Drexel MSP/IMS 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RawrSaidTheCat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I haven't seen any posts about the Drexel MSP or IMS program for this year. Anyone considering attending? Any interviews? Acceptances?

I've read a lot of the previous posts, but it sounded like things were changing to make the program better. I've heard both good and bad things from people who've done it on this forum. I've also seen people IRL get into great med schools from last year's group.

Anybody want to chime in?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I saw your post, and like you I'm also looking for more information from students who are in MSP or already completed the program.

So if anyone who's in MSP, how intensive is the program? If you give it your all and and really try can you do well in it? Meaning at Berkeley, sometimes no matter how hard I tried and really knew the material in the science classes, I still couldn't do well. Then when I took at other universities, that wasn't the case. I basically don't want a repeat of Berkeley again.

Does you MCAT score get better after the program?

So please, give me your input?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying to the MSP program at Drexel. Actually, I am filling out the application right now. Almost done!:)

Have not been able to find out too much about the program for this year. After realizing my application for this year is going to be received rather late in their cycle, I called the admissions office and spoke with someone who sounded like a student. I asked about the number of spots open, and she replied there are still spots open, thought I doubt she would have disuaded me even if the spots left were few.

My interests in the program came after a failed application cycle last year and knowing that this was the route my friend took to enter medical school. That friend is now beginning a residency in rehabilitative medicine at Temple University.

docsuzzy, if you search for MSP or IMS you'll see a lot of info. some people criticize the program, but others who have actually done it say good things about it. frankly, since it's 50-50, we won't know for sure until we try and i'm up for giving it a chance. sounds good imo.

welcome to the club, devenir! i love the name! :thumbup:

lol really?? nobody?! what's going on? :confused:

i applied and got in back in april. the interview was fairly laid back... seemed like they had set questions that they were going to ask and so it was a bit robotic. you don't get the feel that they are trying to get to know you. if you search in the past MSP threads there is a list of several interview questions.

i gave up my spot even though this was initially my first choice. after reading old reviews i decided to go elsewhere. i know that this program is a bit short staffed and so they don't really give much advising. you'll be on your own. plus it didn't look like most grads even end up going to drexel for med school. my impression was that they were more in it for the money than for my success. that could just be how i felt though. i also i heard that all of the classes are via satellite. i could be wrong so don't quote me on that...

this program has no guarantees or promises so it is a high risk situation. in addition you don't even get a degree after the 1st year... feel free to pm me with any q's about the interview process.

good luck to you! :)

Hey everyone!

I applied to MSP pretty late, submitted my application last week. I heard Drexel is pretty slow with compiling all of your transcripts, etc and processing them (from previous threads). So, now I'm just waiting for them to get back to me (hopefully it won't be so late that I've already decided to go to a different program).

Good luck everyone!

bienvenida doctora! yeah, it could take a bit for transcripts and stuff to get in. but, they do send u a postcard to tell you what info they have/they still need from you.

domo, yeah, i've read the same negative posts. but i've also read the positive ones. there aren't any programs that guarantee anything for students (except for DPMS?). the MSP doesn't do classes via satellite. but, i think the IMS program does.

thanks for telling us you gave up your spot. it might give us some hope. :xf:

i'm not necessarily in it for the degree as much as i am for showing that i can handle hard classes in a year or two.

true. most people don't end up at drexel med. some end up at tulane med, albert einstein med, etc, etc, etc.

thanks! good luck to you, too! :luck:

I just got in a week ago, have one more week to reply with an answer. I'm debating between this program and the Case Western Masters in Medical Physiology program. I'm completely torn and would love some insight over one or the other. However the Case program is brand-new so there's not much information out there.

Congrats to everyone who got in as well, and I'll possibly see you all there!

bienvenida doctora! yeah, it could take a bit for transcripts and stuff to get in. but, they do send u a postcard to tell you what info they have/they still need from you.

domo, yeah, i've read the same negative posts. but i've also read the positive ones. there aren't any programs that guarantee anything for students (except for DPMS?). the MSP doesn't do classes via satellite. but, i think the IMS program does.

thanks for telling us you gave up your spot. it might give us some hope. :xf:

i'm not necessarily in it for the degree as much as i am for showing that i can handle hard classes in a year or two.

true. most people don't end up at drexel med. some end up at tulane med, albert einstein med, etc, etc, etc.

thanks! good luck to you, too! :luck:

I'm in it for the MCAT improvement, and a little bit for the gpa boost. I just got my acceptance to the Midwestern University (Downer's Grove) Biomedical Sciences Program :). I also applied to PCOM in addition to Drexel. But Drexel's my top choice.

Hey everyone! I was accepted into the MSP program about a month ago and have since send in my deposit. Yes, there are negative reviews of the program as well as positive reviews. But, I believe the program can be a success. I personally know 3 individuals (now medical students/residents) that completed this program and loved it. I look forward to meeting anyone else planning to attend the program!

I called Drexel this morning, and they said they still have plenty of spots available (i'm really surprised..it's mid-june).

also @RawrSaidthecat: just got my postcard today, as you said I would :D. Now, the waiting game...

I called Drexel this morning, and they said they still have plenty of spots available (i'm really surprised..it's mid-june).

also @RawrSaidthecat: just got my postcard today, as you said I would :D. Now, the waiting game...

I called a couple days ago and they told me the same thing. I was also surprised.

Also, may I ask what you mean by postcard?

Members don't see this ad :)
I called a couple days ago and they told me the same thing. I was also surprised.

Also, may I ask what you mean by postcard?

I mean that they don't send you an enveloped letter. They send you a post-card sized ...piece of paper:rolleyes:... which on the back, has several options that you can check off. It says something on it along the lines of "Your application is missing..." and they check off what they still need. Or, at the bottom they check off that your application is complete.

Although, if you haven't received it, I'm sure you will very soon. They sent mine out a few days after I submitted my application.

I got an email today saying I'm accepted to the IMS program!! :)

Originally, they were interviewing me for the MSP program, but they looked at my last MCAT and figured I'd benefit more from the IMS program.

Now, I wonder if doing it in Sacramento would be best...

When is the interview offered for students who meet the requirements? That same year (for acceptance to the med school the following year) or for the next year after that?

When is the interview offered for students who meet the requirements? That same year (for acceptance to the med school the following year) or for the next year after that?

It's a January interview for August matriculation of the same year.

Found out today my Alma mater neglected to send out my LORs when I requested them on 6/9. Of course that means the process has been delayed for me. Still waiting for everything to come together.

Spoke with someone named 'Stephanie' at Drexel today. When I inquired, she told me the MSP is 'more full' than the IMS and that many people offered entry have not responded. Albeit, she gave no definitive indication about the number of spots left in the MSP program.

Fingers still crossed!

Yeah, they gave me two weeks to decide and deposit the $500.

Someone from our thread got an interview for the MSP. They are interviewing tomorrow.

Yeah, they gave me two weeks to decide and deposit the $500.

Someone from our thread got an interview for the MSP. They are interviewing tomorrow.

May I ask you what they asked you in your phone interview?

"Some of the questions not on the list were:
1) Do you have anything else you'd like to say about your application that was not shown on paper?
2) Do you have any questions about this program?
3) Did you shadow physicians? Share some experiences.
4) How did these clinical experiences and shadowing impact you?
5) How was your time split in undergraduate years?

Of the questions mentioned above, she asked me:
1) How many times did you take the MCAT?
2) What are some of your exposures to medicine?
3) What were you involved in non-clinically?
4) What is a major problem in the US Healthcare system?
5) How do you balance yourself between work and school?
6) What's your support system?"

I found the above on the IMS 2010-2011 thread. They won't ask you all of those. It's supposed to be a 30 min interview, but it depends on how much you talk. Mine did take exactly 30 min and I felt like I did a LOT of talking.

Last edited:
Will be attending IMS. Chose it over Georgetown SMP, Tufts MBS, and BU MAMS.

Stats: 34P MCAT, 3.5 GPA from Columbia U, some clinical experience, no research experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys. I just had my MSP interview this morning, and I feel pretty good about it. I had Laura, and the entire conversation was super relaxed. I started off talking sort of formal and professional, and then by the end it, I completely forgot and started talking to her as more of a peer rather than my interviewer.

Anyways, more importantly, I was asked:

1) How did you hear about the program?
2) Have you even applied to medical school before? (and there's a long set of questions that come with that, but my answer was no so that was skipped)
3) What led you to the decision to become a doctor?
4) How many times have you taken the MCAT, and how did you prepare for it?
5) What were you extracurriculars in college?
6) Describe your exposure to the medical field.
7) What are your future goals in Medicine?
8) What would your peers say about you?
9) What do you do in your spare time?
10) What are your strengths?
11) Why are you a good candidate for this program/for medical school?

It's very straightforward. Look up all the questions that people have been asked in the past (in other SDN blogs), answer all of them, and there will be no surprises. Also, try and have a personality. It helps the interviewer like you, and therefore vouche for you come decision time.

I am supposed to hear a decision from them sometime next week. :xf:

Hey there! Has anyone gotten housing straightened out yet? I need to find a roommate and would love to room with someone in these programs. Thanks!

pdubai, you should be accepted to med school with those stats.

Also, who is going to do the IMS sacramento? Roomates anyone?

Had my interview on Tuesday, Just waiting to hear from them now. Super nervous cause this is like a last shot for me. :scared:
Stats: 3.2 over. 30R

I got in! They placed me in IMS though, so i guess i'll be doing that instead. Good luck to everyone else, hopefully i'll see you all there soon!

I got in! They placed me in IMS though, so i guess i'll be doing that instead. Good luck to everyone else, hopefully i'll see you all there soon!

congrats doctorafromcali! do you mind sharing your stats?

Congrats doctora!!! :) You still going to Philly?

Also, I'm omw to sending that deposit. See ya'll in SAC.

Anybody want to start a Facebook group? I've seen the old ones, but it's time for a fresh start! ;)

Thank you all for ur posts. Any idea how long it takes for Drexel to contact you for interview after they receive your application. I am also wondering how they notify you if they are declining your application? Email? Snail mail?

pdubai, you should be accepted to med school with those stats.

Also, who is going to do the IMS sacramento? Roomates anyone?

What were your reasons for choosing the Sacramento program? I heard there were slightly higher acceptance rates for those students, but I tend to wonder how much of that is just relative to the quality of students there to begin with.

Anyway, thanks for starting the thread and best of luck! I'm still waiting for them to compile everything and give me an interview - hopefully this week.

Last edited:
Hey Guys, I posted this message on the "Official Guide to SMPs" thread, but will go ahead and post it here since I'm setting my sights on Drexel IMS and would like to gain any additional input.

So here's the question:

What should I do if I don't know yet which SMP program I will be attending next year (I know I will be doing one for sure) and don't have it finalized by the time I am ready to submit my AMCAS?

Looking at my last year's AMCAS and through their FAQ, it seems like I won't be able to add another school to the 'Schools Attended' section once it has been submitted and verified. Anyone know of a way to get around this or a person/ phone number @ AAMC that can fix this? Any suggestions? Should I wait (this would entail maybe waiting another month to submit until I know for sure where I'll be going ; I would like to avoid that if I can since last year my AMCAS was submitted around 7/27 and verified on 8/20 = later than I would have liked), or just submit without it and later update all of my schools as to which program I'm in and the courses I am taking/grades, etc.?

Any suggestions or piece of advice would be greatly appreciated!

Grats to everyone that got in, hope to see you all in the fall if you are heading to Sacramento. Good luck to all the people that are attending the one in Philly too.

SoccerDoccer - I am unsure myself, I was thinking of waiting until we got the letter explaining about the program too? But I think if you wanted them to see your grades/etc for this program, they'd put you on hold anyways... I guess I'll look around and find out for myself too. I'll let you know if I find anything about.

Rawr - Hey, actually about that Facebook thing, I was talking to someone else from the Sacramento program a few weeks ago, she mentioned the same thing. We came to the conclusion that maybe it would be a minor distraction that would keep us from doing our work right ? :D. Well, I saw the other Facebook group things, they seemed pretty inactive anyways. I'd join if you make it, but I'm not very active on that... Too many relatives and family members lurking around there!

Devenir - They send you an email and call you a few hours later if they've accepted you or call you once your application is complete if they want to schedule an interview (I'm not sure how they would go about with declining the application). I would call them to see how far along your application is because I sent my application in March/April, but kept having to call to see if they actually received it/my transcripts/etc. But some parts kept getting lost in the mail.

I eventually got tracking for each of my items (Transcripts/Application) to make sure they got there, and called them once everything was there to make sure. Once everything got there, they called me right away for an interview. And they told me I was accepted maybe a week later.

For people going to Sacramento (And maybe Philly?): here is a useful site if you are looking for apartments: http://www.padmapper.com/ (I think it gets some of the information from Craigslist and other sites) - so you can see exactly where you'll move into.

Also I've lived in Sacramento / Elk Grove most of my life, minus the 5-6 years, so if anyone is going there and has questions, I'll try my best to help. Of course the place has changed a bit. I went back there last year and there was this brand new Walmart where the Florin Mall used to be by my dad's and sister's office. Also if anyone needs any help looking for shadowing experience / etc, I might be able to help. Unfortunately I can't help anyone move right now as my wrist is completely destroyed (And I'm not in Sacramento yet).

Last edited:
Was complete on 6/9/11. I posted everything in one package so they got it all at once.

So a little less than 2 weeks after completed they interviewed? Hmm, hope it doesn't take that long for me! They're still waiting on one last transcript. Thanks for the info and good luck! I'm sure you'll be hearing some good news soon

Hey Soccer, I chose the Sacramento program because I live in Cali and it's just a convenience matter. I know what Philly is like (10 F and somber winter days come to mind) and going all the way over there to sit in front of a laptop, which I can do in Cali seems impractical.

I've wondered the same thing. I'm betting most people in the Sac program are from Cali.

NP! I want to start that facebook group, but only if people want to. :)

Thank you all for ur posts. Any idea how long it takes for Drexel to contact you for interview after they receive your application. I am also wondering how they notify you if they are declining your application? Email? Snail mail?

It takes them a week. They notified me by email and then I went ahead and called them to ask them something. I didn't get any acceptance-like stuff via snail mail.

Has anyone sent out their titers info or their health insurance info?

Did you guys get chickering?

I finally decided to enter this program.
I gotta find a place to live now and a roommate or two.

Hey everyone!

I will be moving to Philly at the end of July to attend the IHS program at the center city campus. I read that most of you guys are attending the IMS program but do yall know of anyone whos attending or attended the IHS program?

Also, has everyone found housing?

Last edited:
Rawr: you should definitely do a facebook group. I don't know if you wanted to make it for Sacramento people only, or for both locations. and yes, I'm going to Philly.

Is anyone else joining me there?

Rawr: you should definitely do a facebook group. I don't know if you wanted to make it for Sacramento people only, or for both locations. and yes, I'm going to Philly.

Is anyone else joining me there?

Okie dokie, I'm trying to make it now. But I need to have friends to add on it, otherwise it doesn't let me make it. You can PM me so I can add you on fb and add you to the group. And, I'd make it for both the Philly and Sacramento peeps. :cool:

Hey party people! So tomz1835 has made the facebook group. You don't have to PM me if you don't want to. You can try to find the group. It's here:

:highfive:

Last edited:
Regarding the MSP program. I was wondering if anyone had verifiable (or even unverifiable) statistics regarding rates of attrition, rate of acceptance to MD/DO program, and rate of likelihood of pursuing the masters (MBS).

My application was confirmed to be complete on Wednesday, 6/29. I am still waiting for them to contact me. Fingers still crossed!
Thanks!

Last edited: