would call for clarification.

I called today, accidentally dialing the number for the Senior Associate Dean (G. Soslau) . I was surprised to reach him, because I thought the number I dialed was for the main office. He was kind, he took my name, and said someone would be contacting me either way.

I just hope I didn't hurt my chances!

Good luck!

yes, I had a phone interview two weeks ago.

Still nothing and its been three weeks since my interview:confused:. guess i'll give it till Wednesday then call.

Congrats, Soccer!! :)

woo hoo!! just got the word -- I'm in for IMS! Will be going up most likely this weekend to check out housing in Philly. For anyone in the program(s): Has the office sent out a list of people looking for roommates yet?

You should call back and ask, it doesn't hurt. If you know specifically why you are on hold you can improve or at least look like you are trying to improve on that "weak" area.

No problem. I guess only reason people choose Stiles is because of the convenience of the location. I actually prefer biking a little. I did an extensive research, but it seems like other places that are usually inferior in quality come close to ~$800 including utilities.
I wouldn't mind having 2 IMS students occupying the remaining rooms, so we can study, share the pain, etc.

http://www.padmapper.com/show.php?type=0&id=79920285&src=main

this one is pretty sweet. it's a 4 BR right around the block from campus

Hey guys,

Looks like I will be in Philadelphia next Fall for IMS. I decided on Stiles because I won't have to worry about anything like utilities, bills, finding out how best to get to campus lol etc. Anybody else living in Stiles and if so have you gotten your room assignment yet?

Also, have you guys gotten any emails or letters about orientation. I paid my deposit and sent my immunization and transcript, but no new emails for me.

Thanks a lot for any responses!

Hi everybody. Former IMSer here (Sacramento). Congrats to those of you already accepted into one of the Drexel programs. For those of you waiting to hear back or wondering if there is still time to apply, I know that the Sacramento IMS program didn't fill up last year so there is probably still plenty of time. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about the Sacramento program and I will do my best to help.

I just got a call from the director and was told that they really like my app, but feel like I am a better fit for IHS because of my undergrad GPA (from 15 years ago:(). Does anybody know anything about IHS? I was told that not all people are looking to go to MD school, but about 35% are getting into MD programs from the IHS.

I just got a call from the director and was told that they really like my app, but feel like I am a better fit for IHS because of my undergrad GPA (from 15 years ago:(). Does anybody know anything about IHS? I was told that not all people are looking to go to MD school, but about 35% are getting into MD programs from the IHS.

I am surprised they got back to you so quickly. Are you applying for the IMS or MSP? You submitted on the last day (7/8/11) correct? Did you phone interview? My application for the MSP was completed on 6/27/11 and I have not heard anything from them. I have called several times, given my name, and they say someone will be contacting me. Any advice on getting through to them?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am surprised they got back to you so quickly. Are you applying for the IMS or MSP? You submitted on the last day (7/8/11) correct? Did you phone interview? My application for the MSP was completed on 6/27/11 and I have not heard anything from them. I have called several times, given my name, and they say someone will be contacting me. Any advice on getting through to them?

Thanks!

I applied on Friday and was surprised to get a call today. I applied IMS and the director for IHS called me & said that she really liked my app and wants me to phone interview this week. I have no ideas or "tricks" for getting through. I am disappointed that my old gpa continues to haunt me, despite a strong upward trend. I am unsure if IHS is really going to get me where I need to be.

I applied on Friday and was surprised to get a call today. I applied IMS and the director for IHS called me & said that she really liked my app and wants me to phone interview this week. I have no ideas or "tricks" for getting through. I am disappointed that my old gpa continues to haunt me, despite a strong upward trend. I am unsure if IHS is really going to get me where I need to be.

I understand completely. My GPA is less than perfect.
I have been reading about the IHS program and I can understand your reservations. In the first line of this PDF to the Drexel Student Senate, http://www.drexel.edu/senate/proposals/DUCOM/IHSP/IHS_proposal.pdf , the program seems to distiguish itself as a place for pre-meds who will never reach their goal to attend medical school. Very worrisome.

Now if the following scenarios are possible like, [IHS --> MSP --> IMS (i.e. MBS) --> Med School] or [IHS --> IMS (i.e. MBS) --> Med School] then perhaps the IHS would be a good use of time. Any idea if these scenarios are possible?

As another business day draws to a close I am still in the dark about my Drexel MSP application. Anyone else out there apply to the MSP and yet to interview or hear anything from Drexel?

My main concern at this point is how should I handle leaving my Full-time job at an ER if I am accepted to start classes August 8th? The closer we come to approaching that date, the less time I have to notify them of my departure (ideal would be two weeks, right?). :shrug:

So i just called drexel to find out what was going on with my application. Turns out i'd been accepted since the end of June!!! :D The forward they sent me is dated June 28th that's one week after my interview. And I got no email and they said they couldn't reach me. Don't understand why they told me to just keep checking my email every time I called though:confused:. But now I only have until monday to send in my deposit!!

So i just called drexel to find out what was going on with my application. Turns out i'd been accepted since the end of June!!! :D The forward they sent me is dated June 28th that's one week after my interview. And I got no email and they said they couldn't reach me. Don't understand why they told me to just keep checking my email every time I called though:confused:. But now I only have until monday to send in my deposit!!

Congratulations! I have yet to hear from them for an interview but I have hope.

You should call back and ask, it doesn't hurt. If you know specifically why you are on hold you can improve or at least look like you are trying to improve on that "weak" area.

I called Drexel to find out why my file was put on hold and the person said its probably because of my gpa, but they do look at all the other material in the file too. She said the MSP class is filling up really quickly but they will review my file, so I am just going to have to wait....

What was your GPA?

I called Drexel to find out why my file was put on hold and the person said its probably because of my gpa, but they do look at all the other material in the file too. She said the MSP class is filling up really quickly but they will review my file, so I am just going to have to wait....

Congratulations!! What program did you get into?

Philly or Sac?

Philly. I don't know the first thing about Philly so I don't even know what neighbourhoods are around the school. Opting for public transport and any distance less than an hour away is good enough.

I think I'd be a horrible room mate so I'm looking for a studio or one bedroom.

Hey Trini,

There is a google philly map i think in the 2010-2011 ims thread (it might be one of the earlier drexel ims threads) that colors in each of the areas surrounding drexel IMS by safety. IMS is basically in Center City at Hannemahn Hospital. The med school is in east falls, which is near manayunk another young fun area about 15 min away from Center City.

I'm also probably going to be doing the MSP Program but I don't really know anything about the living situation. I saw people talking about Stiles (which I assume is the dorm where people live) but does anyone have any information about it, is it singles/roomates, how nice is it etc...? Is it in the downtown of Philly? And how far is it from the classes for the MSP Program

I'm also probably going to be doing the MSP Program but I don't really know anything about the living situation. I saw people talking about Stiles (which I assume is the dorm where people live) but does anyone have any information about it, is it singles/roomates, how nice is it etc...? Is it in the downtown of Philly? And how far is it from the classes for the MSP Program

I think Stiles is like a few minutes away walking distance. And, yes it is in center city/downtown Philly.

Stiles is across the street from class. I don't think its possible to live any closer unless you live somewhere down Cherry or something. It usually took me 5 min to walk from Stiles to being settled in my seat.

Hi! I know I am super late but I will be attending the MSP program in August and moving to Philly next week. I know absolutely no one there and kinda nervous but excited to take the next step to get to med school....Anyone coming from Alabama or the South?!

Hi! I know I am super late but I will be attending the MSP program in August and moving to Philly next week. I know absolutely no one there and kinda nervous but excited to take the next step to get to med school....Anyone coming from Alabama or the South?!

I'm coming for IMS from Georgia

For those of you,who'll be living in philly I have a twin bed,desk,dresser,chair and mirror for sale. I did msp last year and lived in stiles. Feel free to ask any questions regarding the program or anything else.

P.S. like everything else, you get what you put in

Anyone know if they are still doing MSP interviews?